"mug me" headphones
Oct 16, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #46 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I have used my ps-1's out and about a few times..

Nobody knew what they were so I wasent affraid of being mugged really.

...if you came to Urbana wearing PS-1s...*I* might mug you.
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #47 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supsup
rolleyes.gif

The victims are not at fault at all. The criminal is always at fault. I don't know how things work "Down Under", but putting the blame on the victim makes you look like an idiot.

lol, blame others? indeed, i'd assume you've been mugged before and you're blaming everything on other people
if a person who paid for a hotdog by the street didnt took out his wallet and flashed he had a few 50 dollar notes in there, the mugger wouldn't have mugged him.

same thing here, if you didn't wear white headphones telling everyone you have an ipod, the mugger wouldn't have ask if you have an ipod and proceeded to mug you.

opportunity is created by the victim. yes. go study criminal behavior.
rolleyes.gif
and no, it has got nothing to do with being down under, its universal.

Oct 16, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #48 of 88
first of all.. never say you have an ipod to a stranger.

and why use those crappy white headphones... get something else... do the e6i look like u have an ipod too? damn i might get my ihp mugged...

Oct 16, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #49 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I don't mean to appear rude, but your post kind of "offended" me. I'm unsure why you had to specifically mention asians, relevant or not.You could've just said "group of guys" or something. To me (and I'm probably reading into it wayyy too much), your post seems a little offensive. I care not to elaborate the exact aspects of your words that do so, since I may just end up talking out of my ass. I'm sorry, I just had to say something. Just ignore me.
icon10.gif

Of course if you're asian as well, then this whole post of mine is completely irrelevant.
tongue.gif

Well, if I said a "group of guys", then a woman might be offended.
Really, get over it.

icon10.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #50 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
lol, blame others? indeed, i'd assume you've been mugged before and you're blaming everything on other people
if a person who paid for a hotdog by the street didnt took out his wallet and flashed he had a few 50 dollar notes in there, the mugger wouldn't have mugged him.

same thing here, if you didn't wear white headphones telling everyone you have an ipod, the mugger wouldn't have ask if you have an ipod and proceeded to mug you.

opportunity is created by the victim. yes. go study criminal behavior.
rolleyes.gif
and no, it has got nothing to do with being down under, its universal.

No, I've never been mugged before.

It's just rediculous to claim that the victim is at fault because they brought attention to themselves. They aren't at fault at all, because (this is important here) the criminal shouldn't be mugging them in the first place .

Understand though, that I agree with you that bringing attention to yourself is never a good idea, although the criminal is still completely at fault for the mugging incident.

Oct 16, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #51 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I don't mean to appear rude, but your post kind of "offended" me. I'm unsure why you had to specifically mention asians, relevant or not.You could've just said "group of guys" or something. To me (and I'm probably reading into it wayyy too much), your post seems a little offensive. I care not to elaborate the exact aspects of your words that do so, since I may just end up talking out of my ass. I'm sorry, I just had to say something. Just ignore me.
icon10.gif

Of course if you're asian as well, then this whole post of mine is completely irrelevant.
tongue.gif

Asians are meant to have all the cool flash gadgets, so beating them gets points. I battled my Chinese friend when I had an E10 MD. Busted it out, but he had an N10 in graphite. I lost that round. Now I got a pod, and respect from him.

Back to the mug me bit, my EX70 is taped together these days and half has a Shure foamie. I haven't used IPOD earbud because it gave me a swollen ear for a week. No one would want to touch my EX70 let alone steal the $5 apple walkman attached to it.

Oct 16, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #52 of 88
i find it interesting that people always use race when describing a group of hoodlums

i find that describing their apparel has much much much higher correlation with being hoodlums or not than their race

i call it apparelism/clothism

you can tell a lot about a person by how they dress...... after all the way you dress is a consious choice you make

Oct 16, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #53 of 88
Quote:

No, I've never been mugged before.

It's just rediculous to claim that the victim is at fault because they brought attention to themselves. They aren't at fault at all, because (this is important here) the criminal shouldn't be mugging them in the first place .

Understand though, that I agree with you that bringing attention to yourself is never a good idea, although the criminal is still completely at fault for the mugging incident.

heard of action and reaction? i bet you did
now, have you heard of cause and effect?
no cause, no effect.

"the criminal shouldn't be mugging them in the first place"
they wouldn't be mugging the victim provided there was no opportunity for them to do so.

everybody have different opinions, i stand by mine.
580smile.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #54 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
they wouldn't be mugging the victim provided there was no opportunity for them to do so.

You're not understanding.

