MTP Copper vs. HJE900 for Extreme Metal
Mar 13, 2010 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Hyperfluxe

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

First off I just want to say that I've done my research and have read every thread to compare these IEM's including Clash of the Titans. |joker| has helped me A LOT with this, but I STILL didn't reach a final conclusion. I want to know your opinions on which one is better for my musical tastes. I initially bought the RE0, but there just wasn't nearly enough bass for Metal. I mainly listen to Death, Black, Thrash, Power and Folk Metal, so good treble is very important to me for guitars, an good bass for drums and blast beats.

About 25% of my music is bad quality (in terms of production, recording, and/or bitrate), because that's just the way Black Metal is. One of the problems I've read about the HJE900's is that if you feed it with bad quality music, you get bad results through the IEM's - more so than many other IEM's. The phrase "crap in, crap out" is what I've read. This worries me a lot because like I said, a quarter of my music is bad quality because of old albums and bands not having money for good production. Another thing that worries me about the HJE900's is the treble, I've heard that it's pretty harsh and aggressive. The problem that I've read about the MTPC is that the treble is too soft and laid-back. |joker| says that they are so good and balanced, that they sound boring to him, even more that the ER4S...that worries me too. In terms of comfort, isolation, fit, accessories, build quality, and microphonics, both are fairly good so I'm not interested in a comparison for that matter. All I care is about is sound quality.

If anyone could help me out on this, I would really appreciate it. Price is not an issue, it's only a 65$ difference (110$ HJE and 175$ MTPC), although I wouldn't mind saving 65$ if the HJE are better for me.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 22
If price is not an issue maybe bump up to the Monster Miles Davis? I've listened to Emperor, Dissection, Kalmah, In Flames, Children of Bodom, etc. and they all sound right, conveying the proper atmosphere and with more than enough speed to handle the wall of sound. Overall a well balanced IEM that's not lacking in any area, in my opinion.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by knubbe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If price is not an issue maybe bump up to the Monster Miles Davis? I've listened to Emperor, Dissection, Kalmah, In Flames, Children of Bodom, etc. and they all sound right, conveying the proper atmosphere and with more than enough speed to handle the wall of sound. Overall a well balanced IEM that's not lacking in any area, in my opinion.

It needs to be under 200$ though, and I'm not interested in the MD set for that price. It's either the Coppers or the HJE.

Absolutely amazing taste in music man, Emperor and Kalmah are some of my favourite bands.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 22
I can't comment on the Copper's as i have the Gold, but i assume they're fairly similar. My 900's i found to be overly bright with the stock tips and up to the first 50 hours during burn in, but switching to Comply Tx500 foams eradicated the only little bit of sibilance i was detecting and brought the treble down right to where i like it, as well it tightened and increased the bass a little bit for me. Other opinions will vary i'm sure. I would say that the 900's have a more continual bass presence(with the Comply's) compared to the Monster Gold, but it's more continual midbass than deep impactful bass. The Gold has excellent bass, but it's most often there when it's supposed to be, and not when it isn't. Very linear.
Overall both are excellent choices. Both are very smooth and fun to listen to. You have a tough choice to make, but really can't make a bad one between the two.
The only other thing i would say is if you're planning on wearing them while being active, the 900's are a little heavier in the ear, i find. Not a problem with me, but worth mentioning.
Good luck!

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 22
Slayer from the 80s(Hell awaits) is fine. Atheist from the 80s isn't unfortunately, but it can be fixed with burn in. I haven't had these burned in for long as my other ones that bit the dust, because i remembering atheist sounding better. I did have the others foam modded, so doing that helps. But it also cuts down on the soundstage and bass.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 22
I think Copper are better for above genres.........

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 22
I think the copper may be a better phone period. I dunno haven't tried it.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 22
hi,i have the coppers, i would say they are a very SAFE sounding iem, by that i mean a very smooth tame treble, no sibilance, bright and detailed while at the same time failing to excite on 50% of the music i play on them ,I think i agree with joker, maybe even boardering on being a little boring from time to time,although i still have only around 32hrs on them so hoping they will improve with more burn in, they have forward lush mids,very detailed and a decent bass pressence again detailed, although my golds go deeper and have more impact and bravardo,in the bass.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 22
I say get the Coppers for $175 while you still can. Dell is gonna notice this possible price mistake soon and will end up selling them at at over $260-$365 like the rest of the reputable sellers. I think if you wait past this weekend you may be out of luck.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,i have the coppers, i would say they are a very SAFE sounding iem, by that i mean a very smooth tame treble, no sibilance, bright and detailed while at the same time failing to excite on 50% of the music i play on them ,I think i agree with joker, maybe even boardering on being a little boring from time to time,although i still have only around 32hrs on them so hoping they will improve with more burn in, they have forward lush mids,very detailed and a decent bass pressence again detailed, although my golds go deeper and have more impact and bravardo,in the bass.

