Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30, V35, V40, V50 & V60
Feb 3, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #526 of 1,181
That's why I use uuap for music it does volume at 1 step at a time
I believe since android 7.1 the android volume slider also does 1 step volume, but that changes if you use the app I mentioned.

Maybe a combo of using the app and setting volume to use UAPP software volume control might work for those who use it. Thanks I'll try that out!

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #527 of 1,181
That's why I use uuap for music it does volume at 1 step at a time

We are aware of that.
Does it allow you to change tracks or play/pause using volume buttons and change volume 1step ?

That’s the solution we are after.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #529 of 1,181
In settings you can pick to set volume buttons as next/ previous track
I would do that but i also use it for youtube playback, podcasts and spotify. So the app im using is a life saver atm!

But yeah uapp has great options.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #530 of 1,181
Tip For Rooted V30 Owners - Headphone Profiles

So after much searching I have come across a solution that helps to set volume limits according to the what I plug into the jack.

The need came about because after having Rooted the V30 I decided to toggle it permanently to HIM mode. This meant my very sensitive DM6 earphones could reach extreme loudness at only 30 volume setting whereas my X2 headphones could go high as 65.

My concern was the danger posed by going from a session of X2 at 50+ Volume loudness to using DM6. Forgetting to lower the volume could possibly blow my ears and possibly the earphones as well. I wanted to limit the maximum volume that the earphones could go to so even if my kids or someone else picked them up it would not go too loud accidentally.

As well as asking around including on XDA forum for a solution i tested out a few apps to see if they could help. Bad news is no one on the forums could understand why I wanted such a solution but the good news is I found an app that does it.
It’s not perfect but after fiddling around with it for a while it seems to be doing its job. Needs more work.

The app is called “Precise Volume” and allows you to create profiles which are activated when you insert a headphone jack. A screen pop up asks you to select the desired headphones and than the relevant profile is loaded.

Using this app I have created different profiles for my earphones and set default values for start up volume and maximum volume limit. Eg when I plug in the DM6 and select its profile, it sets starting volume to 16 and allows me to increase it to a maximum of 30. When I select X2 it switches to its own profile parameters.
To make the App even better value it has built in Equaliser that works great with Spotify, Deezer etc

I hope this is of help to others.

App Download

@csglinux ready to link.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #531 of 1,181
In settings you can pick to set volume buttons as next/ previous track

I think i had trouble getting that working when i first tried quite a while back and assumed it didn't work with LG V30. Can you please provide a screenshot of your settings to get that working ?

Currently the Button Mapper app is still more helpful as it also allows programming of third option of long hold which i assign to as Pause/Play. And all mapped buttons can be used with screen off/on.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #532 of 1,181
Just read up on the UAPP thread, which has several pages of discussion about the new version. AND there is already an update to 5.02 on Play Store containing a few fixes.

In that discussion @Davy Wentzler points out how the new MQA decoder in UAPP is still "just" a first level decoder, unfolding 44.1KHz to 88.2KHz. That's all MQA/Stuart/Meridian would allow (as I understood). Since we have a full hardware MQA renderer in our V30, we enjoy 2nd level unfolding to 176.4KHz (as shown on the Now Playing screen in UAPP.)

That was already true with previous UAPP versions, but this new decoder (as impressive and unique as it is for a player app) kind of drives it home, and makes me appreciate my V30 even more.

Of course whether those Tidal Master tracks really come from 176KHz masters is another matter... :unamused:
Have a v30 and UAPP (which I also - probably needlessly - paid for the new MQA upgrade) and listen from Tidal... is there a track, of any genre, that I can use to see if I am getting anything above 88KHz/96KHz?

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #533 of 1,181
Have a v30 and UAPP (which I also - probably needlessly - paid for the new MQA upgrade) and listen from Tidal... is there a track, of any genre, that I can use to see if I am getting anything above 88KHz/96KHz?

Try The Eagles track assuming you are subscribed to the correct Tidal sub.

Don’t forget you have the benefit of excellent sound for your local files from UAPP.

