MuppetFace's TakeT H2+ Thread
Mar 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #61 of 76
Does anyone know what the TR2 is? Is a big transformer box that serves as a voltage multiplier? Just wondering, because at that asking price, I'd rather get some custom made Electra-Prints...

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #63 of 76
Just found the threads and read up on it. I guess I can power it from it primaries of a tube amp transformer - put in cap in between and a couple of resistors - basically an OTL.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #64 of 76
The Taket website has a link to a tube amp kit you can modify to do away with the transformer box.

Elekit make the amp.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #66 of 76
Hey there purrin.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on the H2+ measurements. I've been going through the motions of deciding what in my collection to sell and dealing with local buyers, so I'll probably drop you a line in the coming weeks once things are less hectic if you're still interested.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #67 of 76
No problem. I just got shipped headphones from three different people at the same time, so I'm "clearing" them out and need to post measurements.

I have this crazy idea of buying the TakeT's and having Frank Cooter build one of his monster tube amps for the summer meet. I know Frank always like to show off unique stuff. Anax and I will have to make a good argument to try to get him to bring the radioactive glowie blue mercury vapor rectifiers this time around even though he swore we would never bring them to public events again.

I'll got some stuff to send you too.

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #68 of 76
So whats the final decision on these? The new STAX? worse than stax? comparing to LCd-2s? What was the total cost with that transformer and is the transformer needed?

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #69 of 76
With the TR2 transformer and the H2+ combined the cost is just over $3000 USD in today's exchange rate.

Whether or not you need the TR2 is a bit less cut-and-dry. The H2+ has very exacting requirements to run at its peak, so most headphone amps aren't going to be sufficiently powerful. Using the TR2 in combination with a speaker amp, you can approximate those requirements, but the H2+ still isn't at its full potential. The best solution would be to build or modify an amp to specifically run the H2+, and there are instructions for this on the TakeT website. In theory the H2+ should perform to a much higher standard when paired with an amp such as this. Few people have attempted it as of yet however. A few head-fiers have experimented with running the H2+ from a Stax amp and have reported decent results, at times better than with the TR2 adapter. Doing this is potentially risky however as it could cause damage to the headphones.

As for comparisons to other headphones, there's never going to be a definitive answer to whether the H2+ is better than Stax or Audez'e flagships. It's a matter of subjective preference, and ultimately each has a set of positive and negative qualities, each excelling in some areas and falling short in others. I was planning on writing up some comparisons between the H2+, LCD-3, and SR-009 a while ago. Since then I've been a bit preoccupied with other priorities, so those impressions have taken a back seat for now. I still plan on writing about it (along with the BPP super tweeter) when I get a chance.

In short, if I were to describe what I personally feel to be the strengths of each technology, I'd say:

-Electrostatic headphones are able to achieve a staggering level of detail while sounding effortless and tonally natural.
-Orthodynamic headphones are able to convey full-bodied weight, impact, and a lush timbre in a very convincing way and with tremendous speed.
-Heil-type piezoelectric has an almost tangible sense of presence, renders with life-like texture, and is exceptionally holographic.

Those are merely the qualities that stand out the most for me personally. They're also not mutually exclusive; when I only mention detail under 'stats for instance, that's not to say the other two lack detail, but that I tend to feel 'stats excel the most of the three in this regard. In all three cases it's an oversimplification, certainly. I think any time you're comparing an entire class of headphones to another---ie. one technology to another---it's a complicated endeavor and for brevity's sake necessitates oversimplification at times.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #70 of 76
A few head-fiers have experimented with running the H2+ from a Stax amp and have reported decent results, at times better than with the TR2 adapter.
     Sorry if these questions have been asked  , just join the thread
     Can we use the BHSE or DIY T2 to drive the taket H2?   I think the BHSE or T2 or even the Aristaeus can do the 1500V voltage swing
     Is the termination of the taket H2 cable the same as Stax SR009 or O2 mkI?
     What is the sound quality comparing to the SR009 or O2mkI?  is its bass better?

