MS2i Vs MS1
Mar 20, 2007 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Kernmac

1000+ Head-Fier
Although I've visited Headfi more times than I would like to admit, this is my first post. I currently use MS1's conected to a Muvo MP3 via a Porta Corda III headphone amp. I am extremely pleased with the sound (love my MS1). I have been considering an MS2i (and who wouldn't after visiting Headfi several times, sorry senn, AKG, AT and the rest fans) however as I've only had the MS1's for two months, my other half thinks I am deranged, and I'm starting to believe her. I've read all the MS1 and MS2 threads, however I would love to hear from those that have (had) both and used them via a portable source to tell me that the difference is worth it or that I'm wasting my money as the performance (sound) improvement is minimal. MS1's cost $150 and MS2i's are $399 in Australia.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 54
I wouldn't recommend the MS-2's for portable use because they:
  1. are heavy and bulky
  2. fall off your head easily if you make sudden movements
  3. As the previous poster said, they are a little too flashy and may attract "unwanted attention"
As for sound quality, the MS-2's are superior to MS-1's in every aspect. I own both and can say without any doubt that they are worth the price difference. However, I would still prefer MS-1's for portables for the aforementioned reasons.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 54
MuVo & MS1 is also my portable combo, which pleases me totally - I even sometimes use this combo in the house, as it sounds so alive.

I somewhat doubt that it makes sense to spend hundrets of dollars to get more of the same.

If you are in general consumption mood and want new fons, I rather recommend either a closed Portable like the Senn HD25-1...or some big comfy cultivated can for home use as compliment to your MS1s (e.g. HD580/600/650, DT880 or alike). If you're rather lurking after that lively MS1 sound signature plus soundscape, you could do worse than getting a DT250 or an A900.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those metal housings might attract would-be muggers on the streets though...
wink.gif

He's in Tasmania, not Sydney.
tongue.gif

A member here I was talking to said he considered his MS2s portable - they would be quite heavy but it all comes down to your own opinion. It'll be hard for you to find somewhere or someone in Tasmania with a pair to try out yourself though.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 54
For in-the-home use the MS2i is a real winner! The increase in SQ is really worth the extra cost when the increase in materials and workmanship is factored in.

For portable use they would be a problem. I don't have a way to hook my MS2i to my portable at the moment, but I did do a test to see how they would work while wandering around.....

.....I made it as far as the kitchen.
tongue.gif

Spending more to get more of the same does sound silly, but the more of the same, is the same sound only better! Or, in my case; "if you like the MS-1, you'll love the MS2i"!

And the MS-Pro scares the heck out of me!!

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 54
Thanks for your replies. I didn't make it very clear that I won't use the MS2i as a portable as such, it will be conected to my portable set up (mainly as this it what I use all the time as I only have a surround system with speakers as an alternative, source is my TV/DVD) so it is simply sound quality I am looking for, not portability.
And yes I live in Tasmania not Sydney, so I have less chance of getting mugged even if I did venture outside with a decent set of Hphones. There is no chance of listening to a set of MS2i, I have to either take the plunge or not, that is why I am seeking experienced opinions. F107plus5 states that the sound quality is worth it, would this be the case even though my source is limited? (Mind you the Porta Corda III makes a difference) Opinions on this please.

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your replies. I didn't make it very clear that I won't use the MS2i as a portable as such, it will be conected to my portable set up (mainly as this it what I use all the time as I only have a surround system with speakers as an alternative, source is my TV/DVD) so it is simply sound quality I am looking for, not portability.
And yes I live in Tasmania not Sydney, so I have less chance of getting mugged even if I did venture outside with a decent set of Hphones. There is no chance of listening to a set of MS2i, I have to either take the plunge or not, that is why I am seeking experienced opinions. F107plus5 states that the sound quality is worth it, would this be the case even though my source is limited? (Mind you the Porta Corda III makes a difference) Opinions on this please.

your amp is not the source. the muvo is. i wouldn't think it is worthwhile to spend that much money if you are only going to use them with the muvo...i mean come on! stick with your ms-1's if all you are using them with is the muvo. unless you have a much better source, ie computer flac, cd player, some real hi-fi stuff, then it is worth it, but don't take the plunge if you are only going to be using your muvo player.

edit: i would be hesitatant even spending so much cash just to use the headphones with my ZVM. keep your ms1's and save your money for a better source before you upgrade your headphones. but then again, if you can't resist...then go for it.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 54
Ouch! Tough questions!!

