Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Dec 20, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #751 of 1,482
It's a paradox. If a placebo opened my horizons, then it ceases to be a placebo:wink:
This is like a disease that affect only certain brands and their fans. :)

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #752 of 1,482
This is like a disease that affect only certain brands and their fans. :)
I have nothing against your thesis, even if no one in the world hears the difference - if I hear it, but you should know that in science every thesis needs to be confirmed in practice to be accepted as a fact.
After all, it doesn't matter to me to convince anyone of my beliefs.
For a while, I was convinced that cables make no difference, but to find out that they do, I needed more sensitive devices.
Yes, Pegasus is sensitive
I noticed that the loudest and most persistent persons in forums (in terms of cables and other components) are those to whom logic imposes their opinion, without ever experimenting, in most cases
I don't believe that you fall into that category, I think that in this hobby you are more driven by engineering and less by your love for music.
Either way,
enjoy the music:)

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #753 of 1,482
After approximately 175 hours of burn-in, I still can't discern any difference between NOS and Upsampling on my Pegasus. I even tried switching the button between the two with my eyes closed and simply couldn't hear any difference. My system is pretty revealing so I wonder if my unit is defective or Musician is pulling a fast one with the NOS/Upsampling option.

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #754 of 1,482
I don't believe that you fall into that category, I think that in this hobby you are more driven by engineering and less by your love for music.
My hoby is supported by engineering, true. Not a type of believing in FFT frequency plots, but a real education when young, knowing limitations of measuring equipment and years of experience. It is why I know that not fuses itself are being a problem (unless a fuse is incorrect - inductive type), but contacts between fuses and a socket. When you replace a fuse, contact is refreshed, oxidation scrapped, it makes a difference, but not for long. It is why Audio GD is soldering a fuse and place it in a spot of the highest temperature (useful to accelerate cut off time when transformer start failing).

If you still believe in fuses, you can experiment with the following. When you replace power cable with a quality one, move fuse to a male plug, permanently soldered inside (some old IBM equipment had such cables, I can post a photo), but then to comply with safety regulations a cable must be permanenfly attached to a DAC (not socketed). Such mod should benefit from less contact areas and improve SQ.
:)

Edit: Attached a pic. This is South African plug with original fuse, cable made in UK.

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_110332.jpg
    IMG_20211221_110332.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #755 of 1,482
My hoby is supported by engineering, true. Not a type of believing in FFT frequency plots, but a real education when young, knowing limitations of measuring equipment and years of experience. It is why I know that not fuses itself are being a problem (unless a fuse is incorrect - inductive type), but contacts between fuses and a socket. When you replace a fuse, contact is refreshed, oxidation scrapped, it makes a difference, but not for long. It is why Audio GD is soldering a fuse and place it in a spot of the highest temperature (useful to accelerate cut off time when transformer start failing).

If you still believe in fuses, you can experiment with the following. When you replace power cable with a quality one, move fuse to a male plug, permanently soldered inside (some old IBM equipment had such cables, I can post a photo), but then to comply with safety regulations a cable must be permanenfly attached to a DAC (not socketed). Such mod should benefit from less contact areas and improve SQ.
:)
Your contribution to this forum in various threads is beneficial to many

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #756 of 1,482
After approximately 175 hours of burn-in, I still can't discern any difference between NOS and Upsampling on my Pegasus. I even tried switching the button between the two with my eyes closed and simply couldn't hear any difference. My system is pretty revealing so I wonder if my unit is defective or Musician is pulling a fast one with the NOS/Upsampling option.
Don't worry. I can tell the difference between my 3 DACs, but can't tell the difference between NOS & OS on my Peggy. Well, sometimes I think I do, but not sure. However, I use Roon and use it's upsampling & EQ features, so maybe that plays a role in fudging the differences.

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #758 of 1,482
The difference is very slight with NOS/OS. Try focusing on the leading/trailing edges of notes. To me, the OS is more defined/abrupt and a hair brighter (I prefer the NOS setting).
That is exactly what my perception is, and why I am using it in NOS mode... but it doesn't jump out that much, to the point where I wonder if it's just me wanting to hear a difference? Thanks for sharing: helps me rationalize and perhaps think I'm not crazy... at least not that crazy :wink:

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #760 of 1,482
Don't worry. I can tell the difference between my 3 DACs, but can't tell the difference between NOS & OS on my Peggy. Well, sometimes I think I do, but not sure. However, I use Roon and use it's upsampling & EQ features, so maybe that plays a role in fudging the differences.
It's interesting most folks seem to prefer NOS. If there is a difference, it seems OS is very slightly brighter/articulate, and more forward.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #763 of 1,482
Hi guys,
I bought the Pegasus for my own Christmas present to my 2nd system.My system is Zen DAC blue(opt) or iPad Pro(USB)→Pegasus→Linn Majik→Anthony Gallo A'DIVA SE.The sound is excellence; the detail is warm but clear, the sound stage is holonic and wide.I like some female vocals and Sonny's tenor sax.It is enough for me.
I also change AC code with isolation transformer.It is very simple, easy going system.I enjoyed Jazz,POPs,classical music and 80's rock.The resource is from TIDAL,Apple music,Amazon prime music and my library of my Mac.The fuse will come to me within a week.This thread is very helpful and pushed me to buy the Pegasus.Thanks all!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back