**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #676 of 3,203
Preproman, just wondering, if any of those rigs you have there in your sig are annoying you at all... or if you need any space... then I would be more than happy to take them off your hands for you... Always happy to help... I mean that LCD-3 rig for example, must be better things you could use the space for? If you would like to send me that rig, purely just me trying to be helpful and free up some space for you? Maybe if you had less of a selection then you would appreciate the remaining headphones more? Just a thought.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #679 of 3,203
Quote:
Preproman, just wondering, if any of those rigs you have there in your sig are annoying you at all... or if you need any space... then I would be more than happy to take them off your hands for you... Always happy to help... I mean that LCD-3 rig for example, must be better things you could use the space for? If you would like to send me that rig, purely just me trying to be helpful and free up some space for you? Maybe if you had less of a selection then you would appreciate the remaining headphones more? Just a thought.
biggrin.gif

I dont know Nic, are you sure you'd be able to make up your mind  ??  :wink:

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #683 of 3,203
Yup, vintage amps with good headphone out are great with the Maddogs, I have a Sherwood AD2220CP, S2640, S7110A and a NAD Model 60.

The Maddog shines with all of them especially the S7110A where its simply HOLY BASS!! while the rest are more balanced.

I dont see a reason why the Denon and Akai wouldnt perform well as I am on the hunt for vintage Denon myself.

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #684 of 3,203
Quote:
So are these amps any good? I heard a guy say he liked a 99 dollar vintage amp alot with his Maddog.

My Pioneer sx-650 sounds fantastic with the MD. Total cost for the Pioneer? $0 
size]
 Just needed a new cabinet and a little pot cleaning. 

Then I acquired a Sansui 9090db for $150. Cost me 7 hours total in the car in the pouring rain. It was worth every minute of the trouble. It sounds even better than the Pioneer. 
size]
 It needed a little electrical TLC, but now is perfect. 

Vintage amps just have gobs of power which tends to works beautifully with ortho hp's. I was so resistant to this about a year ago when wje tried to convince me how good these old amp/receivers were.  Sorry Wayne...I'll never doubt you again. 
size]

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #685 of 3,203
Yup, vintage amps with good headphone out are great with the Maddogs, I have a Sherwood AD2220CP, S2640, S7110A and a NAD Model 60.

The Maddog shines with all of them especially the S7110A where its simply HOLY BASS!! while the rest are more balanced.

I dont see a reason why the Denon and Akai wouldnt perform well as I am on the hunt for vintage Denon myself.

Just curious, generally speaking are vintage amps' lifespan more affected by use or just time? I think I the Denon pma-320 is quite old, maybe 20 years old or something.

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #686 of 3,203
I'd like to keep this thread geared towards how the vintage amps work with the MD so that we stay on topic. If anyone has questions feel free to pm me. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #687 of 3,203
All my amps have been recapped and fully cleaned including pots therefore age isn't a factor for them. Denon have always had good build quality even today so I would say don't worry about the age.

And now I want a Denon too preferably 1970s or 1980s.

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #688 of 3,203
Vintage amp, tube, or ss state amp, when a headphone is good it is good just about on anything! I have been enjoying the MD for the past 24 hours!

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #689 of 3,203
Sorry I'm in on this specific topic a bit late; I find that vintage stereo equipment is really hit-and-miss when it comes to almost anything, but most vintage gear tends to work well with the MD. I've never tried the Denon that was mentioned, but most old Denon gear I've auditioned with the MD has come off very well, if a little bit on the bright side.

I'm getting my hands on an old (late 60's) Dynaco pre-amp and speaker amp this weekend if I can sell off an old guitar to afford it first. I'll put some photos up when I get it, but I auditioned the pre-amp at a local record/audio shop and really fell in love with its sound signature. The speaker amp comes along with the deal, and will be used to comfortably power my bookshelf Missions.

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #690 of 3,203
In the Maddogs case, a hefty amplifier scales very well. I have been procrastinating on getting the Balanced dogs with ibasso termination as they pair well with the PB2 in single ended and should be even better with balanced mode @2.5w per channel from the PB2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back