[Multi-Review] Hifiman HM901, Fiio X5, Sony ZX1, Hisound Studio 3rd Anv, iPhone 4
Mar 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #106 of 324
From the Bayou Man:

"I hear the Studio V as having ever so slightly emphasized treble, which lifts the sound in a nice way. Certain details are more emphasized over the iP4 and HM-901, but SLIGHTLY is the key word here...all these details are still very present in the other players. The Studio is a tiny bit more holographic than the iP4 due to its slightly more spacious and separated sound. The bass line in the Studio was also surprisingly solid, keeping up with the iP4. I didn't expect that. I couldn't find anything that the iP4 necessarily did better than the Studio, as the differences held up in my other test tracks."

Other than my "on-hand" 6-12" fishing rod
wink_face.gif
, I can't claim to play a music instrument(much less 5!!) , however:

While I agree that the Studio V 3rd Anniv(slightly warmer than the Studio V) has a very slight emphasized treble over the iphone4s, my interpretation of the iphone 4s compared to the 3rd Anniv is that its more V-shaped while the 3rd Anniv is more analytical and flatter in response. The holigraphic, spacious and separated sound of the 3rd Anniv is also seems more dynamic in range and placement.  I found the bass to be  slightly exaggerated on the iphone which reminds me a V shape too.

Listening to Alison Krause, her voice seems much warmer/slightly compressed  on the iphone while the 3rd Anniv,  sounds clearer and dryer/analytical on the 3rd Anniv.     I have my Tralucent T1  to warm up the analytical, dry 3rd Anniv(they are velcroed together).  I still get the flat, analytical sound of the 3rd Anniv, but its warmed up.

I would say for a critical listener, there is a bigggg difference between the iphone 4s and the 3rd Anniv.   After having the Studio V, I did find the Studio V 3rd Anniv more warm, but still needs my T1 for the warmth I like.   I'm hoping the X5 will take the place of my combo.  

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #107 of 324
  From the Bayou Man:

"I hear the Studio V as having ever so slightly emphasized treble, which lifts the sound in a nice way. Certain details are more emphasized over the iP4 and HM-901, but SLIGHTLY is the key word here...all these details are still very present in the other players. The Studio is a tiny bit more holographic than the iP4 due to its slightly more spacious and separated sound. The bass line in the Studio was also surprisingly solid, keeping up with the iP4. I didn't expect that. I couldn't find anything that the iP4 necessarily did better than the Studio, as the differences held up in my other test tracks."

Other than my "on-hand" 6-12" fishing rod
wink_face.gif
, I can't claim to play a music instrument(much less 5!!) , however:

While I agree that the Studio V 3rd Anniv(slightly warmer than the Studio V) has a very slight emphasized treble over the iphone4s, my interpretation of the iphone 4s compared to the 3rd Anniv is that its more V-shaped while the 3rd Anniv is more analytical and flatter in response. The holigraphic, spacious and separated sound of the 3rd Anniv is also seems more dynamic in range and placement.  I found the bass to be  slightly exaggerated on the iphone which reminds me a V shape too.

Listening to Alison Krause, her voice seems much warmer/slightly compressed  on the iphone while the 3rd Anniv,  sounds clearer and dryer/analytical on the 3rd Anniv.     I have my Tralucent T1  to warm up the analytical, dry 3rd Anniv(they are velcroed together).  I still get the flat, analytical sound of the 3rd Anniv, but its warmed up.

I would say for a critical listener, there is a bigggg difference between the iphone 4s and the 3rd Anniv.   After having the Studio V, I did find the Studio V 3rd Anniv more warm, but still needs my T1 for the warmth I like.   I'm hoping the X5 will take the place of my combo.  

Check your volume, bearman. Turn the iphone up slightly.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #108 of 324
Ok, turned up the iphone and it matched 11 on the 3rd anniv, much more equal.  Yes, do hear slight brightness/dryness of the Hsound, yet still slight V by louder bass with the iphone.   But much more closer in their differences like you mentioned.   Apple really did a nice job on the 4s.   If only it had an SD slot!!  ....now let me get back to my music lesson
biggrin.gif
!

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #109 of 324
  Ok, turned up the iphone and it matched 11 on the 3rd anniv, much more equal.  Yes, do hear slight brightness/dryness of the Hsound, yet still slight V by louder bass with the iphone.   But much more closer in their differences like you mentioned.   Apple really did a nice job on the 4s.   If only it had an SD slot!!  ....now let me get back to my music lesson
biggrin.gif
!

Told ya so!

Volume = increased dynamics. That's why most people think certain gear is superior to another when they test side by side. Some days when listening to music I wonder why it doesn't sound as "alive" as it did on previous occasions...then I realize I'm listening at a lower volume.

Many an audiophile has spent thousands because they didn't bother to volume match for comparisons.

If the iphone had an SD slot...well a guy can dream, right?

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #110 of 324

Told ya so!

