Musical Fidelity V-DAC Mk. II & V-Link Mk. II
Mar 10, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #76 of 92
Some say "the mark around his nipples is exactly the same shape as the nurburgring"  
Meaning, I have never paid for an "upgraded" usb cable (but I'm sure some people will be shouting out to educate me) but the power supply definitely helped. Amazon search Pyramid PS3KX 3amp power supply.
In my opinion, I wouldn't upgrade the usb cable, Power supply and interconnects deserve priority if you are looking to upgrade the signal path to and from your Dac.

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #77 of 92
Thank you for the link, not to expensive so I will give it a try.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #78 of 92
A little question about my VDAC II. bought it today and it sounds great. there are 2 lights- a blue one and one that supposed to be green(from the instructions) mine is yellow. is it okay like that? thanks.

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #80 of 92
Just got my V-dac II.

Noted, that the PSU was a bit different than posted here.

I got a universal 100 - 240 v AC switching type of PSU with my V-Dac II.

Really like the sound so far - just having problems finding a good quality digital source.

Old CD players really cant give the V-Dac II the type of signal that makes it give its best.

Using a old DVD player from Pioneer, 585, but the bass quality is not up to what I get from a CD player, like Pioneers old PD-8500.

But the rest really shines thru  the  585.

And, the V-dac II really takes long time to warm up - more than 2 hours, sounding bright an a bit too forward from cold.

/SWIN

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #81 of 92
Seriously, get the Pyramid PSU - Things change very noticeably.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #83 of 92
My Pyramid is 2.5A, the wallwart that the unit ships with is 0.5A.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #84 of 92
Nearly gave up on the V-II, but then the Commander 6 A PSU arrived.

The sound, with original PSU is not really hi end, just a reasonably unobtrusive sounding DAC.
Bit mid-fi, not getting a "I am there" feeling of higher end DAC´s.
Light sounding, and not too engaging.

All that changed quite dramatically, with the add-on PSU.

To get a suitable power plug to fit the V-II, I mutilated an old Nokia cellphone charger - 3,5 mm, fitted precisely.

After warm up, I was greeted with a dramatic, bold sound, with a acute sense of all small details, but in its own context.
That is, not spread around loose small details, but a complete musical experience with a "I am there" feeling.

A fat, cozy sound, but with live, space, drama, and a hard hitting lower bass, at least with my equipment.

So, yes - I fully agree - the PSU delivered with the V-II just doesent work too good.
But, its easily upgradeable - in my case about 15:-, and some soldering.

Equipment used:

AKG K340 phones with Luxman LV-105 amplifier

JBL L7 Speakers driven with 2 x modified Peavey 50/50 as monoblocks - and a Pioneer A-777 amp to the woofers.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #85 of 92
Would anyone be able to comment on whether the VDACII would be a significant step up from the Fiio E17(dac only)

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #86 of 92

Quote:
Would anyone be able to comment on whether the VDACII would be a significant step up from the Fiio E17(dac only)

It is very much a step up (with the external PSU). Much more detailed, better separation and lows especially. Superb clarity in the highs, more so than the E17.

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #87 of 92
Just ordered a V-Link 192 from Canada. They seem much cheaper outside the US, are they the same?

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #88 of 92
Quote:
No, it is a very, very good dac. I think it performs similar to Audio-GD NFB2/3; balanced, pretty quiet. I think the Schiit Bifrost has sucked the air out of the room for the past few months so other new dacs are being ignored. That said I also bought a Dacport LX and it is outstanding (but usb-only).

PM sent - requesting your opinion of the V-DAC MK-ii vs. DACport LX (for USB use, only).

Thanks!

Mike

May 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #89 of 92
I would avoid the Musical Fidelity V-PSUii -- it's very noisy -- not just 60 and 120 Hz, but it radiates into the a.m. broadcast and into the 10M ham band.  I wrote it up here:
http://www.tech-diy.com/RegPowerSupplies/MusFidelity/MusicalFidelity_VPSUii.htm

May 12, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #90 of 92
Quote:
I would avoid the Musical Fidelity V-PSUii -- it's very noisy -- not just 60 and 120 Hz, but it radiates into the a.m. broadcast and into the 10M ham band.  I wrote it up here:
http://www.tech-diy.com/RegPowerSupplies/MusFidelity/MusicalFidelity_VPSUii.htm

Hah! kinda puts things back into perspective about their "zero jitter" S/PDIF transport(that didn't provide any isolation over coax and was quickly replaced by the Vlink2): http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/musical-fidelity-v-link-asynchronous-usb-to-coaxial-converter.html

especially when you see what's on the PCB: http://www.stereophile.com/images/411vlink.2.jpg

Gotta love those companies that always brag about having reinvented the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back