Music City Meet, Volume 5 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2016 (April 9, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #76 of 348
Your wallet just let out a sigh of relief : )

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #77 of 348
  I've been running these dual Questyle 800r's for the past 3 months in balanced mono configuration. I have not found anything else that makes me as happy as this amp pair. The cool thing is that this setup seems to be headphone agnostic. There is something about current mode amplification that seems to flesh out the best in different types of driver technology. I was worried that the dual amps would be "loud." But instead, there just seems to be better control, better imaging and staging.

I've run several really good amps through here in the past few months and nothing can knock off the Questyles. Can't wait for you all to hear what this setup does for the ETHERS. 

I have managed to miss listening to the Questyles at the last two meets somehow, and every time I've kicked myself. I really want to check them out, and it sounds like I'll have to slot some time for yours this time around. Just out of curiosity, have you heard any of the Bakoon current mode amps? I wonder if they're on a similar level....

I'm in. I am super excited about the meet. Can't wait to hear and see all the great gear. It seems to be shaping up to be a great meet.

Gear that I will be bringing....

Headphones:
Beyer T1
Audeze EL-8 Closed (new production model)
Beyer T51i
Denon D7000
Grado RS1i

Amp: Marantz HD-DAC1

Hey bro! Yeah, I think our meet will be a lot of fun as always, but considering the Purk is bringing some of his toys to the Canlanta meet (along with every vendor on the planet), I'd say anything you don't see in Nashville you'll see in Atlanta almost certainly. Also, it seems odd not to see a GS1k or PS1k in your list... My Grado-lovin' heart breaks a little at the sight. :p

Yea, I fully agree.  I decided to upgrade the power cables when I got a quorum from a few Head-Fi advisors.  I expected some improvement, but when I got the rig up and running, I was quite impressed with the new SQ.  With the HD800, the soundstage of some music is now too wide (according to Annette) that may detract from the listening pleasure.  I don't hear that, personally, but this is why we have meets.  The SQ of the LCD-X has certainly been improved, IMO.

That's why I now think that the Kimber - GMB - BHA-1 rig will challenge the Yggy - Rag stack.

So y'all can hear it for yourselves, and check out the cables, at the meet.  Joe Saxon will be there to answer technical and sourcing questions.

Cheers,
Dick

Very cool! Looking forward to it for sure. Joe had some USB cables at the last meet he said he could swap out to demonstrate that USB cables do make a difference, and I never got around to getting over there and checking it out, unfortunately. Hopefully he'll be able to make it to the meet, and maybe I can get over there and check it out for myself. I don't understand the technical aspects of cables at all (hey, I was a literature major), but I think hearing or not hearing a difference would be a start to moving away from (USB) cable agnosticism and into something more solid. Anyhow, I'm sure it will be a great setup-- I still toy with the idea of picking up a BHA-1 at some point, even though I have no use for it, just because I liked it so much at a previous meet. Fantastic amp IMO. 

Bad news looks like Dan is not coming after all. He is going to Canlanta and a thing in Chigaco . Peter said he would come but He said it was up to Dan and he wasn't saying anything so prolly not. Sorry to get ones hopes up but he did only say he would try.

And that... is the sound of audiophile hearts breaking. Dan strikes me as being an 'underpromise and overdeliver' type of person, so I'll keep my hopes up that he can make it. He has always been great to us, so we'll be appreciative either way, of course. Fingers crossed, in any event. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #78 of 348

I have managed to miss listening to the Questyles at the last two meets somehow, and every time I've kicked myself. I really want to check them out, and it sounds like I'll have to slot some time for yours this time around. Just out of curiosity, have you heard any of the Bakoon current mode amps? I wonder if they're on a similar level....

Although the technology is the same, the implementation is very different. The Bakoon responds to the impedance of the headphone and makes changes to it's output. I tried the Bakoon with hd800 and it just didn't work for me. ymmv

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #79 of 348
Sweet, be good to have you back again, man! Still loving those HD700s? Anything change in your setup? 

