Multi-IEM review v.1: 48 earphones compared
Jan 30, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #211 of 473
Just found the secret to the CK10, tips that work for me, thanks to mp3. He suggested the Shure tri-flanges with the stalk trimmed (never would have thought of them). And guess what, I am blown away by the CK10s. Your review is right on the money. The stock tips hurt (too abrasive?), no matter what size. I could use the larges handing down, but want over the ear. Tried the Shures left over from the W3s and that was it. These suckers sound amazing, and they are an especially great match with the Sony X, and one Clear Bass click north.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #212 of 473
Well, that explains some of the sibilance issues I've seen reported. I agree on the stock tips - not very good. Hybrids are much more comfortable, as are Olives.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #214 of 473
Hi Joker,

Is the RE0 mod recommended, I'am awaiting my RE0's was feeling its better to check with the experts before doing it.

I do not want to loose any high end detail, will be using it though my D4 do you recommend the mod for the mids .

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #216 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Joker,

Is the RE0 mod recommended, I'am awaiting my RE0's was feeling its better to check with the experts before doing it.

I do not want to loose any high end detail, will be using it though my D4 do you recommend the mod for the mids .

I just tried this mod in the last 5 minutes. The foam is now back in.

Hated what the mod did. Definitely not for my ears: waaaay too "etchy" and sibilant.

The nice thing is that the mod is incredibly easy to do, and just as easy to reverse if you don't like it.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #217 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried this mod in the last 5 minutes. The foam is now back in.

Hated what the mod did. Definitely not for my ears: waaaay too "etchy" and sibilant.

The nice thing is that the mod is incredibly easy to do, and just as easy to reverse if you don't like it.

That was a quick reply, thanks for your recommendations, I will give it a try if its not too hard.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #218 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was a quick reply, thanks for your recommendations, I will give it a try if its not too hard.

Just so you know, I'm not Joker... just a passerby who happened to have some immediate feedback for your question.
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #219 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so you know, I'm not Joker... just a passerby who happened to have some immediate feedback for your question.
beerchug.gif

And happened to share my sentiments as well. I tried the mod and went back to undo it a few days later. The RE0 have more than enough treble for my tastes. Taking out the foam puts them over the top. Of course it is 100% reversible so trying it is a good way to find out if the balance of the stock RE0 is more to your liking or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aangel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello ljokerl, what is mini3 amp for etymotics?, i have etymotics er-4p with fiio5 and i really love it more and more everyday, i´d like listening audio-technica ath-ck10...

The mini3 is a portable DIY solid-state amp. It costs about $100 if you commission a build or buy a new one off ebay or around $75-80 if you build it yourself. All of the relevant info is found here. The mini3 is my favorite budget portable amp by a long shot.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #220 of 473
It's weird but the first time I did the RE0 mod, I too found them unbearably sibilant, but the second time I did it a couple of months later - the treble was no longer sibilant. I think they burned in. But I had a different issue with this mod - it completely ruined the low end IMO. The bass became totally sloppy - completely lacking tightness and definition.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #222 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's weird but the first time I did the RE0 mod, I too found them unbearably sibilant, but the second time I did it a couple of months later - the treble was no longer sibilant. I think they burned in. But I had a different issue with this mod - it completely ruined the low end IMO. The bass became totally sloppy - completely lacking tightness and definition.

Is that real, I felt it only affected the mids and the treble.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #224 of 473
You are right, there are none on ebay at the moment. I would suggest sending a message to either MisterX or RockhopperAudio (or both) and asking how much it would cost to have a mini3 built and shipped to wherever you are. Also don't forget to check the head-fi fs forums as minis come up pretty often. They really aren't very difficult to build.

The Fiio really can't compete with the mini3 in anything except portability (where the Fiio wins, hands down). The mini is more powerful, more neutral, more transparent. I felt that the E5 was good for a bit of bass boost and for 'warming up' some cooler-sounding phones but on the grand scale it was a still a gadget more than it was a serious amp. It gave a volume boost, yes, but with less efficient headphones it still didn't give the same sense of effortlessness that a proper amp gives.

I know I'm being overly critical of a $20 microamp here, but I'm comparing it to a $100 mini3 which is unfair to begin with.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #225 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right, there are none on ebay at the moment. I would suggest sending a message to either MisterX or RockhopperAudio (or both) and asking how much it would cost to have a mini3 built and shipped to wherever you are. Also don't forget to check the head-fi fs forums as minis come up pretty often. They really aren't very difficult to build.

The Fiio really can't compete with the mini3 in anything except portability (where the Fiio wins, hands down). The mini is more powerful, more neutral, more transparent. I felt that the E5 was good for a bit of bass boost and for 'warming up' some cooler-sounding phones but on the grand scale it was a still a gadget more than it was a serious amp. It gave a volume boost, yes, but with less efficient headphones it still didn't give the same sense of effortlessness that a proper amp gives.

I know I'm being overly critical of a $20 microamp here, but I'm comparing it to a $100 mini3 which is unfair to begin with.

many thanks for your words ljokerl...

with hope

Users who are viewing this thread

Back