Music on Computer... How much you have?
Apr 25, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #61 of 68
You'd feel sick even if you lost 30GBs of music. I don't have anything else on my computer I couldn't stand to lose.

Actually its well worth backing-up installation files you download. I have over 500MBs of those type files. If ever I have a crash or need to recover I can load everything back on in a few hours.

Apr 25, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeygod
its kinda interesting to hear all these numbers - i got into mp3s about 8 years ago so i could have access to all my cds when i travelled overseas. and that was BEFORE i got obsessive about music and joined head-fi

converted to EAC/Lame APX mp3s about 2 years ago and the majority of my songs are in that format. with downloads, my stash weighs in around 256 GB, which itunes says is about 44,500 tracks.

i think i'm going to wait a little while before i re-rip everything to lossless though - tech is not quite where i want it to be for everyday usage

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Don't get the tech is not everywhere I want it to be, but you'll need 2 of those new 750 gigabyte drives merged together or in some sort of raid to get all the data on one partition
biggrin.gif

well encoding to lossless still entails more work for me - i haven't found a good all-in-one (ripping,encoding,tagging) program or a good way to setup automation to achieve the same effect. portable support for lossless is also kind of spotty - i could rip everything ALAC to use on my Ipod, but frankly while Itunes has its strengths, encoding and transcoding are not among them. Maybe when Rockbox has matured a little more (and I can afford more HDD space), I'll start monkeying with FLAC (pun intended)
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeygod
well encoding to lossless still entails more work for me - i haven't found a good all-in-one (ripping,encoding,tagging) program or a good way to setup automation to achieve the same effect. portable support for lossless is also kind of spotty - i could rip everything ALAC to use on my Ipod, but frankly while Itunes has its strengths, encoding and transcoding are not among them. Maybe when Rockbox has matured a little more (and I can afford more HDD space), I'll start monkeying with FLAC (pun intended)
wink.gif

Yeah, I'm waiting for rockbox or iPodlinux to mature.

I'de say the simplest process (although most certainly not the best way) is to use foobar 0.9's build in flac ripper. It rips directly to flac, no formats inbetween like when you use EAC and rip to wav and then encode in FLAC.

PS:, I'm not concerned much about what format, wavpack and flac are my favourites, but when you really think about it, you just need to press a few buttons to decode them all back to wav and start from scratch.

Apr 25, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #64 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
You'd feel sick even if you lost 30GBs of music. I don't have anything else on my computer I couldn't stand to lose.

Actually its well worth backing-up installation files you download. I have over 500MBs of those type files. If ever I have a crash or need to recover I can load everything back on in a few hours.

It's amazing how few people actually use imaging software. USE ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE AFTER YOU FORMAT AND HAVE ALL YOUR APPS INSTALLED.. This will save you hours if you ever get a trojan and want to start from scratch.

Apr 25, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

It's amazing how few people actually use imaging software. USE ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE AFTER YOU FORMAT AND HAVE ALL YOUR APPS INSTALLED.. This will save you hours if you ever get a trojan and want to start from scratch.

I do that too . . . . . even thought of mentioning it here but did not want to go too off topic. Works GREAT!

Apr 25, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

Well, I'm on a Mac, and I wouldn't bother with anything else than complete clones for my backups. Should the internal drive ever croak I will just boot via FireWire and clone back. Incremental backups are faster but tend to be less reliable.
I guess if I was on Windows on my private machine I'd have an automated imaging software running each and every night.
eek.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #67 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Well, I'm on a Mac, and I wouldn't bother with anything else than complete clones for my backups. Should the internal drive ever croak I will just boot via FireWire and clone back. Incremental backups are faster but tend to be less reliable.
I guess if I was on Windows on my private machine I'd have an automated imaging software running each and every night.
eek.gif

Yeah, well, I still say that images are the only way to go after using acronist rue image. It just makes me wonder why people backup all their apps now when they have the option of making an image (small enough usually to burn to a dvd if you keep your os partition on it's own partition.)

Apr 25, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #68 of 68
When I partitioned my drive I noticed it has a 4.8GB partition already. Before I bought my PC, it said it had some 'SoftThinks Installation/Recovery software' on it, is this some sort of imaging software?

If I press 'Enter' at start-up it says it'll go into recovery.

Sorry for going a bit OT.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back