Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #511 of 1,181
Thank you for the ping.

I am happy to test output from the Qobuz app so we can get this verified. But last I tried, they still had not launched in the USA. I understand that is about to happen, or maybe already has. Once I can do a Qobuz trial -- and have an open afternoon -- I'll run the tests and post my results.

Thanks @Dannemand! They are letting people into the US beta in large batches now. You can sign up here: https://try.qobuz.com/qobuz-us-beta-waiting-list-signup/

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #513 of 1,181
@SteveOliver posted results of some tests he did with the Qobuz app earlier in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mus...s-for-the-lg-v30.868978/page-27#post-14652666

That's the one, thank you! I thought we'd already settled this, yet kept seeing posts about it in various threads.

I guess they could have improved during the last 1-2 months, so I may still do a trial at some point and check it out. If Qobuz should manage to do redbook 16/44 offline properly (i.e. NOT upsampled) that would be big for me. Despite the wonderful pairing of Tidal and MQA with V30, the best recorded albums in my Favorites are often NOT Master/MQA -- and they still sound significantly better than most Master/MQA tracks, even at much lower bitrates. Can't beat a pair of DPA mics in the hands of a skillful recording engineer...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #514 of 1,181
Sigh. Thanks @csglinux. So @cnotts6 that settles it: for full Qobuz goodness you'll need UAPP, unless and until @Dannemand or others find the official Qobuz app has improved. The only things I can think of that UAPP lacks are offline listening, genre focus in the new release listing, and editorial content.

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #516 of 1,181
Hi if anyone could advise me about this that would be great!

In UAPP on my V30+ (7.1 nougat currently) which android sample rate setting should I use?

Device Native or Variable?

Also the setting 'play through android' be off right? Also the hi res flags Direct PCM and MQA should be enabled for MQA playback?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #517 of 1,181
I apologize for again asking a question I'm sure has been answered somewhere but I refuse to lose hope something will change...

There is currently No Way to play non-MQA offline tracks properly from Any streaming service, free or paid? Only through the LG music player which requires us to supply our own library of music?

UAPP is burning through my data at an alarming rate

Jan 27, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #518 of 1,181
I apologize for again asking a question I'm sure has been answered somewhere but I refuse to lose hope something will change...

There is currently No Way to play non-MQA offline tracks properly from Any streaming service, free or paid? Only through the LG music player which requires us to supply our own library of music?

UAPP is burning through my data at an alarming rate

To my knowledge, there is no way to play anything 16/44, online OR offline, without upsampling, except through UAPP or Neutron. Even LG Music will upsample redbook 16/44, although it WILL play HiRes files correctly, including MQA.

As I see it, the choices we have are:

1) Buy the music, either as CDs which can be ripped, or as FLAC downloads: Those can be played correctly by UAPP or Neutron off the phone's internal storage or an SD card.

2) Stick to Master/MQA tracks, which can be downloaded in the Tidal app and played correctly, with full 4x unfolding and rendering performed by the V30's Quad DAC (I suspect they actually use the Snapdragon SoC, at least for the first unfolding, but that's a technicality). Unfortunately the majority of albums and tracks on Tidal are NOT Master/MQA. OTOH, many non-Master/MQA tracks in Tidal have other errors that sound worse than the upsampling.

3) Stream non-Master/MQA Tidal tracks on UAPP to avoid upsampling, with the data usage that entails. I do this on my home WiFi, while for Master/MQA tracks I prefer downloading them in the Tidal app and playing them offline. Of course UAPP can play any Tidal track correctly, including Master/MQA tracks, just not offline. Tidal doesn't allow them to do that.

4) Download and play those non-Master/MQA tracks in the Tidal app and live with the upsampling when not connected to a WiFi (you can still stream them with UAPP when on WiFi). In most cases it is not the complete trashing of sound quality that we sometimes make it out to be. It is mostly audible on very sensitive IEMs, such as ones with Balanced Armature drivers. Depending on the music being played, the type of headphones/IEMs used, and the user's ears, it may not be audible at all. Many "professional" reviews of the V30 raved about its sound quality when playing through the LG Music app, not knowing at the time that it was upsampling and "therefore couldn't be good". But it is no doubt offensive to us as audiophiles, and in some cases it is clearly audible, as reported in this and the main V30 thread.

I wish an ideal solution existed, but unfortunately it doesn't right now.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #519 of 1,181
Yes, sort of.

Screen completey blank and no music playing? No, no control.

Screen completey blank and music playing? Yes you can pause or skip track.

'Always on' display active but screen off? Yes all controls work.

So yes it works 90% but you need to have the always on display enabled from android settings and you need to have lockscreen notifications enabled for your music app (i think).

