Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Aug 24, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #541 of 1,484
Hello guys, new Pegasus owner here, bought it for my newly updated speaker system where I was using a Hugo2 I had around until something more permanent was coming along. I was curious about R2R as I never heard one before and here it is. In the beginning it sounded awful, really horrible, day by day it started sounding better and better. Quite happy with it now after about a week of use. I am using an Auralic Aries Mini (original SMPS) as a source and is pretty crappy. USB sounds congested, Coaxial is better but still affected by digital noise. Optical pretty much rocks so far. I have in the mail a Singxer Su-6 and can't wait to test the I2s and AES inputs. Changed the fuse (only the one for 230V) for an SR Orange I had around but the one I replaced was actually 1A and not 2A as reported here?!?
Welcome!

The Aries Mini truly benefits from a LPS. I used to have one, then an Aries Femto (also with LPS), and now the G1 (not going to the G2!).

My favorite fuses in the Pegasus (and all my gear now) are the QSA Light Blues. SR Orange has a slightly better midrange and is more tube-like, but now I'm running a tube amp, so the QSA's win for me on the other ends of the spectrum.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #542 of 1,484
How is the latency on the Pegasus compared to denafrips? Curious about the pegasus because of its i2s input vs the ares2

Sep 4, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #543 of 1,484
I wish you and everyone good health and lots of good music:tada::champagne:
What stopped you at Pegasus, did you follow the instructions from Musician? That road is waiting for me too, so I'm interested.
And I'm still interested in whether the combo - D 90 + SU-2 sounds better than Pegasus
Hey, I'm a new owner of the Pegasus and have to say thanks for all the useful info in this thread from other Head Fiers.

T1000:
I haven't heard a D90 + SU-2 combo but Pegasus + SU-1 is much better than my old setup which was using the D70 + SU-1

If anyone's interested, I've managed to successfully use an old Singxer SU-1 I2S connection with the Pegasus.
I was using direct USB from my PC to Pegasus.
Now switched to USB > SU-1 > I2S > Pegasus
(my SU-1 only has 8 dip switches)

I just left the Singxer on the same settings I was using for my previous DAC, a Topping D70.

Instructions from Singxer (Leter) to connect to D70 using I2S:
Your version is the old version of SU1, with only 8 switches.

Dip switches:
3/6 ON, other switches OFF.
Use v2.02 or v2.22 firmware

Very satisfied with the results now and, in my system, is an improvement over direct USB connection from my PC.

This is my setup:
PC > AQ Carbon USB > SU-1 > Wireworld Starlight 5.2 HDMI > Pegasus > Mark Grant HDX1 RCA Cables > Icon Audio HP8 MKII > ZMF Aeolus

The sound is rocking now. Clear, clean, 3D, punchy bass that is now hitting much lower, improved decay, smoother treble, vivid.

The connection I used before was very good (usb via AQ Carbon) but I think the signal sounds more pure now, more dynamic and better attack. The WW Starlight cable helps a lot, as does the AQ Carbon usb.

When I've got the funds, I will consider upgrading the DDC to an Audio-GD DI-20. It should be a significant improvement over my old SU-1, from what I've read.

Haven't got round to changing the fuse in the Pegasus yet, as many have advised, but I'm also looking forward to this little mini upgrade.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #545 of 1,484
T

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #546 of 1,484
u

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #547 of 1,484
Hey, I'm a new owner of the Pegasus and have to say thanks for all the useful info in this thread from other Head Fiers.

T1000:
I haven't heard a D90 + SU-2 combo but Pegasus + SU-1 is much better than my old setup which was using the D70 + SU-1

If anyone's interested, I've managed to successfully use an old Singxer SU-1 I2S connection with the Pegasus.
I was using direct USB from my PC to Pegasus.
Now switched to USB > SU-1 > I2S > Pegasus
(my SU-1 only has 8 dip switches)

I just left the Singxer on the same settings I was using for my previous DAC, a Topping D70.

Instructions from Singxer (Leter) to connect to D70 using I2S:
Your version is the old version of SU1, with only 8 switches.

Dip switches:
3/6 ON, other switches OFF.
Use v2.02 or v2.22 firmware

Very satisfied with the results now and, in my system, is an improvement over direct USB connection from my PC.

This is my setup:
PC > AQ Carbon USB > SU-1 > Wireworld Starlight 5.2 HDMI > Pegasus > Mark Grant HDX1 RCA Cables > Icon Audio HP8 MKII > ZMF Aeolus

The sound is rocking now. Clear, clean, 3D, punchy bass that is now hitting much lower, improved decay, smoother treble, vivid.

