Music City Meet / Nashville, TN Area / May 10, 2014 -- NEW THREAD!!
May 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #16 of 59
i'll be having to jet back pretty quick, looking forward to the beyers, and i've had almost all of the schiit pieces BUT the vahalla, cool !

Boo. Well, it'll still be cool to meet you there, and we'll have something to look forward to for the next meet!! :)

I've got a million dinner suggestions...just give me a "genre" of food and I'll spit out a list :p

I think I'll be able to make it Friday night.

AWESOME!! Glad you'll be able to make it, man!! Not sure who else is gonna be there at this point, but I'm sure it will be awesome however it ends up happening :wink:

On picking the place: how about a set of general criteria, and we can narrow down as needed? I'm thinking casual atmosphere, reasonable price, not vegan (I feel it necessary to add this, because whenever we're eating in Nashville with my sister, she'll take us to a $%^& vegan restaurant if we don't specifically say we don't want to go to one-- I heart meat waaay too much), not a national chain, and I'd prefer it if they had a decent beer selection (especially dark beers... *licking lips creepily*). 

Really excited to hear all of that beyer stuff, by the way...

Theo, is your HE6 making the trip?

The HE-6 is most definitely coming, and I've got a pretty solid rig to drive it I think: laptop > Hilo > Master 8 > F5 clone > HE-6. Finally got everything up and running with that setup, and I've been really, really impressed. I'm currently using the Audeze vegan pads (ironically enough, given the above conversation), and while I'm not sure I'm completely sold on them at this point, they sure are comfortable as all get-out. 

I'm actually really interested in the Beyer stuff too... I've only heard 3 of their cans (770, 880, and my T5p), but I've liked what I've heard (particularly with the 880 and T5p), and I've always liked the way the T1 has been described in reviews and whatnot. After talking with Ben last night, it sounds like that T51p is the real deal, and I'm pretty stoked to get to listen to it too!

I've also got a handful of portable amps and DACs that I thought about bringing (Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II, iBasso D-Zero, iBasso DX50, Meier Audio PCSTEP, JDS Labs O2). Any interest in hearing those? 

Also, I just realized nobody else is down to bring the LCD-2, so I guess I'll bring that one along too. (I need to buy a bus for all this stuff... :p)

May 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #17 of 59
  Boo. Well, it'll still be cool to meet you there, and we'll have something to look forward to for the next meet!! :)

AWESOME!! Glad you'll be able to make it, man!! Not sure who else is gonna be there at this point, but I'm sure it will be awesome however it ends up happening :wink:

On picking the place: how about a set of general criteria, and we can narrow down as needed? I'm thinking casual atmosphere, reasonable price, not vegan (I feel it necessary to add this, because whenever we're eating in Nashville with my sister, she'll take us to a $%^& vegan restaurant if we don't specifically say we don't want to go to one-- I heart meat waaay too much), not a national chain, and I'd prefer it if they had a decent beer selection (especially dark beers... *licking lips creepily*). 

The HE-6 is most definitely coming, and I've got a pretty solid rig to drive it I think: laptop > Hilo > Master 8 > F5 clone > HE-6. Finally got everything up and running with that setup, and I've been really, really impressed. I'm currently using the Audeze vegan pads (ironically enough, given the above conversation), and while I'm not sure I'm completely sold on them at this point, they sure are comfortable as all get-out. 

I'm actually really interested in the Beyer stuff too... I've only heard 3 of their cans (770, 880, and my T5p), but I've liked what I've heard (particularly with the 880 and T5p), and I've always liked the way the T1 has been described in reviews and whatnot. After talking with Ben last night, it sounds like that T51p is the real deal, and I'm pretty stoked to get to listen to it too!

I've also got a handful of portable amps and DACs that I thought about bringing (Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II, iBasso D-Zero, iBasso DX50, Meier Audio PCSTEP, JDS Labs O2). Any interest in hearing those? 

Also, I just realized nobody else is down to bring the LCD-2, so I guess I'll bring that one along too. (I need to buy a bus for all this stuff... :p)

A few recommendations.  This is just the tip of the iceburg, so let me know if you want more:

Burgers:
Burger Up - Great place...all local ingredients.  Has a location in Franklin.
Pharmacy Burger - East Nashville hipster place.  Pretty solid burgers.

BBQ:
Peg Leg Porker - There are other bbq places, but this is probably #2 on my list in Nashville.  #1 is way outside of town and wouldn't be convenient for people to get to.  Great dry ribs.

Southern:
Puckett's - Awesome meat and three.  Has a Franklin location.
Monells - Family style/big table dining.  A bit of a unique experience for those who aren't used to it.

Pizza/Italian:
Mafiaoza's - Average italian food, pretty good pizza, and it's got a lot of loyal customers that swear by it.  
Five Points Pizza - I haven't been there yet, but it's all the rage.

Asian Fusion:
PM - Something different.  Sushi, authentic asian dishes, combined with a lot of fusion plates.  Burgers with wasabi mayonnaise and the like.  

Mexican:
Taco Mamacita - Three locations - here, Chattanooga, and S.Carolina, so I don't know if this lives up to your local requirement.

Breweries:
Blackstone - Average food, but the fish and chips are good.  Tons of beer to choose from.
Yazoo Brewery - No real food, but I think Yazoo beer is kind of awesome.
Boscos - Like Taco Mamacita, it's not exactly local.  But, it only has 4 locations, so it's not exactly national.  Decent food and pretty good beer selection.

