Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Jan 21, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #497 of 1,173
I was getting all excited about switching. But then realised that Apple Watch is too much part of my lifestyle to loose it.

If and when you break or wear out your Apple Watch, you can transition to a Wear OS watch.They are iOS compatible, so you can run Google apps on your iPhone to help prepare for an easier transition to Android. https://wearos.google.com/

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #499 of 1,173
apologies if this has been covered before

But can anyone recommend or even tell me where to find a decent OTG capable cable that's terminated in a type b connection(the other side being type c, of course)? I can't seem to find anything with enough description for its use with a DAC. Only one, in fact.

To make a long story shorter:
I wanna use my Schiit Fulla with my V30, just for poops and giggles really. I'd rather not have to use bulky adapters. I have UAPP.
Please help... Lol

Thanks in advance

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #500 of 1,173
Not sure which V30 thread to post this, but the battery life is quite good for the V30/V30+. I was out walking this evening on a 1hr 20min walk and the phone has been charged before I started the walk to 100%. After the walk it showed 96%. So, only 4% battery usage listening to Tidal HiFi offline continuously for 1hr 20min. That's pretty good going as I was using my harder-to-drive AKG N40 IEMs so the volume was turned up quite high.

In the same circumstances, my iPhone 7 loses between around 10% of battery life.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #501 of 1,173
apologies if this has been covered before

But can anyone recommend or even tell me where to find a decent OTG capable cable that's terminated in a type b connection(the other side being type c, of course)? I can't seem to find anything with enough description for its use with a DAC. Only one, in fact.

To make a long story shorter:
I wanna use my Schiit Fulla with my V30, just for ****s and giggles really. I'd rather not have to use bulky adapters. I have UAPP.
Please help... Lol

Thanks in advance

I haven't come across any USB C to B OTG cables. Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Converts-Technology-Compatible-ChromeBook-black/dp/B01COOQIKU

You'd still need a length of USB A-B cable to provide the correct termination on the DAC side, but most DACs already come with one of those. I think you'd also have to tinker with the V30 to get it to work in the mode that you desire.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #502 of 1,173
I'd have to mess with the phone? I thought that was the main purpose of UAPP; that it allowed for OTG USB output?
Maybe I've been misunderstanding something fundamental in this thread... I thought I've seen it mentioned that UAPP specifically supported use of a Dragonfly, so I assumed that meant that most other OTG reliant DACs would also work.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #503 of 1,173
I'd have to mess with the phone? I thought that was the main purpose of UAPP; that it allowed for OTG USB output?
Maybe I've been misunderstanding something fundamental in this thread... I thought I've seen it mentioned that UAPP specifically supported use of a Dragonfly, so I assumed that meant that most other OTG reliant DACs would also work.

By "tinker" I think @Taz777 just meant setting up UAPP or something like that.

Re your last comment, not every DAC works with the V30 but in my experience only desktop DACs have failed. I haven't heard of a problem with mobile/portable DACs.

Jan 22, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #504 of 1,173
Hey all, in Neutron, should "dither" be applied? I have no idea what it does or if it is good for my music files (which include a range of types, some high res)

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #507 of 1,173
A nice surprise on my V30+ this evening. I prepared for my evening walk and as I plugged my IEMs into the phone, I got a pop up asking me if I wanted Tidal to auto-start every time I plug my headphones in. Of course, I confirmed this suggestion! I guess many of you already know this - it's a Smart Setting option:

Settings --> General --> Smart settings --> 'When earphones are plugged in' --> On --> TIDAL

On another Tidal-related note, Tidal has a widget that can be placed on the home screen but I did not find this very useful so I removed it.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #508 of 1,173
Through the internal DAC, yes. I'm not sure Qobuz outputs correctly via USB unless you use UAPP instead of the official app.

On my LG G7 One, the Qobuz and Tidal apps send USB output via the Android OS where it gets resampled to 48 kHz. UAPP has no such problem.

This can only be fully tested if you have an external DAC that displays the sample rate.

Are you sure this is the case (if I am outputting direct to HP from the V30)? There are others earlier in this thread (admittedly older posts) that state the opposite.

Does Qobuz either;

- do equivalent to the Tidal app (i.e. correctly outputs the Hi-Res material, but upsamples the non Hi-Res material)
- put all material whether Hi-Res or not through the Android DAC and upsample it in some way
- something else...?

Apologies for the probably daft question but I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth my time downloading a load of Hi-Res stuff offline in the Qobuz app if the only way I can get the music to output properly is through streaming via UAPP.... Basically end goal of saving myself mobile data whilst I'm out and about without sacrificing sound quality.... I'm assuming for the non Hi-Res stuff the Qobuz app upsamples same as Tidal, hence would only use UAPP for this material

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #509 of 1,173
Are you sure this is the case (if I am outputting direct to HP from the V30)? There are others earlier in this thread (admittedly older posts) that state the opposite.

Does Qobuz either;

- do equivalent to the Tidal app (i.e. correctly outputs the Hi-Res material, but upsamples the non Hi-Res material)
- put all material whether Hi-Res or not through the Android DAC and upsample it in some way
- something else...?

Apologies for the probably daft question but I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth my time downloading a load of Hi-Res stuff offline in the Qobuz app if the only way I can get the music to output properly is through streaming via UAPP.... Basically end goal of saving myself mobile data whilst I'm out and about without sacrificing sound quality.... I'm assuming for the non Hi-Res stuff the Qobuz app upsamples same as Tidal, hence would only use UAPP for this material

USB:
I tested this using a DAC that shows the sample rate as a number on its display. When the Qobuz app plays via USB to an external DAC, all tracks of any resolution are resampled to 48 kHz. The Tidal app does this as well. The UAPP app bypasses this problem. I use UAPP for both services.

Internal:
When the Qobuz app plays through the internal quad DAC it appears to work correctly at all resolutions, but I have not done extensive listening and I do not have the test setup that @Dannemand used to report here [link] that the Tidal app only does that correctly with MQA while allowing other tracks to get resampled to 48 kHz by the OS. With UAPP you don't have to worry about this either.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #510 of 1,173

Does Qobuz either;

- something else...?

USB:
I tested this using a DAC that shows the sample rate as a number on its display. When the Qobuz app plays via USB to an external DAC, all tracks of any resolution are resampled to 48 kHz. The Tidal app does this as well. The UAPP app bypasses this problem. I use UAPP for both services.

Internal:
When the Qobuz app plays through the internal quad DAC it appears to work correctly at all resolutions, but I have not done extensive listening and I do not have the test setup that @Dannemand used to report here [link] that the Tidal app only does that correctly with MQA while allowing other tracks to get resampled to 48 kHz by the OS. With UAPP you don't have to worry about this either.

Thank you for the ping.

I am happy to test output from the Qobuz app so we can get this verified. But last I tried, they still had not launched in the USA. I understand that is about to happen, or maybe already has. Once I can do a Qobuz trial -- and have an open afternoon -- I'll run the tests and post my results.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back