Music that specific headphones do particularly well?
Jul 8, 2006 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ikrit42

100+ Head-Fier
I was just, no, still am listening to a bunch of Cake on my MS-1s (FLAC out of an AV-710, then an amp) and noticing that out of all the music that I've listened to on them, the MS-1s are absolutely perfect for Cake. Or the other way around.
Has anyone else had a similar experience, where one artist from your collection does something special with a particular headphone? I mean above the rest of your music, and an artist, not a genre.
Just wondering.

Jul 8, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 13
Norah Jones and similarly toned/paced stuff works really well with my HD 600's.

What you mention is why I think I need more headphones. Will be following this thread with interest.

Jul 8, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 13
I am Cake fan too. I like my Cake with the W5000. I have just taken delivery of a Omega2/SRM717 rig, Comfort Eagle was first up, I think I might have a new winner here, time will be the final arbiter of that though.

Jul 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 13
just to provide you an example based on artists as you stated in your first post : my dt990pro make Exodus's Bonded by blood sound like the last random radio hit by Avril lavigne, while the Ms1 really shine in comparison, the opposite happens with artists like Rush, Yes..

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 13
How can you limit this to just artist? A musician's style can change from album to album and even song to song. I think genre-headphone combination caparisons would be much more pertinent.

For the sake of the thread, however, Infected Mushroom's Vicious Delicious sounds pretty darn spectacular on properly configured ortho's. I find computer/synthesizer generated tones can be reproduced with extreme fidelity, especially on a detailed system. The only way I can explain it is you not only hear the silhouette and/or location of a sound, but the texture too. It's almost as if your brain could feel the bumps and ridges of a sine wave or could hear not only a sound's existence, but its creation, character, transformation/decay and death.

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 13
HD595 sound good with most Genres...due to their more brighter tones..(lack of flatness actually) they can handle Electronic as well.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 13
Oscar Peterson and the Beyerdynamic DT48. And some tubes.

Nothing's better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikrit42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just, no, still am listening to a bunch of Cake on my MS-1s (FLAC out of an AV-710, then an amp) and noticing that out of all the music that I've listened to on them, the MS-1s are absolutely perfect for Cake. Or the other way around.
Has anyone else had a similar experience, where one artist from your collection does something special with a particular headphone? I mean above the rest of your music, and an artist, not a genre.
Just wondering.

My MS-1's and "City Sleeps" sounds great
smily_headphones1.gif
I lay back and it takes me away all the time.

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 13
My HD580s sound incredible with female vocals (Tori Amos, Regina Spektor etc). The 580s may not have the clarity and detail of my speaker setup but the sheer intimacy they provide with female vocals is just beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back