Music City Meet / Nashville, TN Area / May 10, 2014 (UPDATED 3/4/2014)
Feb 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 172

rsgladwin85

100+ Head-Fier
Welcome everyone to the thread for what I am hoping is to become the Annual Music City Meet.  I have wondered for a couple years now, why I haven't seen a meet for this area.  I was excited to see some interest when someone dug up an old thread asking about interest for the Nashville / Middle TN / North Alabama / Kentucky area.  Obviously everyone is invited, you don't have to be from those areas.  Due to the interest that was expressed in that older thread it seemed that the Nashville, TN area would be the ideal location.  It is a centralized location for most.  It's also known as music city, what could be more fitting?

The date has yet to be determined, however I believe it would make sense to say tentative late spring, possibly early summer.  This will hopefully allow for a higher number of members as school will not be in session.  It will also allow for proper time to plan, based on level of interest.

Below is some information I'm interested in collecting for the meet:

All members interested, if you could reply and let me know what your availability is, what gear you will be bringing, and how many people will be joining you.  (If you don't have anything, or very little to bring, no worries, this will hopefully only fuel your fire, haha)

If anyone knows of a company that is local, and would like me to try to get them to stop by and demo their products, let me know and I will do my best.  

I would also like to provide some food / refreshments.  If you have any food allergies, let me know and I will do my best to avoid such items. (Just a quick note, I will not be providing alcohol, lol)

Any other suggestions or requests, feel free to let me know.  I promise if they are reasonable I'll give them strong consideration.

If you would like to get involved and help out with organizing this event, I'm open for help.

Information will be compiled in post #2 as far as who is planning to attend, and what they will be bringing.  Thanks all. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

(UPDATE 2/28/2014)

I have contacted the Music City Sheraton hotel in Nashville, about hosting the meet there.  I have actually stayed at and attended functions in this hotel previously.  They have a ton of options for spaces to host this event.  Also, what better place to host the Music City Meet, than the Music City Shearton?

Also, I have been looking at a date of May 10, 2014.  This isn't set in stone, and can easily be adjusted at this point.  If this is going to conflict for anyone let me know and we can discuss other options.  

My intentions are to stay at the hotel on Friday night, to meet anyone else that plans on staying there, or just wants to come by and get a quick familiarization.  Perhaps we could all go for dinner that night?

I sent out an invitation to Tyll Heartsens of Innerfidelity . I'm sure he would be interesting to meet and have lots of insight.
-Tyll sent me a response on 3/2/2014, letting me know he would be unable to attend.  

(UPDATE 3/4/2014)

AURISONICS has let me know that they would like to support us with this event!!  They have told me they will remain in contact with me to work out the specifics.  Great News indeed!

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 172
Tentatively Attending:

rsgladwin85:

Gear - Subject to change.

Emotiva XDA-2 (DAC / Amp)
          Emotiva Mini-X A-100
          Fiio E12
          Denon AH-D2000 w/ MartinCustomAudio Macadamia Nut Wood & BTG Audio Custom Cable & Lawton Audio Angle Pads
          JVC HARX-700 w/ Dampening Mod
          Darth Beyer V3XD Mahogany Cups
          AKG K712
          Woo Audio Dual Headphone Stand (quality that deserves mentioning)

skyline315:

Gear -  HRT MSII
          Asgard 1
          DT880 - 250 ohm
          DT1350

Theogenes (+4):

Gear - Hifiman HE-6
         Audio-gd Master 8
         Beyerdynamic T5p 
         Lynx Hilo

kclarksville (+2):

Gear -  Antique Sould Lab Mg Head DT 
          Little Dot Mk3 
          Grado SR80i Headphones

jaywillin:

Gear -  MAD Ear+ HD
          Wadia 121
          Audeze LCD-X
          Grado GS1000i
          Grado RS1i

bigweasleyfan:

Gear -  Fostex T10

Oteil:

Gear -  K.I.C.A.S. Caliente amp
          Glow Audio Amp One
          Denon 2000,5000 & 7000
          Grado GS1000(Original)
          RS1 Buttonless
          HF-2
          SR-80i
          Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
          Pure Digital Dock
          Bel Canto DAC2 