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #71 of 76

Quote:
A few head-fiers have experimented with running the H2+ from a Stax amp and have reported decent results, at times better than with the TR2 adapter.
     Can we use the BHSE or DIY T2 to drive the taket H2?   I think the BHSE or T2 or even the Aristaeus can do the 1500V voltage swing

Some interesting threads on the subject:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/245385/driving-the-taket-h2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/326381/driving-taket-and-k1000-with-kgss-possible

I think it's certainly possible, but the safety of doing so is still a bit unclear. Also the H2+ uses an XLR termination and not Stax, so you'd need an adapter to do it. I'm just not willing to risk trying it personally, at least not at the moment.

Personally I find the TakeT H2+ to be comparable to the SR-007mk1 in terms of performance. It's quite different though in its characteristics. For one thing, there is definitely a tremendous bass emphasis. The rest of the sonic spectrum is pretty linear, but the bass is monstrous. I personally love it, and no other headphone comes close to satisfying my bass cravings like the H2+ can. It's more like a speaker's bass in my opinion (without the physical bodily impact) than other headphones. Also the sound of the H2+ has a very distinct tactile quality, a certain richness of texture and presence that I find immensely enjoyable. The SR-007 on the other hand is a bit more transparent and tonally balanced overall.

The SR-009 is still king when it comes to transparency and detail IMHO.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #72 of 76
Thank you for the reply. I have heard/owned Dynamic headphones and Orthos. I have some Electrostatics that I'm super excited to try out on the way.

Quote:
With the TR2 transformer and the H2+ combined the cost is just over $3000 USD in today's exchange rate.

Whether or not you need the TR2 is a bit less cut-and-dry. The H2+ has very exacting requirements to run at its peak, so most headphone amps aren't going to be sufficiently powerful. Using the TR2 in combination with a speaker amp, you can approximate those requirements, but the H2+ still isn't at its full potential. The best solution would be to build or modify an amp to specifically run the H2+, and there are instructions for this on the TakeT website. In theory the H2+ should perform to a much higher standard when paired with an amp such as this. Few people have attempted it as of yet however. A few head-fiers have experimented with running the H2+ from a Stax amp and have reported decent results, at times better than with the TR2 adapter. Doing this is potentially risky however as it could cause damage to the headphones.

As for comparisons to other headphones, there's never going to be a definitive answer to whether the H2+ is better than Stax or Audez'e flagships. It's a matter of subjective preference, and ultimately each has a set of positive and negative qualities, each excelling in some areas and falling short in others. I was planning on writing up some comparisons between the H2+, LCD-3, and SR-009 a while ago. Since then I've been a bit preoccupied with other priorities, so those impressions have taken a back seat for now. I still plan on writing about it (along with the BPP super tweeter) when I get a chance.

In short, if I were to describe what I personally feel to be the strengths of each technology, I'd say:

-Electrostatic headphones are able to achieve a staggering level of detail while sounding effortless and tonally natural.
-Orthodynamic headphones are able to convey full-bodied weight, impact, and a lush timbre in a very convincing way and with tremendous speed.
-Heil-type piezoelectric has an almost tangible sense of presence, renders with life-like texture, and is exceptionally holographic.

Those are merely the qualities that stand out the most for me personally. They're also not mutually exclusive; when I only mention detail under 'stats for instance, that's not to say the other two lack detail, but that I tend to feel 'stats excel the most of the three in this regard. In all three cases it's an oversimplification, certainly. I think any time you're comparing an entire class of headphones to another---ie. one technology to another---it's a complicated endeavor and for brevity's sake necessitates oversimplification at times.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #73 of 76
Dec 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #74 of 76
Quote:

TakeT H2+ has 5 kOhm impedance, typical Stax 130-150 kOhm, so here is a huge difference of current consumption - TakeT H2+ headphones are like a short-circuit to electrostatic amplifier, and can damage it easily.
TakeT H2+ requires up to 150 V (300 Vp-p), so top current is about 30 mA and is much more than 5 mA - 10 mA A-class bias current and only little higher current reserve of typical electrostatic amplifier - some stronger amps or with current driving output may survive this, but have tendency to overheating with too low impedance "ballast".

In my opinion TakeT H2+ might be driven by very high power loudspeaker amplifier (with high voltage supply, something like +/- 90 V, 600 W per 8 Ohm) or strong tube power amp without use of output transformer.
I'm going to build some dedicated solid state balanced/bridged amplifier for TakeT H2+ and then buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back