I did not enable any of those settings shown in your screenshot above. Simply set the buttons up like you want them at the top of the menu under the 'volume up' etc tabs.

As i said above it seems that this works only when the 'always on display' is enabled and active. So you may have to switch that on, and make sure its active by raising the phone.

However if music is playing it seems to work regardless of the screen on or off. But pausing music with your screen off and always on display off must deactivate the music players control. That's the one caveat. I think that the media notification becomes disabled if the screen is off and nothing is playing thus you have no way to control it.

Thanks to you I have it almost working apart from one annoyance.
When I do single tap volume up or down it jumps by 5 rather than incrementimg by 1.
Is that what you have too ?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #520 of 1,181
Thanks to you I have it almost working apart from one annoyance.
When I do single tap volume up or down it jumps by 5 rather than incrementimg by 1.
Is that what you have too ?
Sadly that's the drawback, i think I mentioned it in my comment above somewhere.

You must use the 5 step volume control because the app thinks it's controling a normal android volume (which i think has only 10 or 20 steps of volume conpared to 75 or 100 for the V30).

I asked the dev if he could add a workaround for lg v series, but he said it may not be possible within android limitations.

Personally i just got used to 5 step again, i also set the volume buttons to vibrate when screen is off for easier adjustment so i dont accidentally turn it up too loud.

I wish it was 1-2 step instead, but i think having the option to control the playback is worth it overall.

It's so nice to be able to pause or skip from my pocket (even if it does require you to lift the phone out of your pocket to play again).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #521 of 1,181
Sadly that's the drawback, i think I mentioned it in my comment above somewhere.

You must use the 5 step volume control because the app thinks it's controling a normal android volume (which i think has only 10 or 20 steps of volume conpared to 75 or 100 for the V30).

I asked the dev if he could add a workaround for lg v series, but he said it may not be possible within android limitations.

Personally i just got used to 5 step again, i also set the volume buttons to vibrate when screen is off for easier adjustment so i dont accidentally turn it up too loud.

I wish it was 1-2 step instead, but i think having the option to control the playback is worth it overall.

It's so nice to be able to pause or skip from my pocket (even if it does require you to lift the phone out of your pocket to play again).

That’s a shame but yes still worth having.
Would headphone profiles be useful to you ?
I came across another useful app discussed here

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v30.858933/page-328#post-14755906

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #522 of 1,181
That’s a shame but yes still worth having.
Would headphone profiles be useful to you ?
I came across another useful app discussed here

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v30.858933/page-328#post-14755906
I thought about this issue before, I don't have a rooted v30 so I cannot 'force HIM' and i dont use IEMS (use earbuds instead) so i think I'm ok for now. But should the need arise I'll definitely try this!

Does the profile selector pop up every time you activate the headphone jack? If so I can see it being a handy solution, but if you have to go searching for a profile manually I think I'd end up forgetting sometimes.

I've been using a slightly different approach to counter accidental HIM trigggered on sensitive gear. I use this app called 'HI-FI status LG' which I paid €1 for I believe. Every time I plug in my gear a status message pops up at the bottom stating wheather its a normal or high impedance device, and whether it has a mic.

This way i can be assured im not in HIM instantly and gives me peace of mind.

I like your approach and id use uf if I ever root my device to force HIM. But currently I havent found the need to force HIM for my gear.

Thanks though man!

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #523 of 1,181
I thought about this issue before, I don't have a rooted v30 so I cannot 'force HIM' and i dont use IEMS (use earbuds instead) so i think I'm ok for now. But should the need arise I'll definitely try this!

Does the profile selector pop up every time you activate the headphone jack? If so I can see it being a handy solution, but if you have to go searching for a profile manually I think I'd end up forgetting sometimes.

I've been using a slightly different approach to counter accidental HIM trigggered on sensitive gear. I use this app called 'HI-FI status LG' which I paid €1 for I believe. Every time I plug in my gear a status message pops up at the bottom stating wheather its a normal or high impedance device, and whether it has a mic.

This way i can be assured im not in HIM instantly and gives me peace of mind.

I like your approach and id use uf if I ever root my device to force HIM. But currently I havent found the need to force HIM for my gear.

Thanks though man!

After upgrading to the pro you get an auto pop up as soon as you plug-in your headphones.
I just don’t like idea of carrying any extra dongles etc so I rooted. It’s one reason why I don’t choose to use the iPhone Xs max as a dap even though I slightly prefer its audio output.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #524 of 1,181
After upgrading to the pro you get an auto pop up as soon as you plug-in your headphones.
I just don’t like idea of carrying any extra dongles etc so I rooted. It’s one reason why I don’t choose to use the iPhone Xs max as a dap even though I slightly prefer its audio output.
I'd definitely use the pro option then, it would be tedious otherwise. Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back