Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Dec 24, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #406 of 964
Darcman....that makes sense. I guess the headphone out feature of the latest version does not feature in the upgrade package, which for me is not important anyway. I guess losing the second usb is a bit inconvenient, but an acceptable compromise. I'm not a big fan of Bluetooth and would actually rather not have it, but I guess it's the convenience factor! It is a pity that you lose the optical port because of it, I often use the optical connection as a secondary.

Dec 24, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #408 of 964
I got the Ak4497 and yes, the usb board upgrade also. I have a dap/DAC that already has the sabre 9038pro chips so wanted to stay with Ak for the Mpd2. I've been really happy with the Ak4490 so hope the 4497 will be a nice update. And of course the beauty is I can also get the sabre chip module later if I want! Why didn't someone do this sooner?!!!

Dec 25, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #409 of 964
You know as the thread starter you have to report back with your findings.
With your trifecta upgrade, DAC chip, USB board, and MK3 deluxe board, you are in for a real sonic treat. I really like my ES9038, but I cant help but wonder what the AK4497 sounds like. Many people prefer the 4497. Id like to try the 4497 and maybe some copper caps, but the trouble is I am so dam happy the way it sounds now.

Dec 25, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #410 of 964
Yes I feel guilty about being away for so long. Work got in the way and so I decided to retire early and so now have time for the stuff I like! Will certainly report back in early January when the kit arrives.

I know what you mean about sometimes leaving things along. On my rig back home in the UK I have an MP-D1 mk 2 with caps upgrade and WE392a tubes and it just sounds so great with my line magnetic 518ia, I don't want to change it or upgrade at all.

Dec 26, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #411 of 964
Hi,
I have the MP D2 MK1 AK4490.
A couple of days ago the USB board failed for the second time. I'm presently pondering the purchase of the new USB board and maybe the MK3 deluxe board with one of the new DAC chips. Might as well get the crystek upgrade too.
Has anyone here done a sound quality comparison of the AKM4497 vs the ES9038. Not necessarily personal preference but the sound characteristics ie detail, depth of sound stage, width, etc. I'm also intrigued by the AKM 4499 and might postpone buying the deluxe board until it's offered. I will miss the optical connection because it's an easy way to connect my rig with the TV.

Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #412 of 964
Well... I ordered the new USB board w/ Crystek clock. I couldn't resist and ordered the MK3 deluxe board too.:slight_smile: I decided to just get the AK4400 ( $30) and wait for some reviews of the AK4499 which, according to Gary, won't be available until mid 2020. I'll probably first try the new USB with my current MK1 to hear the difference in SQ and then install the deluxe MK3 board. I'm getting excited because this is the first major change I've made to my system in several years.

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #413 of 964
Rajacat
Good move on the deluxe board. I also have an older mp d2 mk2, but after consideration, I just went and bought the new mk3 DELUXE unit. Fired it up with Miflex caps, and NOS tubes from my older unit and it's quite a few steps up from the older series DACs. According to other parties the board upgrade on the older models brings you to the same audio nirvana. I'm so intrigued by it I'm getting the mod upgrades for my older unit too so I have something to tinker with.

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #414 of 964
The MK3 deluxe is indeed better than the MK1 by a wide margin. I recently upgraded and couldnt have been happier. Changed the caps to Jupiter copper. Getting lots of detail and a very robust tone. Lets see what happens after some burn in.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #416 of 964
I havent had a chance to compare the two. I would guess that the jupiters sound more organic than the Mundorfs with a smidge less high frequency compared to the mundorfs. The jupiters definitely score on bass and tonality. Again, only based on what I've read.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #419 of 964
I have the Mundorf silver oils that will be transferred to the new board. I'm curious about the Jupiter and the Miflex caps.
I hope there's more space to mount caps than on the old first gen board? I could barely fit the Mundorfs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back