Musical Fidelity M1HPA or Burson HA-160? Anyone with experience from both?
Mar 31, 2011 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheOtus

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm buying a new amplifier withing couple of weeks. I'm planning to go with the M1HPA, would suit my desk with the M1DAC I own and from what I've read, it's a clear upgrade from X-Can V8P also. But I see Burson having quite a bit of users, someone even driving HD800 with it, so it must have potential. Price isn't bad either. I have no chance to hear Burson, while I'm going to test the M1 before buying because I have the chance to do that. Well, anyone?

EDIT: By the specs, M1HPA is clearly better at some points, compared to HA-160. Are these points audible, or tested even nearly similarly, is a different issue...

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 17
Rudistor NX-03 seems to be one another option. Perhaps Lehmann Black Cube Linear also... I have the possibility to try Lehmann too.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 17
Thanks a bunch for the reply. Anyone else? It's a hard choise because I can't test the Burson... Also read some negative things of it too, mainly on the volume control which is a rather important thing. ATH-W1000X picks up volume pretty easily, so... I noticed quite a difference between channels with my old amp when listening on a lower volume.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the reply. Anyone else? It's a hard choise because I can't test the Burson... Also read some negative things of it too, mainly on the volume control which is a rather important thing. ATH-W1000X picks up volume pretty easily, so... I noticed quite a difference between channels with my old amp when listening on a lower volume.

There's a member who uses the W1000X with the burson, here's the link to it. 

From what i read, the volume control thing is not a big deal. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for the link, interesting write-up, sounds pretty positive. Not making this easier though. =D Seems like I need to go and try the M1HPA as I planned, if I love it, I'll probably get it. If not, I'll get the Burson.

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Thanks for the link, interesting write-up, sounds pretty positive. Not making this easier though. =D Seems like I need to go and try the M1HPA as I planned, if I love it, I'll probably get it. If not, I'll get the Burson.

Let your ears decide on this, good luck!! 
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 17
Update! I´ll go and give the M1HPA a listen next friday, a hi-fi-store somewhat near me gladly ordered one... Can't wait! =D

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Update! I´ll go and give the M1HPA a listen next friday, a hi-fi-store somewhat near me gladly ordered one... Can't wait! =D

Cool, let us know what you think either way.

From my rather limited time with the M1HPA, I thought it was quite good. This actually surprised me given my rather lackluster impression of the matching M1 DAC. Maybe my low expectations played a role, but I'd say it is at least "pretty good" and should prove to be an enjoyable listen. People seem to have skipped the M series components around here (at least compared to the older X series a few years back) so more impressions would be appreciated.

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #10 of 17
So, I listened to it in the store... And couldn't leave it there! =D Listening at the moment, not writing anything yet, though I obviously love this so far.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
So, I listened to it in the store... And couldn't leave it there! =D Listening at the moment, not writing anything yet, though I obviously love this so far.

Cool...it only remains to listen to the Burson, which design is way different to the m1hpa. (sonic quality also) 
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Cool...it only remains to listen to the Burson, which design is way different to the m1hpa. (sonic quality also) 
wink.gif

Heheh, might be that I'm not gonna hear the Burson without ordering one myself. Which isn't happening I suppose. =D Might be a good amp too, but I'm enjoying my M1 for sure! Also looking very handsome with my M1DAC. ;D

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 17
Picture time! To me, they look pretty good, nothing overly flashy, as it should be. = ) The finish in every spot is really nice, and as someone mentioned in another topic, the volume knob has an awesome feel to it, Alps quality. :D

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Heheh, might be that I'm not gonna hear the Burson without ordering one myself. Which isn't happening I suppose. 

Not necessary...there are head-fi'er meets. 
tongue.gif

Good luck with your setup. 

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Not necessary...there are head-fi'er meets. 
tongue.gif

Good luck with your setup. 

Well, not in Finland I'm afraid...

And no luck needed! ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back