The victim should not be at fault at all. In no way is the victim responsible for the mugging, because it's the criminal who is breaking the law. Maybe I should have rephrased my statement

Just because there's an opportunity does not justify the criminal's action.

Even though someone may be making it clear they have an expensive device in their pocket, the criminal does not have to mug them. It's NOT a cause-effect situation here, because the effect does NOT have to respond to the "cause" (ipod flashing). The Criminal is at fault reguardless of opportunity, or white earbud flashing, or whatever else. They should not be commiting crime in the first place, so why are you justifying their actions by blaming the victim?

Let's say you recently bought a Plasma TV which cost you more than 2000 dollars.. A person sees you have it and breaks into your house and steals it.. Is it your fault that the criminal stole it?

Oct 16, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #55 of 88
Quote:

Let's say you recently bought a Plasma TV which cost you more than 2000 dollars.. A person sees you have it and breaks into your house and steals it.. Is it your fault that the criminal stole it?

"umm..hmm..yeah..Its your fault cuz ur spos'd to have a craptacular looking thing so other people dont take it! duh!"

No... its not your fault, but my idea: shut the blinds! Or conceal it so its not appealing...I hide my iMP-450 because everyone get attracted to it and wants to hold it and look at it...Its kinda scary...when they see that iRiver remote, you know its all over!

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #56 of 88
IMO you guys are getting too philosophical and to the extreme.
As with all things, in the practical sense, it falls somewhere in between... why engage in a philosophical, moral and legal interpretation of "fault"...

quite useless imo.

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #57 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikop
IMO you guys are getting too philosophical and to the extreme.
As with all things, in the practical sense, it falls somewhere in between... why engage in a philosophical, moral and legal interpretation of "fault"...

quite useless imo.

because it relates to the thread.

There's no such thing as "mug me" headphones, only "mug you" criminals.

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #58 of 88
While there is no "mug me" phone, but there is "mug me" actions such as flashing.
You can't possibly deny that other with some higher than thou philosophy in regard to personal responsibility while completely fail to take it upon yourself.

As faulty as the logic for Ixeo and the like, so are your rationalizations if you argue that in no instances should anyone wearing anything they know is worthy should bear any responsilbity.

Let's take it to the extreme since that is all we do here in making our points...

If you know you live next to couple pedophile... and you believe in that there is no crime in being nude, that nude is beautiful and that it is other's fault for placing this wicked sexuality over something so natural and beautiful, what responsibility do you bear, if any at all, for sending your child in all his/her glory to the neighbor's house.

There are due deligence and sensibility. You simply can't walk through south central flashing your rolex and have bills sticking out every where and get rob and somehow claim complete innoncent.

Certainly, Ixeo's argument doesn't fly as it falls into the classic rationalization used by wife beaters and sexual offenders...

"she made me do it, I didn't want to, but she won't stop nagging blah blah blah"

The point is, you all recognize that this is a dead end and are harping on it for argument's sake...

I don't know, perhaps I, and I suspect many others, would just rather enjoy the stupidity of it all as this thread was originally headed to before we all engaged in this philosophical, moral and legal battle of assigning responsibilities.

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #59 of 88
if some fool tried to take my ipod, i'd break it over their face.

It would be a funny thing to read abut in the paper ; )

Unless some fool has heat, he's not taking crap.

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #60 of 88
Quote:

You're not understanding.

The victim should not be at fault at all. In no way is the victim responsible for the mugging, because it's the criminal who is breaking the law. Maybe I should have rephrased my statement

Just because there's an opportunity does not justify the criminal's action.

Even though someone may be making it clear they have an expensive device in their pocket, the criminal does not have to mug them. It's NOT a cause-effect situation here, because the effect does NOT have to respond to the "cause" (ipod flashing). The Criminal is at fault reguardless of opportunity, or white earbud flashing, or whatever else. They should not be commiting crime in the first place, so why are you justifying their actions by blaming the victim?

yes, cause i created an opportunity for them by not investing in alarm systems & CCTV & install blinds (***), or better locks etc. the thing with (majority) criminals is that they only pull off a crime if they think they can get away with it.

i did not said the criminal's actions were justified, no where did i mention that at all. do point out where i mentioned that (if i did)

all i'm saying that it is the victim's fault for creating the opportunity for the criminal.

i am NOT saying it is the victim's fault for being mugged!

now Supsup, kindly understand exactly what i am saying, and not assume what you think i am saying.

"she made me do it, I didn't want to, but she won't stop nagging blah blah blah"
NOBODY can make you do what you don't want to do, unless your life is at stake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back