Volume = increased dynamics. That's why most people think certain gear is superior to another when they test side by side. Some days when listening to music I wonder why it doesn't sound as "alive" as it did on previous occasions...then I realize I'm listening at a lower volume.

Many an audiophile has spent thousands because they didn't bother to volume match for comparisons.

If the iphone had an SD slot...well a guy can dream, right?

Wonder if anyone with a touch can chime in, is there a recent touch that has the same chip or whatever as the 4s??

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #111 of 324
  Wonder if anyone with a touch can chime in, is there a recent touch that has the same chip or whatever as the 4s??

The consensus is that the latest iTouch has the best overall specs and sound.

Plus you have the advantage of using iTunes to automatically add album art to your tracks. Little know fact: you can drag and drop your itunes library to an external SD. Just highlight all the tracks within itunes, copy, then paste in your desired folder.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #112 of 324
I finally found an amateur photographer who got a shot of the representative from Apple and Eke(whom Eke met with last month.)  As you can see, Eke finally got dressed in a sharp looking coat and tie.   Both men(apey at best) wore shades to be more discreet.  
According to the Chicago Tribune, he "was given 2 million by Apple to write this multi-player review on Headfi"    My other sources say that the Association of Boutique Players and Association of Headfi True Audiophiles will be filing suit against him at the Federal courthouse in New Orleans early this week.  Stay tuned, the Final Four is nothing compared to these Four!!
beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #113 of 324
  I finally found an amateur photographer who got a shot of the representative from Apple and Eke(whom Eke met with last month.)  As you can see, Eke finally got dressed in a sharp looking coat and tie.   Both men(apey at best) wore shades to be more discreet.  
According to the Chicago Tribune, he "was given 2 million by Apple to write this multi-player review on Headfi"    My other sources say that the Association of Boutique Players and Association of Headfi True Audiophiles will be filing suit against him at the Federal courthouse in New Orleans early this week.  Stay tuned, the Final Four is nothing compared to these Four!!
beerchug.gif

If I got paid $2m, why am I still in debt for student loans? 
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #114 of 324
If I got paid $2m, why am I still in debt for student loans? :wink:

its okay to admit that you wasted it all on
cheeseburgers and hookers

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #116 of 324

All I got for the money was a pretzel, a large popcorn, and a large drink at the movie theaters.

If you're not going to eat the whole pretzel, I mean do you still have it or least part of it? You may be able to trade it in for a Bitcoin future investment in a Pono player (could be true!)... I just want a bite of the pretzel and the hookers.. I don't really need since I already have a iPod Touch xx generation and this secures, very near, free access to pretty women... It is just something that I have read on this site..  I could be very much wrong so I'm waiting/anticipating..something that will blow my mind.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #117 of 324

If you're not going to eat the whole pretzel, I mean do you still have it or least part of it? You may be able to trade it in for a Bitcoin future investment in a Pono player (could be true!)... I just want a bite of the pretzel and the hookers.. I don't really need since I already have a iPod Touch xx generation and this secures, very near, free access to pretty women... It is just something that I have read on this site..  I could be very much wrong so I'm waiting/anticipating..something that will blow my mind.

xD

True true, so what was the name of your dancer, I mean the movie you saw *wink* 

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #118 of 324
  ...and sadly the hm801 for my tastes, floors the X5... in every way [in terms of sound] 

I was hoping to sell my hm 801, which is about 3 years old now and could die any day now...

I've also own the HM801 (balanced mode) for 4 years... and it sounds quite better than my iphone 4, the few desktop DAC I've come across, and the HM700-RE400 pairing (working on a quick review soon to appear on Head-fi)

In regard to your concern that your HM801 may be at the end of its life, know that Hifiman will replace it as long as supplies last and you buy their $99 one year extended warranty currently available from Head Direct. I just went through that last week (Hifiman customer service has always been absolutely awesome in my experience ; )

This being said, I haven't heard any of the DAP reviewed in this thread except for the iphone 4, which I find surprisingly good sounding too (especially when playing .flac files with the buggy Accudio Pro app)...

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #119 of 324
I'm inclined to think now that the lower end of the DAP market is most suited to people who either don't own Apple products, have an iPhone but want a separate music player, want to play high-res files on the go, want a player that takes micro-SD cards, or simply don't want something that is made by Apple. They have done such a good job improving the SQ of iDevices over the years that my own experiences have fairly matched what has been discussed here, the only difference between the less expensive players, other than functionality is a slightly different tuning.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #120 of 324
  I'm inclined to think now that the lower end of the DAP market is most suited to people who either don't own Apple products, have an iPhone but want a separate music player, want to play high-res files on the go, want a player that takes micro-SD cards, or simply don't want something that is made by Apple. They have done such a good job improving the SQ of iDevices over the years that my own experiences have fairly matched what has been discussed here, the only difference between the less expensive players, other than functionality is a slightly different tuning.

what dap's would you consider to be in the lower end of the market?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back