Music City Meet -- Spring 2015 -- Pics & Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #166 of 357
Going to be borrowing the Project Ember to give it a spin for a week or two.  Really looking forward to it.  It's one of the few things we haven't had show up at any meets.

Anyone here have experience with the Garage amps?

May 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #168 of 357
  Going to be borrowing the Project Ember to give it a spin for a week or two.  Really looking forward to it.  It's one of the few things we haven't had show up at any meets.

Jealous here. Been wanting to try the Ember for some time. Guess I'll have to buy one if I want to try it out. 

same here, have come close a couple of times in the last few days since i got the ps1000 back, and a little tubey goodness might just fit the bill 
i will say, i'm so surprised how good the magi 2 and modi 2 uber perform with the big grado

May 5, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #169 of 357

I haven't but have heard great things about the synergy with the HE400i. I know the Lyr 2 is great with both my Grados and 560, even rocks with the Alclair.

May 5, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #170 of 357
I haven't but have heard great things about the synergy with the HE400i. I know the Lyr 2 is great with both my Grados and 560, even rocks with the Alclair.

The Lyr 2/HE-560 synergy might be the best I heard at the meet.

May 5, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #172 of 357
The Lyr 2/HE-560 synergy might be the best I heard at the meet.

Thanks @PhillyD, I enjoy them quite a bit, Trevor will be sending my repaired Draug 2 tomorrow. Can't wait to get them back together! The Lyr 2 is also very good with the PS1000 and PS500.

May 5, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #173 of 357
Thanks @PhillyD, I enjoy them quite a bit, Trevor will be sending my repaired Draug 2 tomorrow. Can't wait to get them back together! The Lyr 2 is also very good with the PS1000 and PS500.

I think that my amp is too similar in performance (not quite as good but still close) to merit an upgrade to the Lyr 2. I think I'd cough up the extra for the Cavali Liquid Carbon or something else around $600.

I'd also be upgrading my DAC at the same time. That's quite far in the future. I'd be building a rig for either the 560's and later on, Ethers.

May 11, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #174 of 357
Hi All,
Just an update on my progress...moving to high-res music.
1) Purchased jRiver for my Mac at Matt's suggestion - like it a Lot.
2) Moved the 24/96 files from the meet into jRiver.
3) Found several hundred CD's stored in various corners around the house.  Most had been ripped into iTunes as 192 MP3 :frowning2:.
4) Began ripping the CD's at 16/44 into jRiver and deleting those albums from iTunes.
5) Opened an account at HDtracks.  Boy, is that dangerous, although I don't find the albums to be uber-expensive for the quality.  Bought 12 albums at 24/96 FLAC.
6) Decided on a DAP and ordered an AK120ii bundle at the great price of $1400 new (includes a charger, 128GB micro, and toslink cable).  Delivers next week.  Made this decision after I verified the AK120ii can be used as a source feeding into my Gungnir/Mjolnir stack, so won't have to always use the Mac as the source.

Net - I am happy with the transition.  The music sounds Much better.  Oh, to make this discovery so far into the process!!
Thanks to all who helped me discover better music listening, at the Music City Meet!!

Best regards,
Dick

May 11, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #175 of 357
  Hi All,
Just an update on my progress...moving to high-res music.
1) Purchased jRiver for my Mac at Matt's suggestion - like it a Lot.
2) Moved the 24/96 files from the meet into jRiver.
3) Found several hundred CD's stored in various corners around the house.  Most had been ripped into iTunes as 192 MP3 :frowning2:.
4) Began ripping the CD's at 16/44 into jRiver and deleting those albums from iTunes.
5) Opened an account at HDtracks.  Boy, is that dangerous, although I don't find the albums to be uber-expensive for the quality.  Bought 12 albums at 24/96 FLAC.
6) Decided on a DAP and ordered an AK120ii bundle at the great price of $1400 new (includes a charger, 128GB micro, and toslink cable).  Delivers next week.  Made this decision after I verified the AK120ii can be used as a source feeding into my Gungnir/Mjolnir stack, so won't have to always use the Mac as the source.

Net - I am happy with the transition.  The music sounds Much better.  Oh, to make this discovery so far into the process!!
Thanks to all who helped me discover better music listening, at the Music City Meet!!

Best regards,
Dick

you went all in dick ! congrats 

May 11, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #176 of 357
  you went all in dick ! congrats 

Still learning.  Some of the 24/96 albums aren't so good.  It really depends on the quality of the original recording.
With that said, I'm now able to really enjoy the Yes albums "Fragile" and "Close to the Edge" two of my favorites at 24/96 and they sound Great!!

Best -
Dick

May 11, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #177 of 357

Still learning.  Some of the 24/96 albums aren't so good.  It really depends on the quality of the original recording.
With that said, I'm now able to really enjoy the Yes albums "Fragile" and "Close to the Edge" two of my favorites at 24/96 and they sound Great!!

Best -
Dick

i agree %100
a badly engineered, mastered recording in 24/96 is still bad
a well done 16/44 can be very good, 

May 11, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #178 of 357

Best -
Dick

Fragile is an incredible album in hi-res Roundabout is on my audio test list!

May 11, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #179 of 357

Hope your wife isn't mad at me for being the one to first mention the word FLAC to you. 
beyersmile.png

May 11, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #180 of 357

Best regards,
Dick

And thank you for allowing me to spend so much time with your LCD-X.  Pulled the trigger on a pair about an hour ago.  Many thanks, Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back