I have never heard my MS2i through a system using an mp3 player as source, so that's an interesting point. If it's a good clean input getting to the amp it may well be OK.

The difference in the sound between the MS-1 and the MS2i when both are amped is significant. Not enough perhaps to justify the additional cost "unless" you calculate in the benefits of the better materials and workmanship, which of course doesn't effect the sound, but adds other intrinsic values.

...the aluminum also adds a bit of weight and does bother some folks.
frown.gif

So in my opinion the phones are worth it if you add in both the sound as well as the appearance!

...I know I'm a great fan of mine and the darned MS-Pros are even trying to call!

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 54
I understand the MUVO is my source, however the sound from the the Porta Corda conected MUVO is better than the unamped MUVO. I am unlikely to upgrade my source in the near future as I like having portability within my house (listen in a bedroom, or living, or family room or where ever my four children aren't, I love them, but prefer to listen to my music alone). I also understand that as one moves up the headphone food chain that the improvement isn't proportionate, that is a $400 fon is never going to be twice as good as a $200 fon. I supose I'm looking for the best sound I can get from a MUVO- Porta Corda-headphone set up, without going to extremes. I think most would say that a $3000 Stax conected to my equipment would be over kill, however the question remians is a $400 MSi over kill? I also understand that replies are likely to centre on personal taste and opinion because everyone's ears are different and value for money is relative/subjective. For me, the Senn PX100 was a worthwhile step up from the Koss plugs, which were a step up from the buds that came with my MUVO, and the MS1 was a step up from the PX100,and the Porta Corda was an improvement (albeit marginal, however cross feed seems to enhace my experience) from being unamped. So the question remains from a sound quality/improvement perspective (forget portability or weight) is the MS2i going to give me a worth while improvement over the MS1 given my set up. I mostly listen to rock (from Muse to Regina Skeptor) my MP3's are the least compressed I can get, and I love the forward, fast, sound of the MS1's and I'm loking for more of the same, with that base impact and detailed highs and mids I read about from MS2i reviews.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by niktheblak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend the MS-2's for portable use because they:
  1. are heavy and bulky
  2. fall off your head easily if you make sudden movements
  3. As the previous poster said, they are a little too flashy and may attract "unwanted attention"
As for sound quality, the MS-2's are superior to MS-1's in every aspect. I own both and can say without any doubt that they are worth the price difference. However, I would still prefer MS-1's for portables for the aforementioned reasons.

If I'm reading this right, apart from the portability issues (which for me aren't issues), niktheblak is saying go for it. F107plus5 feels the MS2i is a significant step up (but has better source than portable MP3 player), however nickchen and souperman are of the opinion that I might be heading in over kill situation. Zorander and Nocturne also thanks for your replies.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

I understand the MUVO is my source, however the sound from the the Porta Corda conected MUVO is better than the unamped MUVO. I am unlikely to upgrade my source in the near future as I like having portability within my house (listen in a bedroom, or living, or family room or where ever my four children aren't, I love them, but prefer to listen to my music alone). I also understand that as one moves up the headphone food chain that the improvement isn't proportionate, that is a $400 fon is never going to be twice as good as a $200 fon. I supose I'm looking for the best sound I can get from a MUVO- Porta Corda-headphone set up, without going to extremes. I think most would say that a $3000 Stax conected to my equipment would be over kill, however the question remians is a $400 MSi over kill? I also understand that replies are likely to centre on personal taste and opinion because everyone's ears are different and value for money is relative/subjective. For me, the Senn PX100 was a worthwhile step up from the Koss plugs, which were a step up from the buds that came with my MUVO, and the MS1 was a step up from the PX100,and the Porta Corda was an improvement (albeit marginal, however cross feed seems to enhace my experience) from being unamped. So the question remains from a sound quality/improvement perspective (forget portability or weight) is the MS2i going to give me a worth while improvement over the MS1 given my set up. I mostly listen to rock (from Muse to Regina Skeptor) my MP3's are the least compressed I can get, and I love the forward, fast, sound of the MS1's and I'm loking for more of the same, with that base impact and detailed highs and mids I read about from MS2i reviews.

