Music City Meet - Fall 2015 - Pictures & Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #241 of 260
ohhhhhh, the t1, one of my favorites ! 
you like it ?

So far! It pairs really well with the MAD and and NOS Sylvania. The jury is still out on whether it will be a long term keeper. (Especially now that I've got the GH1 with bowls.)

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #242 of 260
So far! It pairs really well with the MAD and and NOS Sylvania. The jury is still out on whether it will be a long term keeper. (Especially now that I've got the GH1 with bowls.)

so, i might want to start collecting cans on the side of the road ? 
i bet the t1 would sound REALLY  nice with the h10, the dt880 did

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #245 of 260
Okay back to Head Fi after a brief and disappointing hiatus into American Politics.

I will again be bringing Norne Cables, hopefully Alclair Universal samples, I'll be reviewing their yet to be named Audiophile ciem for the June Issue of Headphone Guru (with thanks and props to Matt). Also I'll have the iFi Retro 50 for headphone and desktop listening. I'll also check and see if Airist will allow me to hold on to the Herron 5 until after the Meet. Also will have the Meze Classic 99's, a little garish looking, but they are a smoking bargin for portable use.

We will be moving to Lexington in June, so April 9th remains a great date. Burnley, any chance Dan will make it out? Would love to listen to his gear again!

Without starting A Thing, I think it's safe to say that basically any foray into American politics at this point would be likely to end in disappointment. Ugh. 

Very cool on the gear! I've actually been looking into CIEMs recently, and after deciding on the UERM, found out they aren't making them anymore 
mad.gif
. So I've picked up a used one, and now I'm looking for someone to reshell the suckers. If anyone has recommendations, lemme know!

You always have the coolest stuff... And I think you have better relationships with vendors than I do! :p Dunno about Dan, but I sent out the invite for everybody today, so hopefully he can make it... He's definitely one of my favorite attendees, and the Ether-C is just a spectacular headphone IMO. I'll let you know what I hear back from him!

While helping for the Atlanta meet is taking more time than I imagined, I'm still down to join you guys. Wouldn't miss it. Got my calender marked!! I will be bringing whatever gear I haven't sold or traded on the day of the event. 
tongue.gif

Right now I'm in love with the dual mono Questyle cma800r amps. They have been shockingly good with every hp I've paired with them. I sold the Gumby for the NAD m51. I loved the tonal balance of the Gumby but the NAD was necessary for the perfect volume control with the dual mono. So right now, it's Ethers, HEX and hd650. 

See you all there...

Perfect!! I know you're sinking a ton of time into Canlanta, and I wouldn't blame you for not being able to make it up, but it wouldn't be the same without you, man :wink:. I am really excited about the Canlanta meet, though!!

And you know, I am going to have to actually get over there to try out those Questyle amps this time. I find them intriguing, and I've often found your opinion and mine syncing up nicely on audio gear, so it sounds like I'll have to make a point of it this go-around. 

Well, I had to Google the Onkyo DP-X1 and that looks like one impressive puppy!!  What is MQA?

BTW, I ordered an Oppo HA-2 and should have it available at the meet.

Yeah, I've really liked it so far. It's definitely not perfect, but it's good enough that I've done more listening since I've gotten it than I have in several months prior-- adding quality listening time when I'm not at my desk at home has proved to be a big plus for me. My balanced headphone jack has started to tilt a bit (think Pisa, Italy) in spite of almost ludicrous precautions to keep it from any tugging or jostling, so now I've gotta figure out what I'm going to do about that... Boo.

And cool on the Oppo! I haven't always gotten excited about the voicing on their headphones, but I've been a big fan of their electronics for years. My first "nice" CD/DVD player was the DV971H, which I still have boxed up somewhere. Wish they would come out with some phones I could use...

Haha, yes and yes. Had one for about 2 days. As per usual, still not a Grado :)

I do have quite a different lineup than I did at the last meet.

Cans:
  1. RS1i
  2. GH1
  3. SennGrado (for sale)
  4. Beyer T1
  5. Tralucent 1+2
  6. Meze 99 (for sale)

Amp:
  1. MAD Ear+ HD with a few tubes

Sources:
  1. Bladelius DAC
  2. Rega DAC
  3. AK100ii

Maybe I'll leave the meet with a few less boxes than I brought... :)

Man, every time I see you, you have jumped up another rung on the endless Audiophile Ladder! I do have to ask you: whaddya think about that Tralucent? I remember digging the things I read about it in the Aurisonics comparison thread a while back...

Wish I could join but unfortunately I have a lot going on at work for the next few months.  Sounds like a blast... Will hopefully be able to make it out to the Fall meet and catch up with you guys!

Boo! Wish you could make it, man... And of course, if anything changes last minute, you are more than welcome to come on down unannounced! If not, we'll have one for you at the pre- or post-meet dinner :p.

I have a pair. I'm planning on being there. 

