Musiland Monitor 01 USD 24/192 USB to SPDIF
Jul 9, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #47 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far it sounds as good as the Trends, with the added bonus of supporting higher bit and sampling rates. You don't have to fiddle with asio4all on the Musiland. The Musiland is also smaller, and looks and feels better than the Trends.

That it sounds the same as the Trends at 16/44.1 is actually a good thing in my opinion. I've heard usb audio conversion done poorly as well. For example, the Trends (and Musiland) both sound better converting usb to spdif than does the usb to spdif converter built-in to my DacMagic.

All that and the Musiland is less expensive than the Trends. I can easily recommend it as my favourite usb to spdif converter to date. I can't say whether there will be any issues running it on Vista or Windows 7 though.

How do you power your Trends?

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #48 of 905
The first picture shows bnc and coax out, the board shows toslink and usb input.
What is the actual configuration. Does it have bnc and coax on front and usb and toslink on the back? The input is only USB, right? Does it actually accept 24/192?

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #50 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by krusty09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes it has one usb input on one side and a bnc and optical output one the other.

this works with vista 64bit home edition and it sounds great with my stello dac.

Yes? Sorry, your answer is a bit confusing.
The spec says coax, bnc and opical. I see just coax and bnc on this picture, so I assume usb and optical are on the other side, not what you stated. BTW, Stello has quite decent USB implementation, have you noticed any improvement playing RedBook material over Stello with ASIO4ALL.
200941101747141.jpg

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #52 of 905
USB to optical work? since they are on the same side?

Or do you pick one and output to BNC/RCA?

THIS LOOKS SWEET!

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #53 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB to optical work? since they are on the same side?

Or do you pick one and output to BNC/RCA?

THIS LOOKS SWEET!

I doubt that anything except USB to everything else works as any conversion requires power and only USB can carry some.

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #54 of 905
What I mean is, usb > bnc/rca but can it do usb/optical since both are on the same side of the unit.

i know usb is the start, are their 3 end points? bnc, rca, optical?

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #55 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I mean is, usb > bnc/rca but can it do usb/optical since both are on the same side of the unit.

i know usb is the start, are their 3 end points? bnc, rca, optical?

If it can't work as in due to lack of external power, what else it's good for?

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #56 of 905
Can we extract I2S signal from Musiland 01 USD ? If it does, it is good transport for DIY DAC.

I think it is possible on Musiland 01 US (or 02 US) b/c it has PCM1793 on board

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #58 of 905
if anyone who has one of these could also take maybe an hour of time and download/burn a live ubuntu cdrom and do a live-boot (not install, but just a cdrom based test drive) and let us know if the device is even seen by linux? or if it tries to get its xilinx ucode from the pc? there are ways to snag the microcode so that fxload (I think that's what its called) can supply it when the usb device cold boots (power-on, microcode download).

I'm tempted to get one and try, but I really don't want to be stuck with a windows-only device. (otoh, I'm game to order one and try if someone who *wants* the windows side of things is willing to buy mine if it won't run on linux)
wink.gif

but a quick boot on a live cdrom based linux system and a few commands should give us an idea if this can be made to work for more than windows, or not.

anyone up for it, that has one at home?

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #59 of 905
Andrew what are you talking about? Can you plug usb into your pc, and plug optical into your dac and run it? thats all I want to know

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #60 of 905
I believe he's talking about a lack of PSU on it.

I have a couple of these converters (not the one mentioned here) and one of them has an optional psu. On the one with the psu, if you input usb you do not need the psu. The psu is only needed if you want to input optical and output coax or vice versa (for whatever reason).

However, what makes this one a bit confusing is the optical is on the usb (input) side. Usually, inputs on one side and outputs on the other with these converters. Unless it has optical and usb input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back