The connection I used before was very good (usb via AQ Carbon) but I think the signal sounds more pure now, more dynamic and better attack. The WW Starlight cable helps a lot, as does the AQ Carbon usb.

When I've got the funds, I will consider upgrading the DDC to an Audio-GD DI-20. It should be a significant improvement over my old SU-1, from what I've read.

Haven't got round to changing the fuse in the Pegasus yet, as many have advised, but I'm also looking forward to this little mini upgrade.
Aoshida customer service told me i2s pin out for the Musician Aquarius dac no doubt Pegasus also is compatible with i2s pin out of PS Audio , Soundware, Jays Audio , Gustard, Singxer, Matrix, to name a few.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #548 of 1,484
How is the latency on the Pegasus compared to denafrips? Curious about the pegasus because of its i2s input vs the ares2

20210915_205942.jpg

I went and tried it out at my local audio shop, connected my Denafrips Iris to the Pegasus via i2s, pin configuration 5.

I liked what I heard, and promptly bought it.

And for you that is googling this right now, there is no observable latency in my setup

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #550 of 1,484
can you tell us what changes in the sound Iris brings
comparing direct usb from my pc against the iris i2s -> pegasus, the main difference to me is that instruments sound clearer, and better separated.

But I'll be honest with all of you reading this, I am honestly unsure if its psychoacoustics or not, I do not know the technicalities of what happens in the background, so it could be snakeoil for all I know.

I personally would not recommend others to spend money because I do not know if its a marked improvement for you , but FOR ME, I BELIEVE the i2s connection makes my setup sound better, even coaxial sounds better to me over direct usb of the musician pegasus.

I have heard that in DACs with fantastic usb implementation (specifically the Spring 3 KTE), a DDC is useless, so ymmv. Best case is if you know someone that has a DDC and DAC you want, and hope they let you test their setup out for you to make your own judgement.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #551 of 1,484
comparing direct usb from my pc against the iris i2s -> pegasus, the main difference to me is that instruments sound clearer, and better separated.

But I'll be honest with all of you reading this, I am honestly unsure if its psychoacoustics or not, I do not know the technicalities of what happens in the background, so it could be snakeoil for all I know.

I personally would not recommend others to spend money because I do not know if its a marked improvement for you , but FOR ME, I BELIEVE the i2s connection makes my setup sound better, even coaxial sounds better to me over direct usb of the musician pegasus.

I have heard that in DACs with fantastic usb implementation (specifically the Spring 3 KTE), a DDC is useless, so ymmv. Best case is if you know someone that has a DDC and DAC you want, and hope they let you test their setup out for you to make your own judgement.
Thanks for sharing,
My uncertainty about buying I2s is in the fact that by replacing the old USB Wireworld ultraviolet 5 with the new Inakustik Reference USB 2.0 I had a qualitative leap as if I had bought a twice as expensive DAC, and what bothers me is whether a 1k investment would bring any improvement

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #553 of 1,484
Did someone here bought the musician Aquarius dac? I am searching for impressions about it
I did ,delivery will be soon , I’m with a group checking out a number of digital front end sources including dacs , myself bang for the buck components are an interest , Will see about the Musician Aquarius…

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #554 of 1,484
I did ,delivery will be soon , I’m with a group checking out a number of digital front end sources including dacs , myself bang for the buck components are an interest , Will see about the Musician Aquarius…
I will wait for your impressions of aquarius dac, do you know that aquarius needs three weeks of burn in? I read the aquarius review on soundnews and the reviewer mentioned that in the first few days of audition aquarius was playing really bad, so he did the burn in process for three weeks, and wow, dac turned around playing magnificently well.

Sep 15, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #555 of 1,484
I will wait for your impressions of aquarius dac, do you know that aquarius needs three weeks of burn in? I read the aquarius review on soundnews and the reviewer mentioned that in the first few days of audition aquarius was playing really bad, so he did the burn in process for three weeks, and wow, dac turned around playing magnificently well.
I have Aquarius fed by Singxer SU-2 via I2S. Then signal goes to Little Dot VI+ and LCD4.
I cannot say that it is great improvement over my previous Audio GD R-1, but I like the sound more especially with NOS.
I use it about 3 weeks and turn off only for daytime when I go to work, so approximately it is 16h per 20 days - 320h. Yes, it sounds definitely better, but I am not golden ear :) sorry cannot provide the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back