Music City Meet, 4th Edition -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2015 (September 26, 2015)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 373
Little pre meet amp photos:

This amp is truly revealing of tubes. I had a gec 6as7g and b65 that were not microphonic in my peak/volcano and wheatfield ha-2, now they are quite microphonic. Still I have a 422a, 5998, and 6sn7w that are not microphonic and this amp sings with them. Cant wait for the meet.

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #17 of 373
^^ Those tubes are alarmingly close to the wooden shelf above. Makes me nervous for the amp and for you. 
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #18 of 373

This amp is truly revealing of tubes. I had a gec 6as7g and b65 that were not microphonic in my peak/volcano and wheatfield ha-2, now they are quite microphonic. Still I have a 422a, 5998, and 6sn7w that are not microphonic and this amp sings with them. Cant wait for the meet.

Do you still have the Volcano and Wheaton Amps?

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #19 of 373
The peak/volcano is for sale. Really nice price if I may toot my own horn for a second. The Wheatfield has sold already though.

Matt I know they are close but my little salamander stand is running out of room. Luckily the Teton runs a bit cooler than the wheatfield. I'm going to try and make a little room but I do not have the Pavane or kgsshv in yet. Pavane should be on it's way shortly, it is paid for, used from Vette Garage. The Carbon might get turned into a regular kgsshv. I want a black face plate/ ran out of money/ my used gear did not sell so well/ still gotta get the 009's after the kgsshv/ mjolnir kgsshv is still a really badass amp in its own right.

Anyone ever seen a Teton with black transformers? I think I might be the first? Glad I did, really sets off the look of the Teton being all uniformly black.

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #20 of 373
  subbed. I vote for Dan Clark to make another appearance. He is officially a rock star with the Ether and plus, he buys the pizza. 
tongue.gif

Me too.  Dan also brings great DACs and amps, along with a wealth of experience.

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 373
Matt - is the Fisher 500c making the trip this time?
I'm also interested in hearing new amps (for me) - Taurus mk2 and Bryston bha-1.  
Can't wait to see the grin on Pippin's face with those LCD-X on his head :)

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #22 of 373
would anyone have any interest in my desktop speaker setup ?  lepai amp, micca covo-s speakers, and jvc single driver, full range speakers ??

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #23 of 373
I'm also interested in hearing new amps (for me) - Taurus mk2 and Bryston bha-1.  

HUGE GRIN!  Got sort of a newbie question that I can't find an answer.  I plan to bring two systems assuming the Liquid Carbon arrives before the meet.  Will I be able to source both systems via USB from the same laptop(HP dv6)? Thanks

Aug 2, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 373
HUGE GRIN!  Got sort of a newbie question that I can't find an answer.  I plan to bring two systems assuming the Liquid Carbon arrives before the meet.  Will I be able to source both systems via USB from the same laptop(HP dv6)? Thanks
While windows doesn't support dual audio devices, Jriver does. You could also unplug and switch them to go back and forth between devices.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #25 of 373

I'll plan to bring at least one vintage receiver for the meet. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #26 of 373
  subbed. I vote for Dan Clark to make another appearance. He is officially a rock star with the Ether and plus, he buys the pizza. 
tongue.gif

Oh, Dan will most definitely be getting another invite. Great guy, great knowledge, great gear-- I'd be utterly nuts not to. (Well, even more nuts, I guess.) 

i'm down !

Boom!! The Legend himself :wink:. Looking forward to having you there, Jay!! We all missed ya last time!!

I'll be there

Gustard X12*
Gustard H10*
Auralic Vega
Cavalli Liquid Carbon(should be here by then fingers crossed)
Audeze LCD-X

I bet that X sounds great out of that LC... And I'm with Kevin, I'm really looking forward to hearing that Vega. Auralic seems to be one of those few brands that are darn near universally lauded by just about everybody, and particularly people whose opinions I respect most. Although I might be forced to tears if it's noticeably better than my Hilo... I've tried to hard to be good on my audio purchases lately, and that would be a suckerpunch to the ol' wallet fo sho. 

Yes, if I weren't so incapacitated. Bahaha!!  Let me check.

Ether
hd800
hd650
momentum 2

Project Ember 2, gungnir, Liquid Carbon (pre-order) and currently working on an amp for the hd800

Man, this meet is 7 weeks away... There's no telling what you'll actually have by then!! You should just put "TBD" in each category. 
biggrin.gif

Here's my list.  I'm looking forward to seeing y'all again.

KilKil:

Headphones:
Audio Technica W5000 with Brainwavz pads
AKG K550
AKG K501
AKG K7XX
AKG K701 (*)

Amplifiers:
Dynahi (DIY designed by Kevin Gilmore)
Millett Hybrid, oversized PS (DIY designed by Pete Millett) (*)

Sources:
NAD M51 DAC

Hey man!! I'm actually going to listen to your Dynahi this time... That was one of my big misses from the last meet. Although if I had the electrostat setup you do at home, I don't even know how much headphone listening I'd be able to do!! That was a pretty stellar setup, honestly. Color me intensely jealous. 

As of now, I will be attending with the following equpment.

