Music City Meet, Volume 5 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2016 (April 9, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #61 of 348
BOOM! Venue locked in-- I'll post details tomorrow, but suffice to say it's significantly larger than anything else we've tried, and also quite different. Interested to see how it goes!

Totally pooped, and heading to bed at the moment-- I'll reply to everybody tomorrow! 

Btw, finally found a particularly good EQ setting for my DP-X1 and ASG-2 portable rig, and man... I am really, really enjoying it at the moment. Can't wait to get the UERM reshelled and give it a go!!

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #62 of 348
  BOOM! Venue locked in-- I'll post details tomorrow, but suffice to say it's significantly larger than anything else we've tried, and also quite different. Interested to see how it goes!

Totally pooped, and heading to bed at the moment-- I'll reply to everybody tomorrow! 

Btw, finally found a particularly good EQ setting for my DP-X1 and ASG-2 portable rig, and man... I am really, really enjoying it at the moment. Can't wait to get the UERM reshelled and give it a go!!

Very cool sir. But you're still young. Can't you stay up past 9:00 and give us this vital information? 
blink.gif
tongue.gif

On the subject of EQ, I'd admit to taking somewhat of a purist attitude about EQ since getting into this hobby. I'm revising my stance now and would be interested in working with a good EQ (parametric) plugin for jriver if anyone has some experience with such. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #63 of 348

Excellent!  Way to go, Burnley!!

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #66 of 348
Dan Clark said he is planning on being at the Nashville meet. You guys are going to love the Etherestats.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #68 of 348
After hearing the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten my jaw is what hurts after it the floor my ether-C's might not ever sound that good again. The toe is fine though. ; )

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #69 of 348
Dan Clark said he is planning on being at the Nashville meet. You guys are going to love the Etherestats.

Great to hear that Dan is going to make it again. I have a lot of respect for the effort and cost that it takes for guys like Dan to make it to these events. I'm super stoked to get a listen to the Etherstat. This could very well be my next headphone. (I won't even say end game)

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #70 of 348
  I will be listening to those this weekend. Going to CanJam. I will be taking notes and lots of pics.

Very interested in hearing your thoughts. Looks like a very trick bit of kit for sure! 

@Theogenes did you get rid of the Ether-C's? You blamed me for you buying them.

Get rid of 'em?? You kidding me?? :p

Nah, listening to them right now, actually. Contemplating another big gear selloff, but I don't think the Ethers could leave my collection anytime soon. I listen to them more than any of my other full-sized headphones (listening to Coltrane's Blue Train on them right now for the first time, digging it so far), and they are just so comfortable and tick so many boxes for me I can't imagine letting them go. And for the record, yeah-- I still blame you for this. :p

As far as build quality goes, they were built very well. No seams, surface blemishes, or any other kind of issues whatsoever. Mine didn't fit perfectly on the first, second, or third try and rather than telling me that I was SOL, the good people at InEarz were very patient in adjusting things so they'd fit just right!

And as far as the sound goes, they nailed the TF10. Didn't feel like anything was different from the universal version.

Perfect. Think I'm gonna go that route. Gotta make sure I have a few other situations properly squared away first, but you've sufficiently convinced me that these are the guys to work with. Appreciate the feedback man!

Any word on if Dan is going to make it?

After his announcement today, dear and fluffy lord I hope so!

My wallet? Not so much!

I haven't even had a chance to look at the announcement yet, and I'm going to try to hold out on looking at it as long as I can... Dan making stellar gear that pretty much nails what I want in a headphone ≠ attempting to be more fiscally responsible with my audio purchases. And although I haven't spoken with Dan about it directly (that guy is busy enough for four lives), it sounds like he's confirmed he'll be coming elsewhere, so I'm sure our wallets are all doomed yet again.

Brace Yourselves -- Mr Speakers Is Coming. 

I'm in, cant wait.

Sweet, be good to have you back again, man! Still loving those HD700s? Anything change in your setup? 

Well RS1i is out. Chord mojo and 15.32 are in.

Now if I could just move this MAD Ear+...

Changes duly noted and updated, sir. Very curious to hear if the Mojo lives up to the rather stratospheric hype it's receiving at the moment. I spoke w/ Matt about it a little after the last meet, and he had some pretty impressively positive things to say about it, so I feel pretty confident that it's all kinds of awesome. I'm just concerned that I'll want one to pair with my Onkyo, and I don't wanna have another rubber-banded brick to carry around... #headfinerdproblems.

I might be there. Our other baby is due any day. Something tells me I'm going to be very busy with two very soon.

