Musiland Monitor 01 USD 24/192 USB to SPDIF
May 28, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #16 of 905
The ebay seller apparently had trouble meeting demand so my unit only shipped out earlier this week. Hopefully it will arrive next week. I will be testing it on a Windows XP PC with foobar2000. Sorry, I don't want itunes on my computer.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #17 of 905
I got mine today.

It comes in a plain old cardboard box. Inside, there's the device, a driver CD, USB cable (about 5 inches long), warranty card and installation guide.

The latest driver is v1.3.0, which you can get here:

http://www.musiland.com.cn/downloads...on_1.0.3.0.zip

The device itself is about the size of a 2.5'' hard disk.

On one side are the RCA and BNC connectors. On the other are the USB and TOSLINK ones.

I've done some testing with foobar2000 and playing some movies. It does 5.1 channel AC3 passthrough. The box also says DTS, but I haven't tested that yet.

With foobar2000, you can add it as an ASIO device. When switching between 44.1 and 96KHz files it switches the output sample rate by itself (the display on my 840C says that). I don't have any 192KHz files to try.

Also, it installs a traybar icon which opens up a simple control panel to adjust the volume. It also displays the current output sample rate.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #18 of 905
Thanks for the update. And certainly you will let us know how it sounds (compare to USB), right?
dt880smile.png

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #20 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the control panel allow you to mute the outputs separately?

No, it doesn't. There's a master volume control and then separate controls for WDM and ASIO. You can adjust left and right channels separately if you want.

You can adjust the sample rate for WDM manually. The default is AUTO. There's also a setting for ASIO buffer size.

And that's about it.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #22 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it doesn't. There's a master volume control and then separate controls for WDM and ASIO. You can adjust left and right channels separately if you want.

You can adjust the sample rate for WDM manually. The default is AUTO. There's also a setting for ASIO buffer size.

And that's about it.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll wait and see if they make a version with both analog and coaxial outputs.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #23 of 905
Hmm, that's interesting. Is it absolutely bit perfect if it has a master volume control? I mean, it would alter the digital output when changing the volume...this isn't a DAC...

Could you find some 192 khz material to try?
You can PM me.

Thank you for your observations so far.

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #24 of 905
I don't understand the use of this thing - forgive the noob-ness of my question or whatever but - if I have a headphone amp that has USB , do I need one of these or ?
If yes, why ? I do prefer to hear 24 bit music when at all possible ...
Just not sure of the application of these converters ..

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #25 of 905
This one is really only useful to you if you want to have an optical TOSLINK output from your computer and you don't have one for whatever reason (for example, you want to digitally hook up your computer to a home A/V receiver). I came across this looking for the opposite...a way to get a TOSLINK INPUT into my computer. Haven't had much luck there but barely looked anyways...

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #26 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, that's interesting. Is it absolutely bit perfect if it has a master volume control? I mean, it would alter the digital output when changing the volume...this isn't a DAC...

Could you find some 192 khz material to try?
You can PM me.

Thank you for your observations so far.

I think it should be bit perfect if you leave the volume at max? I don't have equipment to test it though.

As for 192KHz output, I added the resampler in foobar, set it to 192KHz and my DAC says that it's receiving 192KHz so it seems to be working.

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #27 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand the use of this thing - forgive the noob-ness of my question or whatever but - if I have a headphone amp that has USB , do I need one of these or ?
If yes, why ? I do prefer to hear 24 bit music when at all possible ...
Just not sure of the application of these converters ..

It's for those of use who use DACs (or in my case, a DAC, Word Clock, Upsampler) that only have S/PDIF inputs, not usb. It's a gloried converter.

(You do not need it)

NK

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #29 of 905
Just trying out my Musiland Monitor01 USD for the first time today. It works at passing through 24/96 just fine. So far I can't hear any differences between it and my Trends at 16/44.1. The ASIO drivers work without any problems in foobar on XP.

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #30 of 905
Cool! Have been waiting for your update for a long time. Could you let us know more when you have time for more serious listening? It could be very good solution for us. Or maybe your DAC is just so good that your system become transport (USD) independent.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back