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD595
Shure SE215
Logitech UE6000
Velodyne vPulse

Source Equipment:
Antique Sound Lab MG Head OTL Mark III tube amp
HiFimeDIY SPDIF Sabre DAC
iBasso D-Zero DAC/amp
Lenovo Y40-70 (laptop)
Huawei Honor 7 (phone)

Quite the collection you're establishing there!! You're gonna be another HF nutcase like several other guys in the crew if you don't watch it :wink:. Need to listen to that OTL amp this time, hated that I missed it last time... You gonna be bringing your boys with you this time, or flying solo like last time? 

Spoke to Trevor at Norne Audio, he again will be supporting the Meet. Please let me know if there are any requests, will have a couple of new cables.

My current lineup:

HE560
HD800
K7XX
Alclair RSM Quads

Little Dot Mk.3
Taurus Mk.2
Apex Glacier
Heir Amp 1

Monarchy M22B
Schiit Über Bifröst
iFi Nano iDSD

+ Various Norne Cables

I know I've said it before, but there are 3 guys in the cable world that I think very, very highly of-- and Trevor is absolutely one of them. His were the first custom cables I ever bought, and man, you just can't beat that guy's service. Truly stellar guy, and I can't wait to hear what he's cooked up now!! (One of these days, I'm gonna go all-out and get a Headthrone set for everything I own and just be done with cables for a while... Add that to the ever-lengthening list of audionutjob to-do's...)

Really excited to hear that Taurus too, man!! It's crazy the positive reviews that thing gets... And if I win the lottery between now and meet time, I'll buy you and I both an HEK, braces be damned :p

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL......................

That is all. 

would anyone have any interest in my desktop speaker setup ?  lepai amp, micca covo-s speakers, and jvc single driver, full range speakers ??

If there's a way we can set it up where we can listen to it without interfering with the headphone listening, I'm game! It'll probably come down to the venue, but I've told everyone I'm working with that I plan to lock in the location on Monday (10 August), so I should have a better idea of if that'll work by then. Put a pin in that one and remind me next week!

While windows doesn't support dual audio devices, Jriver does. You could also unplug and switch them to go back and forth between devices.

I didn't know JRiver did that!! Dude... That would make ABing DACs exponentially easier... You may have just made my day. 

I'll plan to bring at least one vintage receiver for the meet. 

You, sir, are a saint. Just make sure you don't slip a disc trying to load up one of those heavy @#$%. The vintage amps I've heard have sounded impressively good, but man, they are HUGE, and seem designed to prioritize sound quality only slightly over the creation of hernias. Looking forward to hearing whatever you bring, though!!

Managed to do a little venue snooping today after spending some time with the fam this morning... I think I might actually be getting a little more efficient at this whole thing. Maybe

Once I get the venue locked it, we'll start reaching out to vendors and seeing who can make it!! This is gonna be so much fun!!!!!! 

atsmile.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #27 of 373
These Shure SE215's are fantastic. They arrived today and they really shine. I'm running them out of the Huawei Honor 7 I recently got which has a solid DAC chip and headphone stage. They have a pretty similar tonality to the HD650. I'm enjoying them a lot so far!

Oh, Dan will most definitely be getting another invite. Great guy, great knowledge, great gear-- I'd be utterly nuts not to. (Well, even more nuts, I guess.) 

Quite the collection you're establishing there!! You're gonna be another HF nutcase like several other guys in the crew if you don't watch it :wink:. Need to listen to that OTL amp this time, hated that I missed it last time... You gonna be bringing your boys with you this time, or flying solo like last time? 

I didn't know JRiver did that!! Dude... That would make ABing DACs exponentially easier... You may have just made my day. 

I really hope to see Dan there! Getting barbecue with him was a blast. This time I'll be able to get myself a beer!

I'll be trying to sell the HD600, HD595 and UE6000, but for a little while I do have quite a lot of gear atm! I plan on hopefully upgrading my DAC, maybe modifying the amp and potentially getting myself some Hifiman cans in the next year or so.

I'll be flying solo again this year. I have a lady friend in Murfreesboro I want to visit after the meet.

I'm not actually 100% sure that it does this but I heard or was told it did. Definitely check it before relying on it for a test!

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #28 of 373
I am in. Had such a good time at the last meet and my mom doesn't have a birthday so I can stay for the whole meet. Just talked to the better half and we are coming down on Friday. So I will be down for any pre meet activities . I'll bring some extension cables and my Furman power strip. As for gear I got my Alpha Dogs , HE 400's Senn HD 280's and Havi B3 pro 1's. For amps all I got is my HifiMan EF2A and soon to be had Liquid Carbon and my new dac  Teac UD-301l. Not for sure what I will use to feed the setup I will have my Fiio X1 and Fio X12 Monte Blanc there to start it off. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #29 of 373
OK yeah, so im finally having a night just between the two of us...and man this baby is a BEAST!!! The TH 900 itself was a majestic and musical headphone, but now its something else entirely. Now we're talking about something that legitimately competes with Stax and HD 800 levels of quality. Everything has been tightened up, bringing out the micro-detail present in the TH 900 that you just couldnt hear because of interfering resonances. The power of "The Drop" in your electronic tunes, the snap of the drums, none of it is sacrificed, but rather enhanced in ways that have to be heard to be believed. This is not a small improvement over the stock, this is a pretty big transformation. Macedonian Hero on the TH 900 page said they were "much improved" to his ears and I will echo that opinion. I may have to buy a plane ticket out there to the Music City just to show this bad boy off! So far I am blown away.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #30 of 373
^Absolutely beautiful, hope to listen to them at the Meet!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back