4DD1EA4A-ED73-4813-88D8-3EE736A05750.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #534 of 1,181

Archy beat me to it, but here are a few excellent MQA recordings on Tidal:

Copland: Symphony No. 3 (Transferred from the Original Everest Records Master Tapes)
Screenshot_2019-02-10-14-14-46.png

2L The Nordic Sound
Screenshot_2019-02-10-14-15-58.png

Notice that the latter is actually a 352kHz file, but UAPP reports it as playing in 176kHz. According to @Davy Wentzler (the UAPP dev) that "Direct" number is merely a guess when playing MQA files on V30, since there is no way for the app to know the result when the file (or stream) is fully unfolded by the DAC hardware. That's different from UAPP's own decoding, where of course the app knows the outcome.

Make sure the MQA flag is set under UAPP Settings -> Internal HiRes audio -> HiRes driver flags. According to recent recommendations from Davy, ONLY the MQA flag should be set on V30, no other flags in that menu.

And finally, if you bought the UAPP MQA decoder by mistake, and have no other use for it, I would suspect you can get a refund. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #535 of 1,181
Archy beat me to it, but here are a few excellent MQA recordings on Tidal:

Copland: Symphony No. 3 (Transferred from the Original Everest Records Master Tapes)

2L The Nordic Sound

Notice that the latter is actually a 352kHz file, but UAPP reports it as playing in 176kHz. According to @Davy Wentzler (the UAPP dev) that "Direct" number is merely a guess when playing MQA files on V30, since there is no way for the app to know the result when the file (or stream) is fully unfolded by the DAC hardware. That's different from UAPP's own decoding, where of course the app knows the outcome.

Make sure the MQA flag is set under UAPP Settings -> Internal HiRes audio -> HiRes driver flags. According to recent recommendations from Davy, ONLY the MQA flag should be set on V30, no other flags in that menu.

And finally, if you bought the UAPP MQA decoder by mistake, and have no other use for it, I would suspect you can get a refund. Doesn't hurt to ask.

352Khz ! And I thought MQA topped off at 192.
That’s equal to DSD64 right ?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #536 of 1,181
352Khz ! And I thought MQA topped of at 192.

I know. I was surprised when I saw that too. 2L shared a bunch of the recordings on their on their website in various resolutions and formats, up to full DXD res MQA (352kHz) and DSD256. Some of them are quite excellent recordings (e.g. Frode Fjellheim: Kyrie and Mozart: Violin concerto in D major) others are merely average.

Unfortunately some of the best albums on Tidal as far as recording and audio quality are not available as Master/MQA. Such as the following:

Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat (e.g. track #2 - voice texture)
Doug MacLeod, There's a Time (e.g. track #2 - guitar)
Dick Hyman Plays Duke Ellington (piano)
Austin Wintory, The Banner Saga (e.g. track #2 - sub-base, brass)
Lorin Maazel, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra: Sibelius: Complete Symphonies (orchestra)
Eijo Oue, Minnesota Orchestra, Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man etc (base drum, orchestra)
Reference Recordings, 30th Anniversary Sampler (wind, orchestral, organ - not all my style, but good recordings)

These were all made with focus on natural, precise recording, no studio effects, minimal (or no) dynamic range compression etc. Most were made with DPA microphones (in fact, I think all of these).

Among Master/MQA albums the following is one of my favorites. It doesn't have quite that DPA magic, but is very natural and engaging -- and the performance is just superb (to my taste):

Simon Rattle, Berliner Philharmoniker: Brahms: The Symphonies (e.g. track #10 - woodwinds)

Other good Master/MQA albums are these old (1958-59) recordings with Copland himself directing the London Symphony:

Copland, London Symphony Orchestra: Copland Symphony No. 3 (Transferred from the Original Everest Records Master Tapes)
Copland, London Symphony Orchestra: Copland Appalachian Spring & Gould: Spirituals for String Choir and Orchestra

Sorry guys, I could go on. It's music!

Edit:
That’s equal to DSD64 right ?