Can anyone else confirm this? That's two members so far saying this...I don't want to have boring sounding music.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 22
I only have the HJE900, so I'll speak based on my impressioins of those and the extensive(really extensive) reading I've done on the coppers. Overall, I'm not sure any could be declared outright better, it might depend on your own preferences of sound signature(not just genre related).

I have very diverse tastes in music, and that includes extreme, but I haven't given that a real listen since my earlier days with the HJE900s. In any case I enjoyed it a lot. I'll try giving another listen tonight if I get the chance.

I've heard from more than a couple of people that the monsters can render electric guitars excellently with all that grit and whatnot. I'm not sure whether joker has heard the coppers though. From what I can gather, the midrange is whats most similar on the two, with the coppers having both slightly more treble extension and slightly less bass emphasis. According to the_search_never_ends, guitars sound better on the copper than they do on the gold, if that factors in.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the revealingness of the HJE900s. Yea, you'll be able to hear the distortion on lower-fi files, but I don't find it enough to be annoying. It also depends on the kind of music. I'm not sure whether the extreme variations of metal would make it more apparent or less apparent, with all the disharmonic sounds going on. I guess I'll have to try it again. But even in orschestra recordings, where it was most apparent to me, I didn't find it annoying, more like "oh look at that" =P

What's your listening volume like? Apparently the MTPs like having a bit more juice and volume to them, so if you're listening at louder volumes, you'll prolly get a bit more from them(not that im recommending it though, your hearing is important =P).

Some praise I found bout the monsters and guitars on the copper thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening last night and guitars sounded amazing on the Copper!
wink.gif

Hope you find a great deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO.the gold and copper colors have nothing to do with the sound signature. They use different cables, and are tuned differently. They do not sound night and day different. As joe said, guitars are fantastic on the Copper, although the gold do well also. MD evaluation still underway, I am really loving the MD set, the Gold and Copeer are both Great sets, not sure I'd say one is better, rather preferences being the deciding factor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobber65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick note on guitars and Grados wrt MTP (Gold in my case, waiting to get Copper soon). Nothing, and I mean nothing, captures the grunge of electric guitars as close to Grado as the Turbine family. The Golds, because they are more neutral in the bass and tighter in the mids and treble, are an improvement, and still seem to bring the Grado guitar quality to an IEM. I have swapped all my Grados, and the Turbines/Pros just bring this sound to an IEM. Pretty cool, and great to have that sound on the road.

As much as I love my CZs, I'm going to recommend the MTPs, as they seem to do better with rock from what I've read, and might be the safer choice(even if safer sounding). At their current price, the offer is quite a great one to just let it pass off. Be sure to check out the PFE tips with them as people seem to like that(though monster includes plenty of accessories).

I don't think you could go wrong with either anyways.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TouchOfEvil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recently bought the 900's and got them this friday. I have about 16hours on them right now letting them burn in.
The highs and mids are great for metal IMO. The one complaint as of now is bass for me. Unless it's a very heavy bass track it doesn't seem to keep up the with mids and highs.
I am listening to metal only with them as i got em for the gym.
I am however a big basshead so they could be perfect for you, not sure.
Even still i'm sure they will get better over the burn in, they should.
Overall i am happy with them just gonna have to change my eq settings for the ipod i guess.

Couple of things. What tips are you using, and have you listened to them extensively outside of the gym?

Not having enough bass is something you rarely hear about these. Maybe it's a burn in thing.

If you find they're lacking bass, my thoughts immediately turn towards an inadequate fit. I recommend trying out a larger size of tips, stuffing the tips you have with foam, or buying sony hybrids or comply t400s(to be placed backwards on the nozzle so as to not lose the treble). The Sonys are a warmer sounding tip that help bring out the bass alot, while just barrrely attenuating the treble.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 22
I just recently bought the 900's and got them this friday. I have about 16hours on them right now letting them burn in.
The highs and mids are great for metal IMO. The one complaint as of now is bass for me. Unless it's a very heavy bass track it doesn't seem to keep up the with mids and highs.
I am listening to metal only with them as i got em for the gym.
I am however a big basshead so they could be perfect for you, not sure.
Even still i'm sure they will get better over the burn in, they should.
Overall i am happy with them just gonna have to change my eq settings for the ipod i guess.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 22
^ x2, I thought the same, LOL!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay, finally thought i ought to unpack these after their weekend away last weekend and am A / B ing with the Denon C751 and OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! the pannys are colossal bass monsters, they make the denons look positively neutral and flat in comparison

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 22
Hahaha, I was just about to edit my post after the "Not having enough bass is something you rarely hear about these." I was going to add "(Seriously, just ask mark2410)" XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back