"mug me" headphones
Oct 12, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 88
I have heard of similar cases here in NYC.

Oct 12, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 88
yup, a quick google turned this up

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03...sons_musthave/

"I was walking down the road near to my home when a man who was walking the other way pointed at my headphones."

The thief then asked Baskerville if he was listening to an iPod and, receiving an affirmative answer, he "pulled a knife out and started waving it at me, saying: ‘Well hand it over, then.’ I gave it to him and he ran off. He must have known I was wearing an iPod because of the white headphones."

Oct 12, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 88
Around my part of town, the cheaper Sony V-series are rather popular. I was wearing them on the bus home one day when I was mugged. They might have been of poor quality, but cost me $50 nonetheless. (What can I say, this was prior to head-fi) Oh well, the Shure e2 looks too much like a hearing aid for anyone to want to mug me for.

Oct 12, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 88
Get some er-4s or grados, couple it with an IHP, and thieves'll be to busy laughing to try and rob you. They may even give you some nice looking phones out of pity.

(the IHP looks like a tape player, everyone I've shown it to thinks this is so)

Oct 13, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 88
Makes me glad I'm 6 foot and 250 pounds (my other hobby is weight lifting), most people don't mess with me. I'm not saying this could never happen to me (there's always someone bigger), but it cuts the odds down a lot. I agree with the other suggestions, get some inconspicuous headphones and try to maintain a low profile.

And whatever happens, it's not worth your life.

Oct 13, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
(the IHP looks like a tape player, everyone I've shown it to thinks this is so)

Quote ipod'er on the train, noticing my iHP... "nice tape player mate
tongue.gif
"

i kid you not ><

Oct 13, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I'd be more worried the other way around.
wink.gif

So, does this mean Apple can add other new function to the ipod spec sheet?
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 88
this reminds me i need to get a small calibur gun. I'm a small guy so probably a prime target. someone tries to rob me i'd rather give him a bullet than my hard-earned stuff. the trick would be keeping it accessable enough that a mugger wouldn't know the difference what i was grabbing for. and getting the safety off and trigger pulled in one swoop. may need some practice.

it could get complicated if they mugger died or something, especially if he threatened but a weapon wasn't visible and it turned out he was just bluffing. better carry something "extra" for that scenario. i have a house, respectable job, no record, etc so I wouldn't expect much hassle.

over-use of force? i don't think so. I have no idea what someone who is threatening is going to do, even if I do hand over my stuff. I can only assume the worst and act accordingly.

not that i wear iPod earbuds or anything.
etysmile.gif

but any mugger that recognizes Ety's/Xin cabling, don't even think about it.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 88
another option for the less-agressive would be disguise. for instance, i recently got a iSkin evo2 for my ipod4. the color i got was "carbon" because it was the cheaper than the others at newegg. like $23 vs $30 for other colors at iskin store and cheaper shipping. anyway, i got it today, and damn... now i understand why it was so cheap. it's sooo ugly. worst color I can imagine. it's like a sort-of translucent darkish-greyish-green. ipod now looks like it was rubbed in vomit or something. anyway only the weel is visible in the original whitish-grey but you can even get a film cover for that

http://www.ipodonut.com/english/

well, even without that, i don't think anyone will want to steal it now.

Oct 13, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 88
yea, sucks being a smaller guy. Maybe it's time I bulk up, ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back