JoeDoe:

Gear -  RS1i
          Ironwood SR225i
          SennGrados
          LD1+ with several tubes/opamps
          DX50

RUMAY408:

Gear -  Sennheiser HD800
          HD595
          Beyerdynamic T1
          AKG K240 Sextett LP version
          Fostex T10
          HiFiMan HE400
          ALO Audio MKlllB+
          Meier Corda Classic
          Audioquest Dragonfly DAC
          Meier Daccord

hrbballman: Maybe

Gear -  Spl phonitor
          PS audio nuwave
          Sansui ss-100
          Sony Dr-z6
          Sansui sh-15
          Yamaha yhd-2

Postal_Blue (+1): Maybe

Gear -  HD580
          DT990
          D5000
          Grub => CKIII
          SOHA II
          Porta Corda III (diy kit version)
          Carrie/Grub USB System

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 172

UPDATE

The Music City Meet 2014 is still happening, but some of the details have changed!! Please see the new thread for all the latest information. I can't wait to see you guys there!!!

(Updated 4/30/2014)

Original Post: 

Woo-hoo!! Count me in!! And yeah, PM me if there's something I can do to help!! To answer your questions: 

Attending: depending on date and availability, of course, it would probably be me, my mom, my sister, and one or two friends. 

Gear to Bring: as a horrible hoarder of gear, I have more stuff than I probably should. As far as things I could bring that people might have an interest in: 

-Hifiman HE-6 (stock... for now)
-Audio-gd Master 8
-Beyerdynamic T5p (stock... for now)
-Lynx Hilo

There might be more stuff, but I figure this is the stuff people would most likely want to hear. I wouldn't be able to bring everything I own, but the above is probably doable. I'm open to suggestions from my other stuff though. 

[Note: before anybody has a heart attack at the monoliths of text below (polyliths?), realize these are just random thoughts and ideas-- nobody in their right mind, and not even nutjobs like me, would expect ALL of these participants in the best of circumstances.]

Local Companies: Aurisonics (definitely, they were one of my faves at Canlanta and between me and my mom we've purchased no less than 6 IEMs from them for ourselves and others. GREAT company!); Emotiva, as you've mentioned before (perhaps with the thought that, in addition to the obvious DACs, they could bring some of their lower-powered poweramps to be hooked up to orthos to audition, as that would be a way they could use their existing product line to break into a segment of the headphone market); Grimey's (for music, although I don't know how well this would fit for them); HifiBuys (the only hifi dealer in Nashville that I was aware of until very recently, and they do carry some headphone gear); Prestige Audio (they carry mostly speaker stuff, but they carry some DACs, integrated amps, and the like that might be of interest); Vintage Hifi (they restore old gear, which actually could be very appropos given the interest in vintage amps for ortho headphones-- and since they do turntables, maybe team them up with Grimey for an analog corner?); somebody from pro audio, maybe Vintage King (there are a TON of such places in Nashville, and there is some pretty highly respected pro gear around HF... and if nothing else, maybe just invite a bunch of pro guys to attend and see what we audiophile whackjobs are up to); AVE (Audio Video Environments) Nashville (they have some high-end media streamers, furniture and racks, and some high-end brands like Anthem, Halcro, Meridian, etc), and probably others that I'm wholly unaware of. 

Other Companies: the Canlanta meet last year (link) had some pretty great audio companies that aren't necessary local to Nashville, but would definitely be worth checking on: Headamp, Beezar, Heir Audio (who I don't think was able to come), and JH Audio were there (or had intended to be there, at least). There was also somebody there representing Astell & Kern, but I'm not sure who they were (didn't get a chance to get over there to see 'em, unfortunately). And although I'm guessing it's way too far for Tyll or Headroom to make it, it couldn't hurt to ask! Really, any Head-Fi sponsor would probably be awesome to have there, if they'd be willing to make it. 

Food: No allergies or anything, but if you want to do this like a pot luck or just need me to contribute by bringing something, lemme know! Just don't ask me to cook... headphones and salmonella just don't mix well IMO. 

