**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,832 of 3,203

Hmm... This makes things more complicated. Now I'm torn between upgrading the V1s to either V3.2, Alpha Dog, or selling them to fund a pair of HE-400s.

confused_face(1).gif

I would choose the HE400 unless you need isolation. But that's my subjective opinion . YMMV

It probably depends primarily on your musical tastes.  I have both, but I would sell the HE-400s before the Mad Dog 3.2s.  The Mad Dogs have a greater clarity and accuracy that - for me - trumps any other aspect.  (The HE-400 are cooler in hot weather, and the Mad Dogs are better when you need isolation.)

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,833 of 3,203
  It probably depends primarily on your musical tastes.  I have both, but I would sell the HE-400s before the Mad Dog 3.2s.  The Mad Dogs have a greater clarity and accuracy that - for me - trumps any other aspect.  (The HE-400 are cooler in hot weather, and the Mad Dogs are better when you need isolation.)

Seeing as I listen primarily in my den and that I live in Canada, both isolation and hot weather are non issues (though hot weather wouldn't be a bad problem to have! 
tongue.gif
). 

It's definitely a bit of a toss up but we'll see how the MDs do once they arrive; this said, they're V1s so perhaps I won't be blown away.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,834 of 3,203
Has anyone tried any alternative ear pads for the Mad Dogs 3.2? The angled pads that come with it are uniquely shaped so that might make it a bit difficult. The only ones that might fit its approximate 110 mm by 100 mm driver housing are the 110 mm LCD 2/3 pads.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,835 of 3,203
Some late answers:

* Mad Dogs are not portable headphones.

* They do not work properly with Cmoy amps (and neither do HiFiMan planars).

* They will work directly out of phones, tablets and laptops, but will work better with a DAC and Amp.

* You will want to spend slightly more than the cost of the Mad Dogs, on a DAC and an Amp.

* The upgrade to the Version 3.2 is definitely worth the trouble and cost (but that might depend on extra trouble and cost of shipping from foreign countries).  The pads on the version 3.2 are quite different from Version 2 or 1, they are very thick and enveloping and might be excessively warm in very hot conditions.  (They do have very good isolation as a result.)
I just saw your post after I posted mine (#1847). For our weather here in the tropics the pads are very warm. I wonder about the vegan LCD2 pads as an alternative.

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #1,837 of 3,203
Has anyone tried any alternative ear pads for the Mad Dogs 3.2? The angled pads that come with it are uniquely shaped so that might make it a bit difficult. The only ones that might fit its approximate 110 mm by 100 mm driver housing are the 110 mm LCD 2/3 pads.

AKG K 240/271/272 velours pads will fit. Don't know about the sound though.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,842 of 3,203
LCD frame is really big and circle shaped.  I'm assuming the alpha dog is the same oval shape as the mad dog, and it's not quite as big as the lcd.  I don't see it being a good fit and ruining the seal.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,843 of 3,203

Those are made of animal-free suede, not velour material I think. Completely different.

You are correct.

"A number of you have told us you’d like an alternative to our leather products and we’ve responded by offering a leather-free microsuede (faux suede) option.  The same care and diligence was applied to finding the perfect non-leather material fit for our headphones."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back