I may send my Fiio X3 II, VSONIC GR07 Classics, and HD650s (or at least the X3 and GR07) via @skyline315

Only thing I would bring otherwise would be my desk setup at work with:

Schiit Wyrd
Schiit Modi
O2
HD650
T20RP mk1 (modded)

The Fiio is actually quite excellent and quite amazing little box for what it can do given the price.

If my conversations with Eric have convinced me of anything, it's that being a dad is simultaneously the most awesome and exhausting thing on the planet. Do you know if it's going to be a boy or a girl yet? Any names picked out? :)

And thanks for the gear list, I've got you updated in case you're able to make it. Really hope you can, of course, but totally cool if you end up needing to hang out with the fam. We should have a supervised play center for kids the way some gyms do... That would be pretty BA. :p

OK guys, after adding the Kimber power cables to my rig, I am putting it up against the Yggy/Rag rig that Dan had at a previous meet.  Now I know why he uses upscale power cables.  The addition of those cables changed the sound of my rig for the better.  I look forward to showing off the SQ.  Like the last meet, I will have both my HD800 and LCD-X available, or feel free to plug in your own HP's and enjoy!!

All the Best -
Dick

For sure - the build quality of these power cables is superb - they are like pythons.  The plugs are like military stuff.  The cables are so stout they look funny up against my equipment.  I bought them thru Joe Saxon, who will be at the NV meet.

I was not ready for such a change in the SQ.  So far, I've listened closely only with the HD800.  The SQ is quite different / better.  In particular:  the bass is deeper and the mids are more expanded. The change in the mids makes the music sound different.  I can hear more of the rhythm guitars / backup singers / everything that is midrange.  The percussion is more clear and defined.  These changes means the soundstage is expanded so the songs sound different.  If the piano or voice was the most prevalent before, now maybe not so much; the support musicians are clearer.  I invite you to hear it, with your own music and HP's.

A good example:  last night I played for Annette her favorite song that she's heard 100 times:  Allen Toussaint's Close Up.  A piano-led song by Allen.  Well, Annette immediately said the music sounded better.  The piano was less dominant and she could hear the rhythm guitar and bass more clearly.  If that's not an objective opinion, I don't know what is :).

Looking forward to the Meet,
Go Preds!
Dick

You know, I've been unsure what to think about cables for quite some time-- I do believe I hear a difference with some cables, but it's very minute, and I'm not sure I could distinguish it in a DBT. But when I frequented the British ATC forum for a while, the one thing that several of the guys there mentioned as having made the biggest difference with their active monitors were the power cables. (One guy even went so far as to have a power line run into his listening room with American voltages and plugs so he could use high-quality aftermarket power cables, which apparently aren't much made in European variants). At some point, I'd like to be able to check that out for myself as well. Not much point in it before I can sell my old house and get a new one, but that's something I'd like to evaluate too. Thanks for the feedback on 'em!

Nothing really changed in my system, so the same as last time.

Kilkil

Headphones
Audio Technica W5000 with Brainwavz pads
AKG K550
AKG K501
AKG K7XX
AKG K701 (*)

Amplifiers
Dynahi (DIY designed by Kevin Gilmore)
Millett Hybrid, oversized PS (DIY designed by Pete Millett) (*)

Sources
NAD M51

Duly updated. And if your setup ain't broke, don't fix it, right? 

Really need to listen to your Dynahi this time around...

Very cool sir. But you're still young. Can't you stay up past 9:00 and give us this vital information? 
blink.gif
tongue.gif

On the subject of EQ, I'd admit to taking somewhat of a purist attitude about EQ since getting into this hobby. I'm revising my stance now and would be interested in working with a good EQ (parametric) plugin for jriver if anyone has some experience with such. 

I'm fond of reminding people that I'm the world's youngest octogenarian. I go to bed absurdly early whenever I can, and if I can't, it's usually because I'm out carousing with friends (like this weekend... sooooo tired.) 

I played around with EQ in JRMC a while back, and basically found it did something to the sound I couldn't quite pin down, but that I didn't like. It made everything more fatiguing somehow (and not just in the specific changes I made- it did it with bass-only changes too). One thing I've been thinking about is the need to have a universal standard for EQ files that you could make on one setup and copy to another. As I've been going back and forth between the ASG-2 and ER4 (with two dramatically different sound signatures), the EQ changes I would make on one are vastly different than those on the other, and I'd love to be able to save my EQ for each one and toggle between them as need be. Don't see an immediate answer for this, although something like the Mind Magic Audio app that CP was working on might be a start.