I'm not sure, not an expert on DSD. Only test I've done are those from the 2L website linked above.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #537 of 1,181
I know. I was surprised when I saw that too. 2L shared a bunch of the recordings on their on their website in various resolutions and formats, up to full DXD res MQA (352kHz) and DSD256. Some of them are quite excellent recordings (e.g. Frode Fjellheim: Kyrie and Mozart: Violin concerto in D major) others are merely average.

Unfortunately some of the best albums on Tidal as far as recording and audio quality are not available as Master/MQA. Such as the following:

Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat (e.g. track #2 - voice texture)
Doug MacLeod, There's a Time (e.g. track #2 - guitar)
Austin Wintory, The Banner Saga (e.g. track #2 - sub-base, brass)
Lorin Maazel, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Sibelius: Complete Symphonies (orchestra)
Minnesota Orchestra, Minnesota Orchestra, Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man etc (base drum, orchestra)

These were all made with focus on natural, precise recording, no studio effects, minimal (or no) dynamic range compression etc. Most were made with DPA microphones (in fact, I think all of these).

Among Master/MQA albums the following is one of my favorites. It doesn't have quite that DPA magic, but is very natural and engaging -- and the performance is just superb (to my taste):

Simon Rattle, Berliner Philharmoniker, Brahms: The Symphonies (e.g. track #10 - woodwinds)

Sorry guys, I could go on. It's music!

Since I have bought the DM6 earphones I think I have never done so much listening in such a short space of time. Paired with the V30 and Tidal I’m lost in time.

Your recommended quality recordings are a great welcome to me. I can’t get enough atm haha.

Going to create a playlist and add them in.
Cheers

Feb 10, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #538 of 1,181
Since I have bought the DM6 earphones I think I have never done so much listening in such a short space of time. Paired with the V30 and Tidal I’m lost in time.

Your recommended quality recordings are a great welcome to me. I can’t get enough atm haha.

Me too, I have been doing more listening since I got my V30 than in the last 15+ years (when I last had a decent audio system, left behind when I moved to USA).

And careful, don't encourage me, as I say I can keep going with recommendations :dt880smile:

In fact, there is one in particular I forgot, which I am going to add to my list above: Dick Hyman Plays Duke Ellington. Pretty much anything on the Reference Recordings label (recording by Keith Johnson) is going to sound great, even in humble 16/44. I wish we could get them in Master/MQA.

You could also try googling site:tidal.com "Steven Epstein" I haven't tried if it works, but he's is another producer who consistently makes excellent recordings.

Feb 10, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #539 of 1,181
Me too, I have been doing more listening since I got my V30 than in the last 15+ years (when I last had a decent audio system, left behind when I moved to USA).

And careful, don't encourage me, as I say I can keep going with recommendations :dt880smile:

In fact, there is one in particular I forgot, which I am going to add to my list above: Dick Hyman Plays Duke Ellington. Pretty much anything on the Reference Recordings label (recording by Keith Johnson) is going to sound great, even in humble 16/44. I wish we could get them in Master/MQA.

You could also try googling site:tidal.com "Steven Epstein" I haven't tried if it works, but he's is another producer who consistently makes excellent recordings.

Seems you mainly listen to classical genre.
What headphones are you using ?

Feb 10, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #540 of 1,181
Seems you mainly listen to classical genre.
What headphones are you using ?

Yes, I do almost entirely listen to classical. Mostly 20th and late 19th Century (Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Rochberg, Bartok, Sibelius, Ravel, Nielsen, Mahler, Brahms). My earlier recommendations are not so much representative of the music I prefer, they were picked for recording excellence.

I am a poor schmuck, so I don't talk much about my equipment... Most of my listening is on these: Stage Right by Monoprice Multimedia Studio Reference Monitor Headphones 53mm (Closed-back) paired with this cable.

The headphones are incredible, almost unbelievable -- for the price, that is. Surprisingly resolving, bit warm, otherwise very flat and neutral. But obviously no match compared to the gear of most people here :pensive:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back