MSB Analog DAC? (Review p3)
Aug 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #92 of 740
I had to give it back...I must take a pause from litening for a few days. Tried to listen to my gear and they sound ... miles miles away compared to analog dac :frowning2:( . 

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #93 of 740
Quote:
Yes, I've compared quite a bit.  I don't hear a difference in quality, contrary to what everyone from Larry down has told me to expect.  Have the power base and volume control.  Thought I'd add extra inputs down the road but didn't need to, the USB is the best I've heard.

What about DSD, have you  been using it? Same as listening to an SACD player (or way better)? Overall experience - hype or must have?

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #94 of 740
Quote:
What about DSD, have you  been using it? Same as listening to an SACD player (or way better)? Overall experience - hype or must have?

I have tested some dsd files, but I am not sure about if I picked the best quality recordings. I was impressed by them but I have heard equally good flacs.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #95 of 740
Quote:

I tried getting on the DSD bandwagon back when I had other DSD capable DACS (Mytek, Invicta) and it was just uninspiring.  It's 0.0001% of my digital music collection, so at this point I really couldn't give two hoots and it wasn't a selling point.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #96 of 740
Quote:
I tried getting on the DSD bandwagon back when I had other DSD capable DACS (Mytek, Invicta) and it was just uninspiring.  It's 0.0001% of my digital music collection, so at this point I really couldn't give two hoots and it wasn't a selling point.

This.

Another dead in the water format, imo. Even if there was tons of DSD content (there isn't)-most reports say there isn't much of a sound quality improvement anyway.

-Daniel

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #97 of 740
OK, seems more like marketing hype. Reminds me of 3D TV, all the new TV's have it but nobody uses it. I'm sure some of the content sounds great, but shouldn't be a requirement when looking at DAC's.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #100 of 740
From memory, its deeper into the recording than other DACs I've heard, but that's really fickle and I wouldn't rely on it.  The IV+ is not much better in the time domain unless you're willing to spend 10K on a clock, its the extra detail in their top modules (plus being internally balanced.)

Thanks Radio Head, the whole non-balanced thing is hard for me to accept considering the price of the Analog... I will have to audition one some day.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #102 of 740
From memory, its deeper into the recording than other DACs I've heard, but that's really fickle and I wouldn't rely on it.  The IV+ is not much better in the time domain unless you're willing to spend 10K on a clock, its the extra detail in their top modules (plus being internally balanced.)

I saw the dac comparison chart on their site, seems the dac module is 25bit in the Analog which is close to (or equal to?) the dac modules in the Signature IV+, and is better(?) than the Platinum IV+.

Does it mean, other than SE vs. balanced, the Analog can beat the Platinum IV+?

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #103 of 740
I'm curious if anyone (Tari, Dan?) has heard both the Overdrive SE and the Analog Dac. I'm undecided between these two-and will be pulling the trigger on one or the other this winter sometime. I also think that Steve at Empirical will have an Updated Overdrive by then with the OR6 implementation-throwing another wrench into my plans. Bah.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back