My heart soars, and my wallet collapses sobbingly into the corner. Did you get to hear them??

After hearing the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten my jaw is what hurts after it the floor my ether-C's might not ever sound that good again. The toe is fine though. ; )

That good, eh? It's wild, I'm really looking forward to hearing the various Cavalli amps (especially the LAu), as I really liked the LC on a quick evaluation. Wish he'd do more solid state stuff... 

Great to hear that Dan is going to make it again. I have a lot of respect for the effort and cost that it takes for guys like Dan to make it to these events. I'm super stoked to get a listen to the Etherstat. This could very well be my next headphone. (I won't even say end game)

Seriously. That guy has gone to some pretty impressive lengths to support us, and we are a pretty small meet compared to some of the events he's attending. Love just talking to him and learning about the science behind good audio, and invariably finding out about a couple of albums or artists I didn't know before that are amazeballs. An Etherstat just sounds like something I'm going to financially regret listening to.... Darn Dan and his great stuff! :wink:

Btw, I've updated the first post to reflect the new location-- we're going to be meeting in a community center in Nashville. It's significantly larger than anyplace we've met before (we have an entire basketball court to ourselves, and a couple other rooms to boot), the people running the place seem super nice, and they are totally cool with us having snacks and drinks on the premises. It's also a completely different type of space than we've used before, so I'm interested to see how it all works out. I took a couple of quick pictures of two of the rooms, but I don't know how useful they'll be in showing anything about the place, really... I think it's going to work out nicely for us, and I'm frankly relieved to have a place locked down, as that's been a bit of a stressor for me after our usual place fell through. 

Okay, off to get some other stuff done... I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open at the moment (long night last night), so if I wandered into nonsensical dreamspeak anywhere in here, please just forgive me and move on... I'll be better rested tomorrow. :p

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #71 of 348
I've been running these dual Questyle 800r's for the past 3 months in balanced mono configuration. I have not found anything else that makes me as happy as this amp pair. The cool thing is that this setup seems to be headphone agnostic. There is something about current mode amplification that seems to flesh out the best in different types of driver technology. I was worried that the dual amps would be "loud." But instead, there just seems to be better control, better imaging and staging.

I've run several really good amps through here in the past few months and nothing can knock off the Questyles. Can't wait for you all to hear what this setup does for the ETHERS. 

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #72 of 348
I'm in. I am super excited about the meet. Can't wait to hear and see all the great gear. It seems to be shaping up to be a great meet.

Gear that I will be bringing....

Headphones:
Beyer T1
Audeze EL-8 Closed (new production model)
Beyer T51i
Denon D7000
Grado RS1i

Amp: Marantz HD-DAC1

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #73 of 348

You know, I've been unsure what to think about cables for quite some time-- I do believe I hear a difference with some cables, but it's very minute, and I'm not sure I could distinguish it in a DBT. But when I frequented the British ATC forum for a while, the one thing that several of the guys there mentioned as having made the biggest difference with their active monitors were the power cables. (One guy even went so far as to have a power line run into his listening room with American voltages and plugs so he could use high-quality aftermarket power cables, which apparently aren't much made in European variants). At some point, I'd like to be able to check that out for myself as well. Not much point in it before I can sell my old house and get a new one, but that's something I'd like to evaluate too. Thanks for the feedback on 'em!

Yea, I fully agree.  I decided to upgrade the power cables when I got a quorum from a few Head-Fi advisors.  I expected some improvement, but when I got the rig up and running, I was quite impressed with the new SQ.  With the HD800, the soundstage of some music is now too wide (according to Annette) that may detract from the listening pleasure.  I don't hear that, personally, but this is why we have meets.  The SQ of the LCD-X has certainly been improved, IMO.

That's why I now think that the Kimber - GMB - BHA-1 rig will challenge the Yggy - Rag stack.

So y'all can hear it for yourselves, and check out the cables, at the meet.  Joe Saxon will be there to answer technical and sourcing questions.

Cheers,
Dick

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #74 of 348
Bad news looks like Dan is not coming after all. He is going to Canlanta and a thing in Chigaco . Peter said he would come but He said it was up to Dan and he wasn't saying anything so prolly not. Sorry to get ones hopes up but he did only say he would try.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #75 of 348
Bad news looks like Dan is not coming after all. He is going to Canlanta and a thing in Chigaco . Peter said he would come but He said it was up to Dan and he wasn't saying anything so prolly not. Sorry to get ones hopes up but he did only say he would try.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Scott sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back