Uh....you've been here a lot longer than your post count lets on...huh? Such a level of realistic expectation from a new kid are really rare!!

The simple answer is: Yes.

My MS-1 unamped is good. When I add an amp they get better. My amp is a simple Onkyo high current receiver which does a reasonably good job with my ancient CD/DVD player. Not a great system, but quite alright.

When I listen to my MS-1, I suspect that I may hear about the same as what you hear on your system, more or less. When I plug in the MS2i I hear just about the same thing except the bass is a little deeper with a bit more impact. The mids are clearer with a bit more detail and clarity and the highs are a bit more extended. The extended highs can almost be looked upon as a bit more brightness, but I wouldn't call them at all bright or harsh. There's just a bit more on the top end.

But what I like most about them is the feeling of bigness. There is just more space between instruments and the instrument are just better defined and with a larger soundstage. Everything just kinda moves out a bit. After hearing it, it gets a little harder to go back to MS-1.

I'm using bowls with my MS2i and reversed and modded 414s on my MS-1. When I add the bowls to MS-1 I notice a bit of improvement....to my ears....so that may add to the confusion.

Another thing I notice about the MS2i which may be another "to my ears only" kind of thing is the way the MS2i effect me emotionally.

On certain passages the MS-1s may make me smile or go "aawww, sweet!" while on the same passage the MS2i will make me laugh, or cry.

Silly? Ok; but what the heck.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 54
Go and try some - go to www.headphones.com.au and buy a pair, you have 7 days to return them if you don't like them. You can only read so much off forums - best to try them and find out.

Also bowl pads make an assload of difference, so you might want to try listening to both using the same type of pads for consistencies sake

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Although I've visited Headfi more times than I would like to admit, this is my first post. I currently use MS1's conected to a Muvo MP3 via a Porta Corda III headphone amp. I am extremely pleased with the sound (love my MS1). I have been considering an MS2i (and who wouldn't after visiting Headfi several times, sorry senn, AKG, AT and the rest fans) however as I've only had the MS1's for two months, my other half thinks I am deranged, and I'm starting to believe her. I've read all the MS1 and MS2 threads, however I would love to hear from those that have (had) both and used them via a portable source to tell me that the difference is worth it or that I'm wasting my money as the performance (sound) improvement is minimal. MS1's cost $150 and MS2i's are $399 in Australia.
rs1smile.gif

LOL, you remind myself 3 months ago. December: Grado SR60. January: Alessandro MS2.
Well the sound improvement is not something like day and night, but you have more soundstage, better bass and the most musical mids I ever heard. It's not a perfect headphone because of the higher weight, I mean, it's not safe to run with it, or jump or street fighting, but if all you want to do is walking the weight is not a problem at all (you may develop better neck muscles, which is instead a positive thing).
Do not forget that the MS2 comes with the bigger standard jack, so it's better to buy also the Grado adapter which is way much better than the other adapters cause it has 5cm of cable between the male and the female, so you're not stressing your amplifier female connector (never stress the females, this is a general rule).

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #15 of 54
Thanks for the replies. F107plus5 you should be on Alessandro's payroll, you salesman. Emotion is exactly what I'm looking for, the MS1's are the first headphone that moved me from "listening" to "experiencing" and I'm in the market for more of that. DesmonddavidH thankyou for your comments, and belive me I agree with your general rule. The trouble is the purchase of said MS2i's will strees the female in my life (Spouse for 23 years) and conseuqently this stress will flow on to yours truly. I hope F107plus5 is right because I will need all the emotional escape that the MS2i can provide. I take your point regarding the grado 1/4 to mini conector and I think that it is a wise additional purchase. Thanks for listening to my questions, when all is said and done, I think the plunge was inevitable. The problem I have is that my wife can listen to AM radio, off station, in the car at low volume and not complain; how can I justify a $350 portable amp and a $150 set of headphones which are added to two months later with another set of fons ($400). She (bless her) has no understanding of the need to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back