[Multi-Review] Hifiman HM901, Fiio X5, Sony ZX1, Hisound Studio 3rd Anv, iPhone 4
Apr 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #196 of 324
  Must be- to me the AS-2 was completely uninvolving. My most disappointing ciem ever, despite high expectations from the hybrid design. I managed to listen them for about a week, and after I discovered that I couldn't sell them as they can't be reshelled, the only use I've had for them is to provide a spare cable for my merlins.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #198 of 324
  Me too. Excuse my ignorance but I'm not familiar with the desktop source equipment you used for your comparison. 

For the DAP comparison? I wouldn't need desktop gear...

I'm also curious about what you mean by "uninvolving".

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #200 of 324
  No-in the iem comparison you mention a sabre dac and FPE desktop amp if I read it correctly

Oh, those are long gone, and were used only for the main review in the OP. The FPE amp was custom commissioned. The DAC was a loaner Resonance Labs DAC. I always get the names confused.

I'm still intrigued by your uninvolving critique though.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #201 of 324
I'm not sure either as I do like hybrids. Maybe a combination of synergy, fit issues (not that they didn't fit but that they don't go nearly as far into the ear canal as my um's do) and personal sound sig preferences. I'm not saying that they're bad iem's just not for me, so perhaps it's unfair of me to say they don't scale up-just that I'd dislike them as much out of an iPod as I would out of a top of the range portable setup. I did try them with a DX100 plus ALO MK 3 (one of the best I've ever owned) and they still did nothing for me.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #202 of 324
I also should have mentioned that although I've defended high end daps here, I don't think they make nearly as much difference as a good pair of iem's does. I did own a tera player and tried it with Altman's recommended porta pros and I'd rather have my Merlins and an iPod any day.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #203 of 324
  I'm not sure either as I do like hybrids. Maybe a combination of synergy, fit issues (not that they didn't fit but that they don't go nearly as far into the ear canal as my um's do) and personal sound sig preferences. I'm not saying that they're bad iem's just not for me, so perhaps it's unfair of me to say they don't scale up-just that I'd dislike them as much out of an iPod as I would out of a top of the range portable setup. I did try them with a DX100 plus ALO MK 3 (one of the best I've ever owned) and they still did nothing for me.

Gotcha. Though, it should be worth noting that every hybrid does not have the same tuning. Perhaps the sound signature just doesn't appeal to you.

Reading between the lines, I wonder if you define "scaling up" as a change in signature. Like saying adding a more "upscale" DAC will "open up the treble more", when it is just the DAC having a brighter tone.

I also should have mentioned that although I've defended high end daps here, I don't think they make nearly as much difference as a good pair of iem's does. I did own a tera player and tried it with Altman's recommended porta pros and I'd rather have my Merlins and an iPod any day.

Honestly, the conclusion I've come to is that when all other variables are held fairly equal (volume, files, expectations, and things like output impedance, distortion, etc.), the difference between so called basic and TOTL DAPs can be measured with within a millimeter...not the yards that headphones differ by.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #204 of 324
Agree completely with the second part. I've been following impressions of the AK240 and it does seem that unless you have very good recordings, headphones etc.. and listen in ideal circumstances with full concentration it's not going to make a huge difference. Classic law of diminishing returns I suppose. I do agree that headphones do differ by yards in contrast. 
Not sure about your earlier comments relating to a change in signature only. I think a good Dap can reveal more detail, improve soundstage, texture etc.. as well as changing signature. For me extra amp power also does make a difference. But as you say the differences are in mm not yards.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #205 of 324
What an awesome review. I still love that Sony, so damn sexy. Just not sure if it's worth $700+ for looks, and Android awesomeness. Right now, it is still on my list, with ipod 5g, and still checking other units such as AK and Ibasso.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #206 of 324
What an awesome review. I still love that Sony, so damn sexy. Just not sure if it's worth $700+ for looks, and Android awesomeness. Right now, it is still on my list, with ipod 5g, and still checking other units such as AK and Ibasso.

Yep, it's definitely an experience. I feel crazy for saying this, but $700 is quite the deal when you consider its feature set and price compared to other DAPs on the market. I think it's a much better device than the likes of the HM901 if you're only driving IEMs. Even then, you could add a small amp and still be around the same size ballpark of the HM901, but with a UI that's light years more advanced.

I'm not sure, but I think Sony has "lower end" devices that only differ in the amp section. Word on the street is that they sound exactly alike.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #207 of 324
I pulled the trigger. Couldn't resist, it's just too damn sexy. Now... the real issue, hiding it from my Fiancé... Lol. she gonna kill me.

I only have IEMS, however, I also have an RSA Intruder. Should be a nice stack for me.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #208 of 324
I pulled the trigger. Couldn't resist, it's just too damn sexy. Now... the real issue, hiding it from my Fiancé... Lol. she gonna kill me.

I only have IEMS, however, I also have an RSA Intruder. Should be a nice stack for me.

So much for 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715927/moving-too-fast-with-purchases

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #209 of 324
LMAO... Yep. I know. it was kind of an impulse thing. I have been research this, and honestly didn't purchase it for some great improvement in SQ, I did but it more for it being a very sexy player, that is Android. I'm not expecting any magical improvement here at all. if it sounds better to me than an Ipod touch 5g, i'll be beyond happy.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #210 of 324
LMAO... Yep. I know. it was kind of an impulse thing. I have been research this, and honestly didn't purchase it for some great improvement in SQ, I did but it more for it being a very sexy player, that is Android. I'm not expecting any magical improvement here at all. if it sounds better to me than an Ipod touch 5g, i'll be beyond happy.

I think you'll be extremely happy. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back