Musiland Monitor 01 USD 24/192 USB to SPDIF
Aug 29, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #256 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it will probably improve upon the USB input of the Compass.
I have an Audio-gd DAC-100 which is basically the DAC section of the Compass and I had very good results putting the musiland between the computer and the spdif input of the dac. You just have to use it with a decent quality spdif cable.

Aite, thanks. I will probably buy the coaxial cable that Audio-gd sells here. That should work with the Musiland unit right?

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #257 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aite, thanks. I will probably buy the coaxial cable that Audio-gd sells here. That should work with the Musiland unit right?

That cable should work fine (though I tested a slightly different Canare Digital with my system).
However, I have had much better results with a cable from "Hifi Cables et Compagnie" here but it is a bit expensive in comparison (130euros for 1m).
You might want to check cables from Blue Jeans Cables. According to users in the ref1 thread, it is supposed to be much better than any other spdif cable when used in lengths above 15ft. Something to do with reflection.
I have just ordered yesterday an 18ft. Belden 1694A BNC cable which only costs about 24usd. I will report back how it performs against my other digital cables when I get it.

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #258 of 905
Just to fill in the full picture - here's some RMAA results for these units with the internal PMC1793 DAC - the first one Monitor 01 US is the same as the USD but with PCM1793 DAC - the second one Monitors 02 US, has PCM1793 also & two headphone outs but is powered from it's internal SMPS

These results are pretty good! The internal PS (even though a SMPS) improves the 02 results somewhat

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #259 of 905
I got it today, but I failed to make it work.
How does it work?
I installed the driver and connected US 01 to my laptop (running XP) and to an amp.
Then I ran winamp, but no sound comes out. The headphone does not work either.
Am I missing something?

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #260 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by dinga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got it today, but I failed to make it work.
How does it work?
I installed the driver and connected US 01 to my laptop (running XP) and to an amp.
Then I ran winamp, but no sound comes out. The headphone does not work either.
Am I missing something?

I don't use Winamp, but of the two media players that I have used, there usually is a procedure I need to go through to tell the software which output I want to use. Try that.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #261 of 905
You must select the output source on your media player. Winamp im not too familiar with the settings menu's. But just goto audio properties and output. Should be on DirectSound or something and switch it to usb.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #263 of 905
which media player do you use?
I have Windows media player and winamp. I could not find any options to redirect the output in the properties.
yes, I opened the the monitor series control panel.
please help!
thx

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #264 of 905
foobar2k

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #266 of 905
For those of you who already have the Musiland checkout these recordings at up 24/192 FLAC
smily_headphones1.gif

High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services (FREE!)

On Blu-Ray (Stereo 24/192 and even 5.1 channel 24/192):

2L audiophile reference recordings, The Nordic Sound, MP3 Download - 2L - Powered by Klicktrack MDT

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #267 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by glt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose it is obvious, but first you redirect the sound to the device in the sound control panel, then some applications let you choose the internal path (asio or kmixer, I think)

Sorry for my ignorance. I am not a computer audio guy and this is my first attempt to listen to mp3 files from my full audio system. So, please bear with me. On the musiland sound control box I see two menus (System and MMDI). Do I need to bother of those?
Then I see two tabs -- Mixer and Advance. On Mixer tab there are four small windows -- Analog CH, Digital CH, WDM, and ASIO. Do I need to change any default setting? The default settings are
Analog CH: Sync, Line, 50 50
Digital CH: Sync, 100 100
WDM: Sync, ANA, 100 100
ASIO: Sync, ANA, 100 100

Current SR: 48

Is there anything that needs to be changed? I guess I don't need to worry about the Advance tab. Anything else I need to worry about? I will try foobar and see if it works on my system.

Many thanks.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #268 of 905
Quote:

Originally Posted by dinga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for my ignorance. I am not a computer audio guy and this is my first attempt to listen to mp3 files from my full audio system. So, please bear with me. On the musiland sound control box I see two menus (System and MMDI). Do I need to bother of those?
Then I see two tabs -- Mixer and Advance. On Mixer tab there are four small windows -- Analog CH, Digital CH, WDM, and ASIO. Do I need to change any default setting? The default settings are
Analog CH: Sync, Line, 50 50
Digital CH: Sync, 100 100
WDM: Sync, ANA, 100 100
ASIO: Sync, ANA, 100 100

Current SR: 48

Is there anything that needs to be changed? I guess I don't need to worry about the Advance tab. Anything else I need to worry about? I will try foobar and see if it works on my system.

Many thanks.

Here is my control panel

01usd1.jpg

01usd.jpg

Make sure you select the correct output in Foobar...

clipboard01zlq.jpg

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #270 of 905
Guys, I got my 01 US today (along with a Lepai amp - just for kicks & mods). Jeez, this thing sounds sweet with crappy Sony headphones even from an old Dell inspiron 6000 Laptop while surfing & downloading high res files, I get no hiccups - mighty impressed. Sound is, you know all the cliches, analogue, veils removed, etc, etc but it is sweet & smooth with detail, nice! Listening at the moment, to Buddy Guy - Buddy's Baddest, man that guy knows how to complain about women in the most melodic way I've heard!

Anyway, this is running off USB power and with the middle of the road DAC PCM1793 & OP275 op-amp output stage. God knows how this will sound with external PS into a Sabre DAC?

Oh, yea, meant to ask, what's the MMDI / HD-Box, HF-Box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back