Musical Fidelity xcan v8
Feb 14, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #376 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idlewild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i bought this amp thinking it was going to be the end of all amps for the denon

i was very disapointed in the end result

theirs better stuff then the xcan for denon this amp is and severly under powerd for high impedence cans

I strongly disagree... that the v8 is not great with the Denons, or other low impedance phones - it is simply GREAT with them!

However... I do agree the v8 is NOT GREAT with high impedance phones - some might say TERRIBLE.

Though... there could well be "better stuff" with the Denons.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #377 of 421
@Clause - I might take some more pics the next time I open up the amp, if you are really interested to know open it up and share with us
smily_headphones1.gif
, you just need to unscrew the 4 screws on the front and the single screw that is between the RCA jacks in the back.

@GradoFan - yeah allot of them are glued down, you should be able to see which are not in the pics.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #379 of 421
We just went to a canjam in Denmark and my V8 was able to drive everything that we threw at it, this includes senn 650, beyer dt990 (600 ohm), beyer dt880, AKG701 and a lot of others, I was a bit surpriced over just how versatile this amp is and I love it more and more for each day that passes....

It stood it´s own againts some serious priced amps...So what I thougth was an expensive amp is actually a bargin :)

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #380 of 421
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We just went to a canjam in Denmark and my V8 was able to drive everything that we threw at it, this includes senn 650, beyer dt990 (600 ohm), beyer dt880, AKG701 and a lot of others, I was a bit surpriced over just how versatile this amp is and I love it more and more for each day that passes....

It stood it´s own againts some serious priced amps...So what I thougth was an expensive amp is actually a bargin :)

I think it is the most underrated amp on HeadFi.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #382 of 421
Quote:

RE: tuberolling
Has anyone experimented with this ??
And is it true that you schould leave the power off for 12 hours before shifting tubes ??

Yes. I am now using Telefunken PCC88 and very happy.
I roll tubes as soon as they have cooled down enough (couple of minutes).

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #384 of 421
Coool
I have just ordered two tubes and a little pinkie and I am just dying in the waiting game....

The reason why I was asking about tubes, was that I heard my DX1000 with another amp that had some Telefunken valves in it, and I was just blown away by the sound and then the thougth striked me, how much better would my xcan be with theese tubes ??

I found out via another forum that it is hard/next to impossible to change the DAC, but I got some upgrades for my Zero, which are awesome..

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #385 of 421
"Somethings rotten in Denmark..."

Someday... I'd like someone to explain the derivation of that phrase to me - maybe you guys know???

Was it the fish rotting that that Marcellus was referring to in Hamlet? (He said facetiously - i.e. the mains power, etc.)

Anyway... its really a mystery...

... that some folks think the v8 is great with all phones... period...

... while others think its great with Denons, but not Senns...

... while others thinks its terrible with Denons...

There must be some explanation for all of these diverse and strongly held views of this amp.

I have no idea...

... though, I tend to think there is some difference in the construction of the amps, various persons have tried... or... the difference is the result of the different voltage of the mains in the EU and US... or... who knows what.

But... I do know... the two I tried (and returned) in the US, about a year ago... were superb with Denons... and... bad to OK with Senns, and way underpowered with Senns. I had to dial the POT to ~1-3 O'clock for either... and... that's with the standard 2-3 v output from my sources.

Its a mystery...

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #386 of 421
Well as a danish I know a lot of things is rotten in Denma..
But in the Hamlet story I do beleive that it was the plots against hamlet and the atempt to steal the throne, that was rotten....

One thing that is not rotten is the V8... :wink:

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #387 of 421
Quote:

Well as a danish I know a lot of things is rotten in Denma..
But in the Hamlet story I do beleive that it was the plots against hamlet and the atempt to steal the throne, that was rotten....

One thing that is not rotten is the V8... :wink:

Yes... I know... and... I realize you are a Dane... which is what prompted me to use that reference.

I was being a bit "cute" because of your supportive comments about the v8.

I still don't understand the "mystery" behind the many divergent opinions regarding the v8 - I don't believe it has anything to do with the varying preferences of those who have commented.

I think it must be something more - which relates to the matching with various sources, or variations in the mains, or... maybe... even variations in the construction of the amps.

But... there... must be "something..."

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #388 of 421
Yeah I am not a danish but a dane, eventhough I really like Danish (the bread-thing, in Denmark it is called wiener, which is a region in Germany)...

I now that you have had more than your share of problems with the V8 and it makes me think, if your are the only american that have this amp. ?

To drive the senn 650 we had to turn the volumen to about 12-1, but it still had plenty of juice to give..

AFIK you got the "little pinkie" for yours ?? so it cannot really be the mains...hmmmm

Are your only sittings with the V8 at the same time they power up that BBQchair ??? that could explain things :wink:

I also know that you have been through 2 different v8s, which should rule out faulty amps..

Anyway you are more than welcome to visit me if you ever comes to Denmark, maybe my unit sounds bad too...

p.s I made a joke when I explained the Hamlet story.....I do not know anything about Hamlet, just saw the movie..

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #389 of 421
Quote:

Yeah I am not a danish but a dane, eventhough I really like Danish (the bread-thing, in Denmark it is called wiener, which is a region in Germany)...

I now that you have had more than your share of problems with the V8 and it makes me think, if your are the only american that have this amp. ?

To drive the senn 650 we had to turn the volumen to about 12-1, but it still had plenty of juice to give..

AFIK you got the "little pinkie" for yours ?? so it cannot really be the mains...hmmmm

Are your only sittings with the V8 at the same time they power up that BBQchair ??? that could explain things :wink:

I also know that you have been through 2 different v8s, which should rule out faulty amps..

Anyway you are more than welcome to visit me if you ever comes to Denmark, maybe my unit sounds bad too...

p.s I made a joke when I explained the Hamlet story.....I do not know anything about Hamlet, just saw the movie..

No... just the MF Walwart power supply. Perhaps the PSU would make a difference - though, it was a very subtle difference with my v3.

I just thought... that maybe there was some difference created by the 110-120v US mains vs the 240v EU mains - I have no idea.

Yeah... I don't think it was necessarily a defective amp(s) I had. Though, the second one seemed a little better (more powerful) than the first.

I would have kept the amp, if it would have driven my Senns as well as my Denons - which maxed out (were very loud) at about 12-1 O'clock on the POT.

As far as Hamlet... that is what I surmised from my knowledge of it, also... that he was referring to a conspiracy (something rotten) in Denmark. Never studied it, though. I had seen other references, perhaps in jest, referring to fish rotting in Denmark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back