Musical Paradise M2-D2 AK4490 Balanced Dac Reviews?
Dec 29, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #421 of 964
Well... I ordered the new USB board w/ Crystek clock. I couldn't resist and ordered the MK3 deluxe board too.:slight_smile: I decided to just get the AK4400 ( $30) and wait for some reviews of the AK4499 which, according to Gary, won't be available until mid 2020. I'll probably first try the new USB with my current MK1 to hear the difference in SQ and then install the deluxe MK3 board. I'm getting excited because this is the first major change I've made to my system in several years.

That's exactly what I did. When I ordered the Crystek USB board, I don't believe the MK3 deluxe available at the time. You will have to upgrade your firmware to support the Crystek USB board. I couldn't believe the difference that the USB upgrade made. I think I only had the Crystek in my MK2 for about a week when the MK3 deluxe became available. I heard a couple of raving rants about the MK3 deluxe so I ordered it up right away. The Crystek made a huge difference. I didn't try the MK3 deluxe without the Crystek, but I would venture to say the 2 upgrades are greater than the sum of the 2 parts.
You are in for a real treat that's for sure.

Rajacat
Good move on the deluxe board. I also have an older mp d2 mk2, but after consideration, I just went and bought the new mk3 DELUXE unit. Fired it up with Miflex caps, and NOS tubes from my older unit and it's quite a few steps up from the older series DACs. According to other parties the board upgrade on the older models brings you to the same audio nirvana. I'm so intrigued by it I'm getting the mod upgrades for my older unit too so I have something to tinker with.

If you upgrade a MK1 or MK2 with the Crystek USB Board and the MK3 deluxe motherboard essentially you turn it into a new MK3 deluxe DAC. I actually prefer the front facia on the MK2. But I could certainly live with either, there is no bad choice.

I think there might be a smidge more room between the binding posts for caps on the MK3 deluxe board. I didn't bother to measure as I was really in a rush to fire it up.

If anybody is wondering the value of the fuse on the MK3 deluxe board is a 500ma slow blow, just in case anyone wants to upgrade the fuse.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #422 of 964
If anyone is interested, I have a pair of the Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil in 2.2uF 600v for sale and a pair of Audio Note Coppers in 2.2uF. The Audio Notes are very large and will fit one pair only, so no balanced application with the lid on. They both sound awesome with the Audio Notes a little better in my eyes, but it depends on what sound you are looking for. Please send me a PM if interested.

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #424 of 964
My upgrade parts arrived today! Mk 3 deluxe main board, usb board and new MCU. Bummer is that I have a few rounded Allen key heads on the old board so I'm going to have to work out how to remove them! I hadn't done anything to the insides before so the screws must have had rounded heads during original assembly. A bit frustrating as I want to get cracking!

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #426 of 964
I use a Dremel rotary tool with a thin carborundum disk and cut a slot in the head to remove the stubborn ones. I find the screws easily strip if your Hex wrench isn't sharp or fresh. I routinely file down the end of my hex driver to keep it sharp and in good order, it's a disposable tool after a while.

Good things will come out of your frustration because you're going to love the results. :D

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #427 of 964
My upgrade parts arrived today! Mk 3 deluxe main board, usb board and new MCU. Bummer is that I have a few rounded Allen key heads on the old board so I'm going to have to work out how to remove them! I hadn't done anything to the insides before so the screws must have had rounded heads during original assembly. A bit frustrating as I want to get cracking!
How long did it take to get your order? Presently I'm dacless because the old USB board failed, so no music. I suppose I could setup my old TT 'till my full upgrade arrives.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #428 of 964
How long did it take to get your order? Presently I'm dacless because the old USB board failed, so no music. I suppose I could setup my old TT 'till my full upgrade arrives.

Only a few days, but I'm in China, so not so far to come!

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #429 of 964
I use a Dremel rotary tool with a thin carborundum disk and cut a slot in the head to remove the stubborn ones. I find the screws easily strip if your Hex wrench isn't sharp or fresh. I routinely file down the end of my hex driver to keep it sharp and in good order, it's a disposable tool after a while.

Good things will come out of your frustration because you're going to love the results. :D

Petersch..great minds think alike! That was my plan....just frustrating that as I'm China at my "holiday home" I don't have any tools so will need to buy everything!

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #430 of 964
Received my Mk III Deluxe unit today by DHL that was ordered on the 30th. Out of the box all looked good so I swapped the rectifier tube for a 1958 Blackburn Mullard (changing switch position) and put it in the rack in place of the Mk I. Turned it on with the intentions of letting it warm up for an hour while finishing up some other things. About a half hour later I started getting the whiff of a burnt smell on the other side of the house which I traced back to the dedicated Music Room and the Mk III Deluxe. Turned it off and removed it from the rack immediately noticing that parts of the tops of tubes 1 and 2 were damaged. Took the top off and replaced all four input tubes and fired it back up. No smell but no sound as while the rectifier tube was "fired" up there was no glow from the four input tubes. Apparently whatever caused the damage to the original tubes has done some other damaged. I have notified Gary that I need the unit to be replaced and I will send him back the DOA unit so we'll see how it goes from here.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #431 of 964
When I got my MK3 deluxe board DHL did a number on the RCA inputs, they were bent all to hell. I bent them back, I guess they work I use XLR so I never tried them. I didn't have any other issues and the MK3 deluxe sounds heavenly. Today I just put a quad of NOS 1963 SQ Philips E88CC...looks like I will be enjoying them for the full 10,000 hours.

Hey Jack that is a total bummer with your MK3 deluxe. Did you get the Crystek USB upgrade? If you didn't, you should...its awesome. Anyways the wait is worth it, the MP-D2 MK3 deluxe really is superb.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #432 of 964
When I got my MK3 deluxe board DHL did a number on the RCA inputs, they were bent all to hell. I bent them back, I guess they work I use XLR so I never tried them. I didn't have any other issues and the MK3 deluxe sounds heavenly. Today I just put a quad of NOS 1963 SQ Philips E88CC...looks like I will be enjoying them for the full 10,000 hours.

Hey Jack that is a total bummer with your MK3 deluxe. Did you get the Crystek USB upgrade? If you didn't, you should...its awesome. Anyways the wait is worth it, the MP-D2 MK3 deluxe really is superb.
Yes I got the Crystek USB board. I stuck with the standard tubes and capacitors as I happen to like supplied input tubes and I tried almost twenty different combos on the Mk I. Have a good and varied supply of NOS rectifiers. If I ever get the urge to change out the caps I will try the Milflex. Really hope Garry get's this resolved in a timely manner as I'm not interested in sending a brand new unit to Canada for a repair job. Just send me a new one and he can fix the problem on the one I have and resell it. We'll see how it goes.

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #433 of 964
Yesterday DHL delivered my full upgrade boards. I'm about half way through the installation. Has anybody noticed if there's a break-in period or is it instant ecstasy? I didn't upgrade the DAC chip yet and just went with the AK4490.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #434 of 964
Yesterday DHL delivered my full upgrade boards. I'm about half way through the installation. Has anybody noticed if there's a break-in period or is it instant ecstasy? I didn't upgrade the DAC chip yet and just went with the AK4400.

The AKM 4490 is a great sounding chipset, the AK4497 is more of the same flavor of sound. The ESS Chips are more dynamic but sound a bit brighter than the AKM chips. You'll be fine since they ALL sound great! As for break in, I find about 48 hours of constant break in time was more than sufficient but you will definitely notice the difference on the first note, guaranteed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back