**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #2,792 of 3,203
  How is the instrument separation on the mad dogs? Also, how well do they pair with the Fiio X3? Does it bring out all this headphone have to offer?

I find the instrument separation to be very good, especially for the price point.
Can't help you with the Fiio x3 part, never tried it.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,793 of 3,203
  How is the instrument separation on the mad dogs? Also, how well do they pair with the Fiio X3? Does it bring out all this headphone have to offer?

The x3 is decent with the MD on high gain. It's a pretty good pairing for a portable solution. The MD likes more power and I would never go with the x3 for a home solution. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2,794 of 3,203
I heard these headphones at a local meet and decided that I had to have them.  Of course with me using the AURALiC Vega already I knew that I had a start of a very good system.  Also, having the ODAC I could easily take the whole thing with me if I needed some portable music elsewhere.  The only thing I needed was an amp.  After doing a bunch of looking and listening I decided on the AURALiC Taurus MKII.  

What a fantastic combo!

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #2,795 of 3,203
I think that you posted in the wrong thread. This is the MD thread. 
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #2,796 of 3,203
Oops.  Sorry.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #2,797 of 3,203
And I was wondering if there was a new packaging for the mds. Guess not after all!

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #2,798 of 3,203
And I was wondering if there was a new packaging for the mds. Guess not after all!

Nope, still the boring cheap box. Not that I mind though, cutting down the costs!

Jun 16, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #2,799 of 3,203
Sorry, guys, if all my questions were already answered, but this thread is so gigantic... :wink:

So, I fell in love with the Audeze LCD-2 - 95% of the sound I exactly like (maybe even more, but I auditioned them only for 3 hours).
The problem is that they're open headphones and a bit pricey too. Here and there people were mentioning the Mad Dog as a good closed cans similar to LCD-2.

1. Are the Mad Dogs the way to go?
2. Which version is the current one? Still 3.2?
3. What's the difference between Mad Dog and Mad Dog Pro?
4. Enough juice from iRiver H320 + Fiio E17? LCD-2 sounded great on this configuration.
5. Anyghing else I should be aware of?

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #2,800 of 3,203
Sorry, guys, if all my questions were already answered, but this thread is so gigantic...
wink.gif

So, I fell in love with the Audeze LCD-2 - 95% of the sound I exactly like (maybe even more, but I auditioned them only for 3 hours).
The problem is that they're open headphones and a bit pricey too. Here and there people were mentioning the Mad Dog as a good closed cans similar to LCD-2.

4. Enough juice from iRiver H320 + Fiio E17? LCD-2 sounded great on this configuration.

1. People have told me the Mad Dogs are the way to go if you're looking for the LCD2 but want something closed. The sound quality is probably lower, haven't heard these. Just saying what other people told me.
2. Yes, 3.2 is the current version. 
3. The price, and the Mad Dog Pro is tuned towards EDM (Electronical Dance Music)
4. If the LCD2 works great with it, the Mad Dogs will probably do to. I'm using mine with a FiiO E11 which works OK, but with your setup it will probably work a lot better.
5. Anything else.. Mhm.. Maybe that the pads are lambleather?

If there's anything else you want to know, I'm not an expert on these, but I have used them 10 hours a day for the last 1.5 week, so I can answer the easy questions.

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #2,801 of 3,203
Sorry, guys, if all my questions were already answered, but this thread is so gigantic...
wink.gif

I won't answer your questions individually but I can tell you that I used to own the LCD-2's with a Woo WA2-SE amp and I would say that the MD's (I have the 3.2's) with a competent SS amp - my Lake People G-103 is the best I've heard thus far but even the cheaper Schiit Magni is no slouch - you will get VERY close to the magic of properly amped Audezes.  

Speaking for my own current rigs, I can say that the MDs are a bit darker overall and less liquid in the mids than the Audezes but only by a little.  They are also noticeably lighter and more comfortable.  And as far as isolation goes, I would never in a million years use LCD-2s at work but my MDs have completely taken over my work headphone slot and I couldn't be happier with them in that role.  I tend to use my MDs and HD600s on about a 50/50 basis at home, too.  

The MDs are an absolutely brilliant product, IMO, for anyone who wants the sound of orthos but isn't quite ready to go the Audeze route or who can't do so because of isolation or comfort issues.  And just in general, Mr. Speakers has done a *phenomenal* job making a very meh-sounding can (the Fostex T50RP) into a can that can even play in the same ballpark as the big boys. 

I was very skeptical of the MDs when I bought them - mainly because I held the Audeze sound in such high regard - but I have not regretted my purchase for a second and I'm sure I'll end up upgrading to Alphas at some point.     

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #2,802 of 3,203
Thanks for the feedback.

Now I'm even more curious for the Mad Dog Pro, although I'm not into EDM, but I'm a bit of a basshead. I was expecting, that it would be more fun (V-shaped), but Dan wrote me this: "The Mad Dog Pro has a similar "tone" to the Mad Dog, but a bigger soundstage and faster, tighter bass.  It also has smoother highs". So the question is, does it have the darker tone as the LCD-2? Anybody compared directly the three (Audeze, Mad Dog, Pro)?

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #2,803 of 3,203
Nice, am I correct when assuming these are the most budget planar magnetic headphones out there? I was oblivious to these until very recently. Not sure if they have been asked in this thread, but it would be nice if you could answer the following:

1. How well do they sound out of an un-amped phone?
2. I do have auditioned a pair of Momentum over ears, will you say these are better in SQ?
3. Do you have a cheap amp recommendation for these, possibly under 150$? I am recently eyeing the Schitt Magni, will they deliver enough juice?
4. I do have an iBasso DX90 DAP for portable, can this drive these cans properly or should I look into portable amps? If that's the case then I would be a tad bit disappointed, since the whole point of the DX90 was to get rid of the carrying stack.

Thanks in advance. This was a great discovery.

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #2,804 of 3,203
  Nice, am I correct when assuming these are the most budget planar magnetic headphones out there? I was oblivious to these until very recently. Not sure if they have been asked in this thread, but it would be nice if you could answer the following:

1. How well do they sound out of an un-amped phone?
2. I do have auditioned a pair of Momentum over ears, will you say these are better in SQ?
3. Do you have a cheap amp recommendation for these, possibly under 150$? I am recently eyeing the Schitt Magni, will they deliver enough juice?
4. I do have an iBasso DX90 DAP for portable, can this drive these cans properly or should I look into portable amps? If that's the case then I would be a tad bit disappointed, since the whole point of the DX90 was to get rid of the carrying stack.

Thanks in advance. This was a great discovery.

1) They sound OK, not the best, but it ain't bad.
2) I can't comment on this, only tried them against the on-ear Momentums, and these win by a huge amount. Although I've seen a lot of people prefer these over the over-ears too.
3) Once again, I can't comment on this. I heard the O2 works great with it, but I never tried that. I have a FiiO E11 but that isn't enough to drive them to the max.
4) I think it should work fine, I mean it works with my android xperia phone, so your iBasso should perform better. I've tried them with the Theorem 720 and RXmkII portable amps, they sound amazing with these (although I didn't notice a big difference between the two). But they are rather expensive, 800 and 450 respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back