Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Oct 28, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #661 of 1,482
My DI-20 is sitting on top of the Pegasus, so I could probably also get away with using a 10cm HDMI cable like you mentioned in the linked post. I might order one today.

Wow, the huge DI-20 on top of the tiny Pegasus? I also have the Pegasus now but will wait for the Aquarius before I dare to do that...
Or maybe you have the DI-20 and it is smaller than the HE version?

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #662 of 1,482
maybe you have the DI-20 and it is smaller than the HE version?
That's right, the DI-20 uses a different chassi than the HE version. It's similar in width to the Pegasus and maybe 2-3cm shallower, so it fits on top with no issue. I have now ordered a couple short HDMI cables on Aliexpress, including the one you mentioned with the angled connectors. The shipping date is sometime in December, so it'll be a while before I report back on how it sounds compared to my 50cm Supra HDMI cable.

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #663 of 1,482
That's right, the DI-20 uses a different chassi than the HE version. It's similar in width to the Pegasus and maybe 2-3cm shallower, so it fits on top with no issue. I have now ordered a couple short HDMI cables on Aliexpress, including the one you mentioned with the angled connectors. The shipping date is sometime in December, so it'll be a while before I report back on how it sounds compared to my 50cm Supra HDMI cable.
Nice, we will be able to compare notes... :)

Oct 28, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #664 of 1,482
So, I didn't take a note but I used both the Denafrips pack mentioned here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/musician-audio-pegasus-r2r-dac.942618/post-16626895
I had been looking for it since in the "Device manager" I had a "HiRes Audio F-20" driver installed incorrectly.
And Sajunky's advice on disabling the mandatory driver signature check

After checking, I have installed via the Denafrips software a libusb0.dll version (74,5k - 2019\08\25) present in the amd64 folder.
Thanks man, this worked!

Going back to my question re exclusive mode, I noticed that with any app (Tidal/Qobuz/Roon/Audirvana), when I pause playback, Roon and Audirvana (visually indicates) that they have released exclusive mode but when I try to play something on Youtube, it doesn't work until I close the music app. This only affects the Pegasus and not my Sony TA. Any idea why?

Oct 29, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #665 of 1,482
Going back to my question re exclusive mode, I noticed that with any app (Tidal/Qobuz/Roon/Audirvana), when I pause playback, Roon and Audirvana (visually indicates) that they have released exclusive mode but when I try to play something on Youtube, it doesn't work until I close the music app. This only affects the Pegasus and not my Sony TA. Any idea why?
So it is with me
On the Audirvana Website ;
Audirvāna Studio takes exclusive access to the audio device (i.e. your DAC) during playback to be able to implement its sound signal optimizations.

Thus no other application (such as Chrome, Firefox, etc…) can send sound to the audio device used by Audirvāna Studio until it is in Stop mode.

If another application still tries to send sound during playback, macOS will try to find another available audio device for it.

When playback stops, Audirvāna Studio restores access to the audio device, and any other application can then use it.

Until I exit the application, I can't hear the sound either on the video player or in the browsers (Windows)

I don't know why it's only present with Pegasus

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #666 of 1,482
Update from Aoshida regarding Aquarius delivery:
As for Aquarius, at present, the products have been mass produced, but due to the global chip shortage, the software testing problem still needs to be solved. We will try our best to strive for time to deliver in November as soon as possible. Please wait patiently for some time. Thank you. Once we get the product from factory, we will arrange deliver it according to the order schedule.

Oct 29, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #667 of 1,482
Thanks man, this worked!

Glad to hear. Two questions:

1. Is your Sony a Windows default sound device?
2. Do you have a second option selected as on the screenshot?

Attachments

• exclusive_mode.png
    exclusive_mode.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #668 of 1,482
Pegase has landed well here. Seems quite promising, only downside for the moment a bit "sharp" we'll give it some time to see.
I have a question: is the RCA output at the same level as XLR?
Thanks

Oct 29, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #669 of 1,482
I haven't seen anyone compare the outputs to test the volume, but most likely yes. The Pegasus doesn't have an output stage after the ladders like most dacs do, therefore Musician discourages users from having XLR and RCA plugged in at the same time. It'll have an adverse effect on sound quality. The positive of this approach is the lack of extra parts in the signal chain, so in ideal conditions you'll hear everything the dac has to give in terms of detail. But the negative is an unconventional output impedance, and that one probably shouldn't use both outputs at the same time.

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #670 of 1,482
Pegase has landed well here. Seems quite promising, only downside for the moment a bit "sharp" we'll give it some time to see.
Thanks
If your dac is brand new one, then give it some break in time. Normally I don't believe burn in stuff but it is true with these r2r dacs. If possible, just use xlr output. This is a true balanced dac which would benefit from xlr output.

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #671 of 1,482
Ok thanks for the info. I'm a real idiot in electronics, and maybe in many other things but that's another story;;:).
I'm going to use the Monoceros XLR preamp behind Pegasus to drive active speakers, do you see any possibility to use the Monoceros RCA clinch output to drive headphones?

(I understood that the RCA AND XLR outputs of Pegasus should not be used at the same time)

I think that Pegasus is very possibly a good deal, let's not say it too loudly :)

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #672 of 1,482
Glad to hear. Two questions:

1. Is your Sony a Windows default sound device?
2. Do you have a second option selected as on the screenshot?
The Sony has its own driver and yes I have the second option for it and the Pegasus as well.

capture1.PNG

Attachments

• 1635598805844.png
    1635598805844.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 30, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #673 of 1,482
do you see any possibility to use the Monoceros RCA clinch output to drive headphones?
It's possible, but it wouldn't sound right. Pre-amps like the Monoceros have a higher output impedance on their rear outputs than dedicated headphone amplifiers. It's because they're intended for different uses. You will get sound, and it might even sound great, but you will get a different sound than the headphone manufacturer intended. Depending on how sensitive the headphone is to impedance mismatches, it could make the sound very bassy and bloated. But if this is only for occasional use, then it might be good enough.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #674 of 1,482
It's possible, but it wouldn't sound right. Pre-amps like the Monoceros have a higher output impedance on their rear outputs than dedicated headphone amplifiers. It's because they're intended for different uses. You will get sound, and it might even sound great, but you will get a different sound than the headphone manufacturer intended. Depending on how sensitive the headphone is to impedance mismatches, it could make the sound very bassy and bloated. But if this is only for occasional use, then it might be good enough.
yes, sorry I misspoke, I meant to use the RCA outputs of the preamp for a headphone amp ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back