Other Thoughts: if we end up doing this at a hotel, you can usually negotiate a reduced rate due to the people staying there, especially once you know how many people will attend. Also, I don't know if Purk would have any interest in attending, but he seemed like a killer guy, and has some truly unobtanium audio gear that he was generous enough to bring to Canlanta, so he'd be an awesome guy to invite personally-- hell, I'll buy the guy a beer if he wants to make the trip!

Sorry for the Vesuvius of verbosity there... Just really excited about the prospect of getting to attend another meet!! :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 172
Since we've only gotten two responses so far, I went ahead and pm'ed everyone that was on the original thread and let them know about this meet being planned.  Hopefully it brings them on over.  I can't really plan a meet for 3 members to attend, lol.

Well the mass PM brought a couple more people in here, and I also got on in return from travisg saying he was in.  Starting to actually look like a meet.  I started looking for venues today.  I would like to find a hotel that has a space big enough for the proper room configuration for this.  One of my concerns is whether or not they will have enough electrical outlets for us to use without blowing a fuse, haha.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 172
I  would love to attend and meet everyone. I am available most weekends and I will bringing my wife and daughter. 

Gear 
Antique Sould Lab Mg Head DT 
Little Dot Mk3 
Grado SR80i Headphones  ( I do not have anything fancy but I am sure it will provide some variety ) 

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 172
well alright !
i'd actually considered trying to get something together for this area myself
i know there are a couple of folks in the area that might be interested too
will start spreading the word !

there is a big meet in charlotte mid april i believe, might want to be aware for scheduling purposes

i could probably bring my MAD Ear+ HD, a wadia 121
lcd x
gs1000i
rs1i

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 172
My gear:

HRT MSII
Asgard 1
DT880 - 250 ohm
DT1350

I also have an analogue setup if the whole Grimey's/Vintage HI-Fi thing panned out.  Otherwise, I really wouldn't want to mess with transporting a TT.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 172
I am interested in attending.

My gear:
K.I.C.A.S. Caliente amp
Glow Audio Amp One
Denon 2000,5000 & 7000
Grado GS1000(Original)
RS1 Buttonless
HF-2
SR-80i
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
Pure Digital Dock
I've got a Bel Canto DAC2 as well if anyone is interested in hearing it.......

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 172
May 10th is currently looking good for me.

I live in Nashville and work downtown so if you need any input/advice or help setting things up, feel free to drop me a PM.

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 172
  I am interested in attending.

My gear:
K.I.C.A.S. Caliente amp
Glow Audio Amp One
Denon 2000,5000 & 7000
Grado GS1000(Original)
RS1 Buttonless
HF-2
SR-80i
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
Pure Digital Dock
I've got a Bel Canto DAC2 as well if anyone is interested in hearing it.......

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying, I am definitely interested in hearing it.  I have seen them online, but never gotten the chance to hear anything from Bel Canto.  You look like you're going to have quite a lot to bring with you, and we all appreciate your contribution.  I can't wait to compare my custom D2k's to your D5 and D7k's.

Thank all of you that have offered to assist me with this process.  As things arise I will most certainly be in contact with you.  It seems we have 13 people at the moment that are planning to attend, with some nice gear to check out.  On a side note, I'm planning to pick up a U-Turn Audio Orbit Turntable that was a Kickstarter featured I believe on Steve's Guttenbergs article "The Audiophliac" over on c-net.  Would anyone be interested in me bringing it with?

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #13 of 172
   On a side note, I'm planning to pick up a U-Turn Audio Orbit Turntable that was a Kickstarter featured I believe on Steve's Guttenbergs article "The Audiophliac" over on c-net.  Would anyone be interested in me bringing it with?

Well, I certainly wouldn't mind hearing how it stacks up to my Debut Carbon, but dragging a TT around can be a royal pain...

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #14 of 172

Well, I certainly wouldn't mind hearing how it stacks up to my Debut Carbon, but dragging a TT around can be a royal pain...

its been a long time since i've had a turntable, and i've been considering getting one, so i'd certainly be interested in listening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back