**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 29, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2,941 of 3,203
The last Headphones I had before getting the Mad Dogs were the K550. I did never regret to have sold them. They sounded great and are incredible value for the price. I'm not good in describing but the Mad Dog sound just much more musical and natural and that is what I'm after.
The K550 are better in isolation and soundstage and have a strong subbass. And some people like the looks a lot.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2,942 of 3,203
Thanks it think I'm going to prefer the mad dogs. Although it seems after two hours I'm starting to see the k550 open up more with the bass which is a relief!

I have a fiio e17 amp on the way. Do you I think it will drive the MDs well enough?

Rgds,
M-83

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,944 of 3,203

Hi,

I'm still waiting on delivery of my MD's should be here by Thursday hopefully, should've been here yesterday- good old Parcelforce reliable as ever... (!)

I'm delighted with the E17 it has really transformed the AKG K550s actually. I am tempted to use the money I get from returning AKGs towards a Fiio E09k...do you think it will be sound investment or not worth it? I'll be using Surface Pro 3 via USB as main source whilst @ home, but also Nokia Lumina 1520 (no USB OTG sadly so need to use 3.5mm output).  Xbox music is 256kbps I think so decent bit rate.

Thx

Rgds,
M-83

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,945 of 3,203
a brief review of the pro

I had my Mad Dog 3.2s for about 1.5 years and besides some dt770 pro 80s i sold after 2 months and some IEMs at work, they're all I listened to music on. Just got my Pro upgrade back a few days ago and have spent a few hours with them now. Really enjoy the look and feel of the new pad mount system. Mine shipped with 2 dots on each driver, but no felt disks, I was worried about losing the treble with the upgrade, but it's a very very small difference to my ears, I could be making it up. Right up front, yes, you will notice the increased bass. I'm not a seasoned audiophile, but as an enthusiast, the bass sounds better and digs just as deep as the dt770 pro 80s, unless you're just an extreme basshead you're really not going to want more. I feel like the Pros need a little more volume to really start shining, I'm at about 2:30 on the Magni. I don't listen to any edm. I do listen to a lot indie and do love me some over produced electro every now and then, I needed a phone that could hang with acoustic guitars, vocals and also have satisfying bass. 

my go-to test tracks

IAMX - Music People
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQGazjCYgjs
the knife - Heartbeats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcU7gmU1-WQ
bright eyes - bowl of oranges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmiRWwAXexY
first aid kit - to a poet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Yrit1Da1I
sleigh bells - comeback kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wgCEjrjyLQ

Not going to go into a track by track analysis here, just trust me they handle it all, no matter how varied the above tracks are.

If I had to name a con, I'd want more clarity and detail, but that's where the alphas come in.

Dan's customer server is stellar, he replied to any e-mail in less than a few hours. When I'm ready to drop the cash to get the next level of clarity, detail, and sound stage you know where I'm going, but for now I'm enjoying the ride. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #2,946 of 3,203
Anybody that has listened to both LFF Paradox Slant and Mad Dog Pro, can do a comparison?  
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #2,947 of 3,203
I have ordered an Audio-Gd NFB-15 for my Mad Dogs and it should be here Monday if on time!  I read up on JDS O2+ ODAC, Epiphany Audio O2 + ODAC, Magni/Modi Schist stack, E17+E09K, vintage amps- and the Audio -GD NFB-15 won out.

I will let you know my thoughts, although I am not an experienced audiophile I'll try describe best I can. 

I've also got a good mate who can hand-build me a bespoke amp when I've grown out of the NFB-15 in a year or so :)

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,948 of 3,203
Anyone running or heard a mad dog/mdp on a little dot 1+? Tried doing a search and didn't find anything. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #2,949 of 3,203
  Anyone running or heard a mad dog/mdp on a little dot 1+? Tried doing a search and didn't find anything. 

I was considering a little dot, but decided against it early on in my decision-making process.  I settled on an "Audio Gd NFB-15 with tcxo upgrade"... I only received it two days ago, and I'm delighted with it- I am so pleased I went for this setup. The NFB-15 has far more power than O2+ odac & midi/magna etc.  It's smooth, and musical. I get immersed in the music and flow along with it, rather than analyse every level of detail in a clinical way.  It really opens up the soundscape on my Mad Dogs and they sound awesome- and far more open than any other closed headphone I've come across.

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #2,950 of 3,203
what's the balanced pinout for the mad dog pro connector (L+L-R+R-)? an illustration would be great! (guess it's the same as for the mad dog, perhaps even the alpha) thx, btw what kind of connector is it, mini 4 pin xlr or something?

EDIT: seems i found something out it's a
4-pin Hirose connector​

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2,951 of 3,203
  what's the balanced pinout for the mad dog pro connector (L+L-R+R-)? an illustration would be great! (guess it's the same as for the mad dog, perhaps even the alpha) thx, btw what kind of connector is it, mini 4 pin xlr or something?

4-pin Hirose connector​

XLR Male 4 pine-valuconn Male 4 Pin
L+11
L-22
R+33
R-44

The connector is available here.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 23, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,952 of 3,203
Holiday coupons are online.  Through 12/1/14 10% off on orders over $1000 with free shipping worldwide.  Worldwide orders under $1000 get free shipping with coupon 2014free.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 25, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #2,953 of 3,203

4-pin Hirose connector​

XLR Male 4 pine-valuconn Male 4 Pin
L+11
L-22
R+33
R-44

The connector is available here.

i got the mdp cable, but there is no numbering on the outside of the 4pin male or female hirose (or e-valuconn or whatever it is on the mdp's cable/mdp), what are the respective balanced poles of the colors (pins in the pic below +L+R-L-R)? i need the info to re-terminated it correctly (the other end, which is now 4pin trrs balanced to 1/4 se trs), Thx!

picture of the actual 4pin male connector on my mdp's cable:

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2,955 of 3,203
Okay...I haven't visited this thread since April...and what a lot of catching up I had to do!  It looks like the Mad Dog Pro should give me everything I wanted out of the Mad Dog 3.2...so I caved and mailed mine off for the upgrade tonight...dang it!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back