Very cool! From the sounds of it, this is a more neutrally balanced Fostex than the other two, which seems to be a niche worth filling. In fact, I really wish they'd come out with a TOTL (truly) closed-back can with dead neutral tuning, as I think their current headphones do a good job with detail retrieval and timbre, and would be a real contender with flatter FR. Do you dig yours thus far? 

Also, just a couple of quick updates for everybody: 
  1. The venue has not replied back yet, and I failed to call him at the end of last week, so I'm going to try to call him tomorrow and lock it down. Thanks are in order to Skyline and RTaylor76 (and everybody else who offered helpful suggestions) for their help with trying to sew up a place to meet. Our timeline is a bit more truncated this time around (and my schedule is even less convenient than before), so I have not been able to do the amount of research and background work on other locations that I have in the past. I'm going to add the locations you guys mentioned to my notes for next time, and I'm also going to look into possibly getting 501(c)3 status to see if that would make sense for us. We'll see what happens with that, but for now, as long as I can get confirmation, we'll be back at the Best Western in Franklin again. More to come. 
  2. I sent out a blast message (haven't had the time to do the individual messages like before, unfortunately) to potential vendors today, so hopefully we'll start getting some responses this week. The list of companies I've reached out to is below; some of these guys are great about responding, and some of them have never sent a response of any kind, so if you have a particularly good contact at one of these places, please let me know and I'll try to reach out to them specifically. Also, as always, please let me know if there is anyone else you would like me to invite!

Potential Vendors:
  1. HifiMAN
  2. Mr Speakers
  3. Woo Audio
  4. Fender IEM (formerly Aurisonics)
  5. Audeze
  6. ZMF Headphones
  7. Massdrop
  8. Schiit
  9. HeadRoom
  10. Leckerton Audio
  11. HeadAmp
  12. Wyred4Sound
  13. Ultimate Ears
  14. Campfire Audio
  15. Sennheiser
  16. Questyle
  17. Beyerdynamic

I should probably point out that my invitation definitely does not mean that any of these people/companies will necessarily support us, but this is who I've tried to contact thus far. If there are any glaring omissions (or just companies you would like me to reach out to), again, please just let me know!

Okay, that's all for now... Gotta get a workout in, do laundry, figure out dinner, and plan out how I'm going to get everything done this week with all these #$% training classes I have to attend :p

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #246 of 260
I ate lunch at Cool Springs brewery and checked to see if they had the private room available.  I have it booked for Friday April 8th for our pre-meet dinner.

I can cancel it, if something better comes up.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #247 of 260
  I ate lunch at Cool Springs brewery and checked to see if they had the private room available.  I have it booked for Friday April 8th for our pre-meet dinner.

I can cancel it, if something better comes up.

Awesome! Thank you for being Johnny On The Spot on this :p

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #248 of 260
Aaaaaand BOOM, Woo Audio is on board to support us again!! Mike will be sending a couple of interesting toys, including one I can't talk about just yet 
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I'm not even a tube guy, really, and I still get amped about their stuff... Seriously, if you've never heard a WA22 with a top-flight set of tubes in it, you are just missing out. 

Here we go again, boys!! :)

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #250 of 260
  Really awesome to see Woo step up like that.

Again.  

Seriously. 

Mike is one of the friendliest guys I have met. Super, super good dude. At some point I'm gonna have to have a Woo amp just 'cuz I like the guy... Although after saying that, I have some insight into the nonsensical fiscal decisions that have left me with a great series of audio toys and an apartment in Murderville, USA. Thankfully, his stuff is actually pretty great too :wink:

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #251 of 260
I am conversing with Warren to see if he will come and represses end the Cavallis Line,,he's very interested. I'll follow up when I get confirmation.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #252 of 260
Is it a confirmed 4/9 date for the meet? If so, damn my schedule as I'll be flying to Wisconsin for a family event. On top of that, I'll be at a wedding during Canlanta. This will be the third year in a row I've planned on going to one of these meets and something inevitably screws up my plans.

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #253 of 260
Is it a confirmed 4/9 date for the meet? If so, damn my schedule as I'll be flying to Wisconsin for a family event. On top of that, I'll be at a wedding during Canlanta. This will be the third year in a row I've planned on going to one of these meets and something inevitably screws up my plans.

Afraid so. Sorry for the bad luck :frowning2:

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #254 of 260

Man, every time I see you, you have jumped up another rung on the endless Audiophile Ladder! I do have to ask you: whaddya think about that Tralucent? I remember digging the things I read about it in the Aurisonics comparison thread a while back...

Dude, the Tra is easily the best sound I've ever heard from an in-ear.

I believe the headfonia review states that it's more Grado than Grado, and honestly, I'd have to agree. It's got a wonderfully extended, yet punchy low end, crystal clear and musical mids, and a tasty exciting treble. Besides the fact that the housings are a little on the large side, these are perfect!

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #255 of 260

Afraid so. Sorry for the bad luck
frown.gif

Welp, it's how things go, I guess. One of these days I'll get to meet y'all and not have to live (listen?) vicariously through your impressions threads. 
beerchug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back