Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #571 of 1,482
I have the May and the Pegasus. The Pegasus punches up... If you're coming from a entry level dac to the Pegasus, I don't think you will be disappointed. I came from a Topping D90 to Pegasus and the difference was enormous. The D90 appeared to be more detailed but analytical and two dimensional, while the Pegasus was almost as resolving as the D90, it also had a more holographic and layered presentation. The May though, is a different beast. It's like they share a similar lineage with the Pegasus but the May branched out and evolved further.

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #572 of 1,482
Does Pegasus use the "self-developed" digital filters, like those of the later models? That might account for any perceived increase in resolution.
Not sure.

One noticeable difference I can speak of is when you have NOS enabled, the sound is smoother, less edges. In oversampling mode, you can hear more definition and sharper highs.

I tried both NOS/OS mode in the Ares II when I compared it with the Pegasus - Pegasus was still better irregardless. It also costs more though too.

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #573 of 1,482
I tried both NOS/OS mode in the Ares II when I compared it with the Pegasus - Pegasus was still better irregardless. It also costs more though too.
It means in both Ares and Pegasus there is really no NOS mode. For Ares II so called NOS is in fact 16xOS using a different image reconstruction method called "linear interpolation" -not using DSP. Digital filtering gives better results, no wonder.

Oct 2, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #574 of 1,482
I have the May and the Pegasus. The Pegasus punches up... If you're coming from a entry level dac to the Pegasus, I don't think you will be disappointed. I came from a Topping D90 to Pegasus and the difference was enormous. The D90 appeared to be more detailed but analytical and two dimensional, while the Pegasus was almost as resolving as the D90, it also had a more holographic and layered presentation. The May though, is a different beast. It's like they share a similar lineage with the Pegasus but the May branched out and evolved further.
Thanks or sharing that. If had the space (and the cha-thing) for the May - that would be my next DAC.

Oct 2, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #575 of 1,482
Ares 2 nos mode is veiled in my opinion. I was using ares with OS mode. On the other hand, pegasus NOS mode smoothes the edges without sacrificing too much details. OS mode on pegasus provides micro details close to delta sigma dacs. I had toping dx7 pro at the same time. It is not d90 but still very resolving with ess 9038pro. What I like with pegasus is, nos mode is still very clear with details and great sound stage. When I want to hear more details I switch to OS modes.

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #576 of 1,482
Thanks or sharing that. If had the space (and the cha-thing) for the May - that would be my next DAC.
In other threads some would kill me for what I wrote about May/Springs. It is also not NOS, just in a different way. And scrambling... more similar to Delta-Sigma sound than a ladder DAC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 3, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #577 of 1,482
It means in both Ares and Pegasus there is really no NOS mode. For Ares II so called NOS is in fact 16xOS using a different image reconstruction method called "linear interpolation" -not using DSP. Digital filtering gives better results, no wonder.
In other threads some would kill me for what I wrote about May/Springs. It is also not NOS, just in a different way. And scrambling... more similar to Delta-Sigma sound than a ladder DAC.
lol, I don't know enough about NOS to kill you - so you are safe for the time being with me :)

Oct 4, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #580 of 1,482
We don’t see you over on AudioPhileStyle forums , however to be fair perhaps I missed your comments on the forums ,..

Oct 4, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #581 of 1,482
We don’t see you over on AudioPhileStyle forums , however to be fair perhaps I missed your comments on the forums ,..
I don't know what is special with AudiophileStyle. You can find my recent posts regarding Holo Audio here an a follow up. Holo Audio has inspired discussion about scrambling techniques on the DiyAudio forum (covered on the last 30 pages - just before a story about cricket chirps hitting US spies). It can improve measured (static) performance, some scientific papers are presented. It is somehow related to the main discussion which is about what makes NOS so special.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #583 of 1,482
Has anyone made A/B comparison with Ares II? Do they have the same spacious sound? And how does the sound differ after all?

I did and I sold my ares 2 and kept the pegasus. Pegasus' soundstage is better I think. Not day and night difference but still better. You can feel the space between instruments better. The most dramatic difference; pegasus is more resolving dac. I was using ares with OS mode. In my opinion nos mode is veiled when I compare with OS mode on the ares 2. I am using NOS mode with the pegasus. NOS mode still very resolving without sharp edges. OS mode on the pegasus is very close to delta sigma chips. I had also topping dx7 pro with ess 9038pro chip at the same time and I noticed this when I was doing tests with topping also. ess 9038pro still provides micro details better but again not day and night difference. So after these tests, I decided to keep pegasus and sold ares 2 and dx7 pro. In my opinion, pegasus is better dac than ares in every aspect. I bought the pegasus as used so there weren't any huge price difference with the ares 2. It was no brainer for me to keep the pegasus.

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #584 of 1,482
I have not taken delivery of the Aquarius yet , apparently Musician Audio are back logged with orders so the usual two week wait is temporarily extended to four plus weeks so I’ve been told by a representative of Musician Audio , typical delays during these times though it’s coming up to 5 weeks since I placed the order I expect to be notified soon ,,..
Hey, Still no news of the Aquarius's ETA? Thanks !

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #585 of 1,482
Hey, Still no news of the Aquarius's ETA? Thanks !

On 7 October I received this message from Aoshida:
We have been asking the musician factory and following up the situation. They replied that it was estimated to be in the middle and late October, but they haven't given us accurate information. They just told us it's fast. In addition, our website shows that 10 pcs Aquarius are for the convenience of some customers to place orders, but in fact, we haven't got any Aquarius from Musicians. If we get products from them, we will let you know. Please don't worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back