Music on Computer... How much you have?
Apr 24, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #46 of 68
5,500 Albums (counting multi-disc albums as 1)
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #48 of 68
I have approximately 3500 songs, all from CDs I've bought. Except for a few albums which are FLAC, the whole collection is ripped at LAME 3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new settings. A modest collection compared to some, I suppose, but I like every album I have.

I prefer to count the "how much music" by actual songs I own rather than by total disc space used. It gets confusing since people use so many different-sized codecs. It's about the music for me, not the file size--although you people using, like, 1TB of disc space are mighty impressive I must of course admit that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #51 of 68
I'm a lightweight.

I have about 100 CDs all bought in the last couple of years.
Ripped to WAV with EAC they take up about 50 GB. (1200 songs)

Apr 25, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #52 of 68
currently I'm at ~120gb of MP3 at 192-320kbps. I'm planning on eventually reripping everything into OGG or FLAC so it should take up more room then. I store my music on a Maxtor 300gb HDD. I'm almost out of room on it though; it's being shared with video and other misc data.

Apr 25, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #53 of 68
I feel so inadequate ....
I have about 1500 songs, all in mp3 VBR. Barely 10GB.
I'm thinking about converting it all to lossless, but don't have the time or the storage space right now.

Apr 25, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #55 of 68
its kinda interesting to hear all these numbers - i got into mp3s about 8 years ago so i could have access to all my cds when i travelled overseas. and that was BEFORE i got obsessive about music and joined head-fi
wink.gif

converted to EAC/Lame APX mp3s about 2 years ago and the majority of my songs are in that format. with downloads, my stash weighs in around 256 GB, which itunes says is about 44,500 tracks.

i think i'm going to wait a little while before i re-rip everything to lossless though - tech is not quite where i want it to be for everyday usage
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeygod
its kinda interesting to hear all these numbers - i got into mp3s about 8 years ago so i could have access to all my cds when i travelled overseas. and that was BEFORE i got obsessive about music and joined head-fi
wink.gif

converted to EAC/Lame APX mp3s about 2 years ago and the majority of my songs are in that format. with downloads, my stash weighs in around 256 GB, which itunes says is about 44,500 tracks.

i think i'm going to wait a little while before i re-rip everything to lossless though - tech is not quite where i want it to be for everyday usage
wink.gif

Don't get the tech is not everywhere I want it to be, but you'll need 2 of those new 750 gigabyte drives merged together or in some sort of raid to get all the data on one partition
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Be interesting to hear how people back up their stuff aswell. I use a couple external USB disks. So the library is duplicated on three disks. As is my other data.

I have my music folder copied onto a Firewire/USB external drive. Also everything is burned on DVDs. Everytime I build up 4GBs of new music it gets burnt.
Its all on the CDs too.

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
I have my music folder copied onto a Firewire/USB external drive. Also everything is burned on DVDs. Everytime I build up 4GBs of new music it gets burnt.

Good move!
I definately believe in multiple backups, we invest too much time and money into these libraries to take chances.
You need only suffer one significant loss to learn this lesson.
As a result, all my drives are triplets, each drive having two back-ups, which I alternate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back