Musical Fidelity xcan v8
Mar 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #391 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I actually comes from a city based on fishing, so it does not smell rotten, it smells like money.....

Ah yes... better the smell of money... than fish... espeically rotten fish.

I vaguely remember the smell of money... about 18 months ago... before our stupid liberals' (Dems) sub-prime mortgage fiasco, mark-to-market rules, and speculative securities trading rules (i.e. allowing investment speculators to trade commodities, to use excessive margin loans, allowing them to sell-short without borrowing the securities, and eliminating the up-tick rule)... turned the smell of money... to "something rotten in Washington."

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #392 of 421
FWIW, I also returned my V8 as it did not do justice in my opinion to my 650's. Once again, IMO, I find that my DV 336se (even with the stock tubes) is a much better match for my Senns than the V8 ever was. And it is about half the price. Now my Denon's rarely got plugged in, but they sounded "good", but then again my Denon's sound good plugged into just about anything.

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #394 of 421
My XCan V8P arrived last week. I have two issues with it:

1. I'm using My Shure SE530's when I plug these into the Xcan with the volume off there is quite a bit of tube noise.

2. The lack of an off switch is frustrating, plus the power supply gets quite hot
the touch.

I like the preamp feature and wanted to use this for a new stereo for my office
as well as headphone listening

Sound quality is decent, but the noise floor is quite high

David

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #396 of 421
Check out my thread in the headphones section to get a big comparison between headphones that were amped with the X-CanV8P.

Mine gets quite warm to, is that normal. Another thing is that I have jack issues on mine. Like if I move the plug side to side, the signal may cut to the right/left. This only happens with the K701 though.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #397 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out my thread in the headphones section to get a big comparison between headphones that were amped with the X-CanV8P.

Mine gets quite warm to, is that normal. Another thing is that I have jack issues on mine. Like if I move the plug side to side, the signal may cut to the right/left. This only happens with the K701 though.

Thanks =) nice review.. im probably gonna go with the x-can v8 since I'm gonna upgrade to AKG 701 later ^^

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #398 of 421
It's a great match, you'll like it a lot. The K701 will blow you away when you get it.

Jul 5, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #399 of 421
I actually got a chance to try the DAC on my V8P earlier today and it isn't as bad as people say, but I have heard far better. I don't see a problem with people using it, especially if you were able to change the DAC chip.

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #401 of 421
The only difference between a 7DJ8 and a 6DJ8 is the voltage - the 7DJ8 has a 7.6V heater voltage, versus 6.3V. Most of the time you can substitute the 7DJ8 with no problem, but it's best to check with the amp's maker, where possible. I asked Steve Deckert of Decware about using them in my CSP-2, and he said it would be fine, so I have a trio of them on order
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #402 of 421
Skylab, do you know if the 7DJ8's would help with driving higher impedance phones such as my DT880/600Ohm or HD600's?

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #403 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be a problem using 7DJ8/PCC88 tubes with the v8? Thinking of purchasing a pair of Tungsram for it to replace Sylvanias.

I use Telefunken PCC88 and they work just fine.

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #404 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, do you know if the 7DJ8's would help with driving higher impedance phones such as my DT880/600Ohm or HD600's?

No. It has the same amplification factor as the 6DJ8. And in since the output stage of the XCan is solid state, and the gain of the the 6DJ8 and 7DJ8 are the same, there should be no change.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #405 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audioi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just found this

Did I miss it? I looked through most of this thread to compare the V2 to the newer units. I have a stock V2 and wondering what I should do???????

Still working my way through this enormous thread!

Re comparisons, between the original X-CANS and the V8P the difference is that the V8P has more clarity and detail, a lot more separation between instruments and significantly more soundstage. I found the music from the X-CANS was all in my head, now it it all around me. I find that the V8P has a bit more dynamics and bass extension and a bit less sibilance on trebles.

Regards your V2, see if you can get a modding kit from Rock Grotto; Headphone amp Hobby Page, Head amp, Headphone amplifier, headphone amplifier kit, headphone amp UK, DIY headphone amplifier UK, X-Can V2, X-can V2 mods, B-tech 928, White noise audio headphone amplifier, Graham slee solo, X-psu, Chiarra andante, head and if you go for the works you will have an amp which is just about as good as the V8P IMHO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back