MS2i Vs MS1
Mar 21, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #16 of 54
I really feel you'll be right with the MS-2i (and MS-pro, if budget permits). Aside from the beautiful craftsmanship, I can enjoy mine from virtually any source, including an el-cheapo chinese USB soundcard (reviewed somewhere here). They are not fussy with the source and amp used, despite what more hardcore head-fiers might think. You'll be happy with yours, sonically and aesthetically.

Cheers!

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by PooJou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go and try some - go to www.headphones.com.au and buy a pair, you have 7 days to return them if you don't like them. You can only read so much off forums - best to try them and find out.

Also bowl pads make an assload of difference, so you might want to try listening to both using the same type of pads for consistencies sake

The MS-2is come stock with the Bowl pads anyway.
wink.gif
I do actually prefer the Flat pads on mine though - the Bowls are too shrill- and thin-sounding to my ears.

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #18 of 54
My MS-2's have sounded great with anything I've plugged them into, including sound card output jack, iPod Nano, home theatre amplifier and my headphone amps. It seems the phones handle different sources pretty well. I think the only issue was that the iPod Nano could not drive them to very loud levels, but still loud enough.

Emotion and intimacy is exactly what the sound of MS-2's is all about.

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #19 of 54
Thanks to all for your opinions. I thought the MS2i - MS1 upgrade theme might have been getting a bit thin with all you veteran Headfi's. I have decided to purchase a set of Fatboys, just as soon as I can work up the courage to tell my wife. I will take your advice DesmondDavidH and get the grado adapter (might as well protect the investment). I had the same experience as you niktheblak, my MUVO couldn't quite drive the Alessandro's to their best, however the Porta Corda fixed that (as well as opening up the sound a tad more). Well I'm looking forward to more of that Alessandro magic, fatboy style, forward, fast, improved soundstage and base impact and full of involving, emotional sound that promotes "experiencing" over simply "listening". I will let you know my impressions of the MS2i when I get them, however I suspect you have all heard it before. Cheers

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #20 of 54
Whew! It's always nice when other folks have about the same experience with something as I do. I must admit that I AM a super fan of the MS2i, but I always worry when writing as honestly as I can about them, that someone might run out and buy a set when I'm actually not really trying to recommend them! That's why I always try to temper it with my favorite "...when you add in the value of the better materials and workmanship" line. Anyway; I know what "I" hear, but of course we don't all hear the same. Right now it almost seems that many of us "do" hear about the same!!

My wife does finally understand. A few days ago I happened to mention something like; "....oh; the 'Carpenters'" as I reached for their CD. The wife tossed me a box of Kleenex facial tissues.

After nearly forty years she knows me so well.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Naw, well speaking for me, anyway, I never get tired of writing about my favorite set of cans!

....although for organ music it's hard to beat the HD600s...but that's ANOTHER story!

Ah; you read the story in those posts back in early 05 about the "fatboy" huh?! It's fun.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #21 of 54
At the risk of hijacking my own thread (it has reached conclusion anyway I guess): F107plus5 when your wife next hands you those tissues in a gesture of understanding, it is the perfect time to mention those MS Pros.

Good luck

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #22 of 54
believe me Kernmac... you won't regret getting the MS2i
biggrin.gif

I upgraded from SR60 to MS2i pretty soon after I got the SR60 (about a month in between) and I simply love them...

Do post your impressions and... if you're any good with a camera, take some pics! The MS2i is a pretty easy and darn pretty model

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the risk of hijacking my own thread (it has reached conclusion anyway I guess): F107plus5 when your wife next hands you those tissues in a gesture of understanding, it is the perfect time to mention those MS Pros.

Good luck

Thanks! But the last time I did mention MS-Pros, she handed me an icy stare!
frown.gif

That one IS a hard one to justify. The MS2i is fairly easy to rationalize and maybe even justify by realizing how much nicer the "materials and workmanship" are. But the poor ol' MS-Pro only swaps an expensive aluminum housing with a similarly expensive wooden housing. There's not even much difference in the headband! Ok; you do pick up some metal bits to replace some plastic, but it's not too obvious. And you do pick up the lighter weight, but from going back to day one in this forum and everywhere else I can think of to look, I get the "impression" that the move from MS2i to MS-Pro is "perhaps" less than the move from MS-1 to MS2i. And to make matters worse, I would likely have to upgrade my system to take advantage of the better SQ anyway!!

....gotta be real careful here; I don't want to step on any MS-Pro owners toes...I envy them for having the current ultimate in the Alessandro sound and I'd dearly love to join them!
rs1smile.gif

This next move may turn out to be down a fairly rough road, but one I'd really like to travel!

Good luck with your travels as well!
Rich.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #24 of 54
as far as getting the adapter goes, if you're ordering directly from alessandro.com, it's my understanding that they can be custom ordered with a 1/8" plug at no additional cost. it just might take a little longer though.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #25 of 54
Well I told/asked my wife I was ordering the MS2i. I have ordered all my past gear from Headphonic (Australian distributor for Alessandro) and have always got it in 2-3 days. (At this point MS2i Headfiers that have waited weeks from Alessandro direct let out a deep sigh). I checked the site, they had the MS2i listed as in stock, so I pulled the trigger on a pair and a grado adaptor.
Email from Headphonic confirming my order, stated out of stock and 3 week ETA. My turn to sigh. The hard work has been done. I have made the decision, and broken the news to my better half and although she isn't over the moon, we are still on speaking terms. Now I just have to wait those 3 weeks and hope they don't blow out to more. Oh well back to my MS1's for now.

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #26 of 54
Ouch; that extra unexpected delay can be a major bummer!

Hopefully, like many of us, the wait will eventually be well worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

...and that everything will be back to normal at home too!

Mar 23, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #28 of 54
Be sure to post back on how they compared to your MS1! I'm still on the edge on purchasing the MS1 or splurging on a used pair of MS2i! Hopefully you'll end up telling us that the difference is minimal.......... or bye bye walllet.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #30 of 54
RevToTheRedline, MS2i is the MS2. it is really only known here as MS2i or Fatboy in reference to the fact that the Grado 325 changed to 325i. It went from the "frankenstein Bolt" look to the Mushroom "Fatboy" shape, and so did the MS2. However Alessandro have not changed the name of the MS2 to reflect this change. And to Jondl, I hope I report back the fact that you should shell out for the MS2 as it is soooo much better than the MS1, however I am not going to pre-empt my opinion until I've taken the Fatboys for a serious spin. Sorry about your wallet-I've always wanted to say that.
Below is a pic of an MS2i and then an MS2 to show the difference. These are not my pics so credit must go to the original posters. I will post photos (now that I know how-thanks to Televator) when my Fatboys turn up.

MS2i.jpg

MS2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back