Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Aug 16, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,021 of 1,502
120v needing 2 fuses, sad about it! Looked them up as I was reading through this thread and though the price of 199,95 was for the pair. Negative. Single price. Time to save a bit more, but seems it'll be well worth it as per everyone's experience with the purple fuses.

Edit: Did anyone ever get to try the DI-20HE DDC with the Pegasus. I know the DI-20 worked via i2s with it, so I assume the DI-20HE will work the same. Been going back and forth on what DDC to pair with my incoming Pegasus. Actually have a Singxer SU-6 on the way, but I think I prematurely made the choice to get it before doing further research and am considering returning it. I'm also considering pairing the Peg with one of the Musician DDCs (Pisces or Leo), but nobody has made comments on them or reviewed them. Phoenix is not in my budget at the moment, so I turned to Denafrips Hermes + Iris. Someone earlier mentioned Hermes didn't work with the the Peg, but then others confirmed Iris did. Odd that the Hermes wouldn't work, but the Iris would. So if anyone has used the Musician Pisces/Leo and/or the DI-20HE, I'm very interested to see your thoughts especially if paired with the Peg.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #1,022 of 1,502
Edit: Did anyone ever get to try the DI-20HE DDC with the Pegasus. I know the DI-20 worked via i2s with it, so I assume the DI-20HE will work the same.
DI-20HE comes with regenerative power supply, it is the only difference between non-HE version.

Aug 17, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #1,023 of 1,502
DI-20HE comes with regenerative power supply, it is the only difference between non-HE version.
right. I like that I'd be able to add the 10Mhz clock as well if I wanted to.

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #1,024 of 1,502
Not sure what version it is. Maybe someone knows? I believe this is the last revision.
IMG_0390.jpeg

Replaced both fuses (Gustard Slow-blow (T) 1.6A) for now. Then I will replace one with a stock one and check the difference.

IMG_0391.jpeg

I may need to allow time for the fuses to burn up. What immediately became noticeable was a significant increase in the volume of the sound stage, the geometry of the space became more rounded, it added very well to the depth of the soundstage, the sound became much more natural and three-dimensional. I also hear a significant improvement in the layering and separation of instruments, the sound has become much more airy, more engaging, more mature, if I may say so.

At the same time, the bass became drier, less impactful, rather it became more alive. But perhaps the sound will still be transformed.

Overall Pegasus DAC is pretty good. Unfortunately, my cheaper (in 1.5 times) DIY multi-bit DAC (TDA1545 + BeagleBone Black) leaves no chance for the more expensive Pegasus. But I plan to compare it head-on with Topping D70s later. Then I'll decide which one to keep at home.

Sep 1, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #1,025 of 1,502
Oh sheesh - bought the wrong ones. No wonder..I'll give it another go with 2A fuses.

These should work right?

Hifi Tuning Supreme 3 Copper Slow 5 x 20mm Audio Grade Fuses T2.0A
Do you buy this fuse ? What's the result ?
Thanks

Sep 9, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #1,027 of 1,502
Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #1,028 of 1,502
The integrated LAN function is interesting. It makes it a Roon Bridge but I did not see any NAA (HQP) capability.
Let's wait for a direct comparison but no effect: "whaoo, let's throw the Pegasus out the window !" :wink:

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/gustard-r26/
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-musician-pegasus-r2r-dac/

See Multitone and THD..
Another Audioscience guy review. I would rather keep functions DAC and network streamer separate. The former one will serve for 15 years, the later you can replace with a new Rpi model in two years.

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #1,029 of 1,502
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #1,033 of 1,502
Yes, I'd really like to compare. The Peg sounds great with my fuse change and using the I2S from a Douk DDC with femto clock....but I'm curious if the R26 is even better for only a small bit more money.
Sandu: With R26 you can forget about Denafrips, as I liked it more than the Terminator Plus. Slow FIFO buffers of Denafrips units are holding them down..considerably.

Sep 28, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #1,034 of 1,502
Yes, I'd really like to compare. The Peg sounds great with my fuse change and using the I2S from a Douk DDC with femto clock....but I'm curious if the R26 is even better for only a small bit more money.
Audio GD R-8Mk2 is about $1700, it doesn't need Douk Audio poorman DDC workaround for ground loops problem, as it has galvanic isolation on USB port. Of course fem-to second clocks are standard (like in the basic model R-1 2021 model for $900). A quality DDC like DI-20 (or DI-20HE) still help, but a real advantage of such configuration is when adding external clock, as R-8Mk2 has 10MHz port for a third-party external clock.

You can take a first approach of throwing things out of the window on the first insane review, or build components carefully by adding a desired feature when you can afford it. The 10MHz external clock port is an unusual feature in the price bracket below $2k. External clock is usually better quality than the internal one. Upgradability is one key feature. A second one is technical: When multiple components use the same frequency source, clock synchronisation is made without losses in sound quality and/or increasing latency.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #1,035 of 1,502
Yes, worked great. Purely subjective, but I feel like the fuse change enhanced the sound. Made the Peg even more holographic sounding and I hate to say it but "musical"
So I also bought it. I'm installing it this weekend and anxiously awaiting the verdict. Anyway thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back