Also of interest:  We have a pretty cool record store named Grimey's if anyone is into vinyl or just indie record stores in general.  They also have an attached bookstore and coffee shop.

May 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #18 of 59
Man... lots of good-sounding recommendations there!! Thanks for taking the time to look up and include all the links!! I've had Monell's (absolutely amazing food), Blackstone (meh), and Taco Mamacita (pretty darn good!). I've heard of some of the other ones too... Honestly, I'm pretty much cool with anything on there. Since we've got some good choices already, let's cull the herd here a bit (little East Tennessee idiom for y'all there): How about we rule out places without beer (so Monell's is off) and with average (or no) food (Blackstone, Yazoo and Mafiaoza's), so that leaves us (based on your list) with the following: 

Burger Up
Pharmacy Burger 
Peg Leg Porker 
Puckett's
Five Points Pizza 
PM
Taco Mamacita
Boscos

Puckett's looks great (Cajun chicken and waffles? Please and thank you!), Burger Up seems interesting if somewhat limited menu-wise (worth it just to try a Lamb Burger... *wipes corners of mouth*), Pharmacy sounds really good and has some AWESOME sounding beers (if Terrapin Dos Cocoas is anything like their Moo-Hoo milk stout... I will probably love it to a degree that strikes most normal people as unhealthy, to say the least), Peg Leg Porker's stuff sounds excellent (do they serve beer though?), Five Points has some tasty upscale-looking pies (and has Yazoo and Calfkiller, two great local breweries), PM sounds interesting (as long as everyone's down with sushi and the like, which I am), Taco Mamacita is just really good Mexican food, and Bosco's actually has a pretty impressively diverse menu considering it fits on a single page, and the beer options there look pretty interesting too!

Don't know if that's remotely helpful (or, in fact, the exact opposite), but anyway, them's my thoughts :p. One note: I realize that I have mentioned beer about 100 times in talking about this meet, and want to reassure everyone that I'm not a raving alcoholic or anything. In fact, I'm on a diet that only allows me to drink beer one day a week, so I tend to really try to have a couple that are particularly interesting or tasty. I'm not planning on taking off my pants and running around or anything, if that's a concern. (Although I didn't really plan on taking 'em off all those other times either... Ha! Kidding, natch.)

Btw, on an unrelated note: would anyone who has a multimeter be willing to bring it so I can try to figure out which lead goes where on an XLR-to-speaker taps adapter that I have? I've got another one that works just fine, but I'm sure this one would work too if I knew which spade was left, right, +/-, etc. If not, no worries, but I thought I'd ask. :)

I'm also definitely planning on driving down tomorrow morning for the A-VCOA event, if anybody else is planning on going. (See you there, Ben!) 

May 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 59
I'll try to still make it. However, I'm moving this week, and you never know what will happen with that.

Hey man, we'll keep a seat warm for you, but if you have to move we'll understand. (I moved last month, and it's pretty much one of the suckiest things you can do). I really do hope you can make it though!!

May 5, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 59
GREAT NEWS, GUYS!!!!

I just got a message from Zach at ZMF, and he is going to DONATE his ZMF V1 to the event as a raffle prize to support us!!!! These are recabled for mini-XLR, and look AMAZING (I'm going to try to post pics below, but if it gets wonky I may have to do it tomorrow-- I'm using a tablet on a business trip at the moment). Raffle tickets will probably be $5-10 dollars, and I'm actually totally kosher with nobody getting any tickets, as that means I'll get to keep 'em!! :D

And MattTCG might be joining us as well (with those sexy Oppo PM-1 cans... that are really, REALLY good), so things just keep getting better and better!!

May 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #22 of 59
very cool !!
and i'll buy a ticket ! maybe a couple ! lol

May 6, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #24 of 59
I know, right?

Plus, way to blow up my nefarious scheme to default into keeping the ZMF V1, Jay... Jeez. 
tongue.gif

May 6, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #25 of 59
  I know, right?

Plus, way to blow up my nefarious scheme to default into keeping the ZMF V1, Jay... Jeez. 
tongue.gif

diabolical ain't i ??

May 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #26 of 59
May 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #27 of 59
just putting it out there, i may have the alpha dogs available for sale/trade at the meet, i may have a deal on them already, but its not definite , i'm looking to possibly get a hifiman 560, or an he-6
i'm not coming to "sell gear" just thought someone may have some interest

May 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #28 of 59
Totally cool, Jay. If anybody wants to buy any of my stuff (see the selloff link in my sig) I can bring it too. 

And I am somewhat concerned now... I don't need to by any more @#$& headphones, but I REALLY want to hear those Alphas.... The new slogan for the meet should be "Dang it Jay!!"

:p

May 6, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #29 of 59
  Totally cool, Jay. If anybody wants to buy any of my stuff (see the selloff link in my sig) I can bring it too. 

And I am somewhat concerned now... I don't need to by any more @#$& headphones, but I REALLY want to hear those Alphas.... The new slogan for the meet should be "Dang it Jay!!"

:p

well, i tell ya, as much as i'd like to go out and order the 560, or get an he-6, i really don't want to get rid of any of my stuff !
unless of i actually hear something i can't live without !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back