I still loved the hd700's but did sell them to by Kevin's (wildcatsare1) jerg modded he-560

He-560 jerg (waiting on norne zoetic)
Cary HH-1 Hybrid Tube amp (black sand violet mkii PC) Tesla e88cc gold pin 
Schiit Asgard 2 w/ kimber kable 1021
Morrow Audio  ma-4 silver eichmann IC
Schiit Bifrost Uber ( black sand violet mki PC) also I figured I'd wait on upgrading so people can remember the uber vs 4490 and mb
Monolithic computer 

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #81 of 348
Would it be possible to print up a new batch of shirts for the meet?
I've really enjoyed mine from last year's spring meet
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #82 of 348
Let me just say the Cavalli Liquid Spark is all that. I will be pre ordering one come May when they come on pre order. It is a Liquid Carbon in small form factor just as good but a little different. Some say it is better but it is just different. I didn't have enough time to give impressions as there were too much to listen to at CanJam. I love my QP1R but add a Liquid Spark and OMG is it so much better to me. I'm bad at sound memory and giving precise impressions( as I am a new to all of this) but it needs to be listened to. Everyone who is into this hobby should make the effort to go to a CanJam. It was just an awesome experience . I can't wait to see all in April.  

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #83 of 348
Spark seems to be getting a lot of attention. I'll be following it closely. I'm also interested in the second run of the LC. There are supposed to be some changes that could take this great little amp to the next level. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #84 of 348

Hey bro! Yeah, I think our meet will be a lot of fun as always, but considering the Purk is bringing some of his toys to the Canlanta meet (along with every vendor on the planet), I'd say anything you don't see in Nashville you'll see in Atlanta almost certainly. Also, it seems odd not to see a GS1k or PS1k in your list... My Grado-lovin' heart breaks a little at the sight. :p

I don't want to break your Grado-lovin' heart
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
....I forgot to list my GS1000i. It will be coming along as well.

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #85 of 348
  I'm in. 

Seriously?  Last year didn't work for me.  However, I'm in good shape for this year and April 9th looks like a good possibility for me.  I also see JoeDoe is going to be there - just proves we can't leave this hobby.  We're addicted.

I'm building back up my headphone systems.  I won't list off items just yet.  I'll have to get through a few more days and ensure I can 100% commit to this event.  Wow.  Good stuff !!

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #87 of 348

Seriously?  Last year didn't work for me.  However, I'm in good shape for this year and April 9th looks like a good possibility for me.  I also see JoeDoe is going to be there - just proves we can't leave this hobby.  We're addicted.

I'm building back up my headphone systems.  I won't list off items just yet.  I'll have to get through a few more days and ensure I can 100% commit to this event.  Wow.  Good stuff !!

Whoa!!! Who is this stranger claiming to be the one and only WJE? Not possible. This guy road off into the sunset on a Harley I think. 
tongue.gif
  Would be awesome to have you join us and finally meet you in person Wayne. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #88 of 348
The legendary wje?! In the flesh?! What a prospect! Good to hear from you my friend.

Whoa!!! Who is this stranger claiming to be the one and only WJE? Not possible. This guy road off into the sunset on a Harley I think. 
tongue.gif
  Would be awesome to have you join us and finally meet you in person Wayne. 

I just submitted my vacation request for Friday April 8th.  Looks like nothing is in the way.  Put me down as 100% attending.  

Equipment:

- Musical Fidelity V-Can (ver. 1) amp
- Peachtree Audio Decco 65 integrated amp with ESS Sabre chipset DAC

- Hifiman HE-400, the "S" model
- Audeze LCD-2
- Hifiman HE-500
- Symphones V6 Drivers in Grado wooden cups - Possibly.  My order for all the parts has been placed on 3/22/2016.

Maybe some more, if the right thing comes up for purchase. :)   Will be great to see y'all.  Still have the Harley.  Rode 4,700 miles last summer, so headphones sort of took the backseat (no pun intended). :wink:

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #89 of 348
Nice the thread starter of one of my favorite threads DIY cable and comments threads is coming to Nashville nice. Will have some new cables for the meet also. Also I won a pair of Echobox Finder X1's iem's at CanJam so I will have those also very nice Titanium earphones and some lowfi stuff that is just fun for the money.

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #90 of 348
  Nice the thread starter of one of my favorite threads DIY cable and comments threads is coming to Nashville nice. Will have some new cables for the meet also. Also I won a pair of Echobox Finder X1's iem's at CanJam so I will have those also very nice Titanium earphones and some lowfi stuff that is just fun for the money.

Sweet! To both. I'm planning on doing some surgery to one of my cables and making some new stuff this weekend. But I also wanna go shooting and also need to swap out my PSU on my file server. Priorities huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back