**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #2,719 of 3,203
Apr 28, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2,720 of 3,203
We don't use the dots and discs on the 3.2, but they work nicely.  You can use the treats on them at any time...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 28, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #2,721 of 3,203
Dan, will the MD price increase affect the price of your Alpha Dogs or the upgrade price from MDs? I kept my MDs for a future upgrade to ADs but I've never had a chance to listen to ADs so I'm a little hesitant, since I don't particularly like the way the soundstage is presented with the MDs and am afraid that this is a driver/pad property instead of a baffle/enclosure property. Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,722 of 3,203
  Dan, will the MD price increase affect the price of your Alpha Dogs or the upgrade price from MDs? I kept my MDs for a future upgrade to ADs but I've never had a chance to listen to ADs so I'm a little hesitant, since I don't particularly like the way the soundstage is presented with the MDs and am afraid that this is a driver/pad property instead of a baffle/enclosure property. Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

The price increase currently is only on the Mad Dog, we're taking a hit on the other products to hold the price.  

The soundstage on the Alpha is completely a different experience from the Mad Dog.  The Pro has a bigger soundstage than the Mad Dog, and the Alpha is bigger than the Pro.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 29, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2,723 of 3,203
Hi, question to all Mad Dog owners:). Would these compliment my DT880's well? I'm looking for something more mid-centric and does vocals (specifically male vocals) better. I would appreciate it if someone could compare the MD's to other mid-fi cans (k701, hd650, dt880).

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2,724 of 3,203
Hi, question to all Mad Dog owners:). Would these compliment my DT880's well? I'm looking for something more mid-centric and does vocals (specifically male vocals) better. I would appreciate it if someone could compare the MD's to other mid-fi cans (k701, hd650, dt880).

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I think these are more than "mid-fi" headphones.  In fact, they're better to my ears than anything I've heard.  Personally I like neutral and that's what the Alpha's are.  Consider yourself warned though...you might buy these and they replace what you own.  :)

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,725 of 3,203

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

In short, yes. The DT880 are analytical and have a hot treble while the Mad Dogs are somewhat laid back with a neutral signature. If you like bass you might want to consider the Pros though, first thing that I noticed with the 3.2s were lack of bass. Not that it doesn't exist but it's on level with the mids and highs where as most phones have a slight emphasis on bass even on 'neutral' phones. It could seem unnatural at first but after a few sessions becomes part of brain burn-in.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,726 of 3,203
  I think these are more than "mid-fi" headphones.  In fact, they're better to my ears than anything I've heard.  Personally I like neutral and that's what the Alpha's are.  Consider yourself warned though...you might buy these and they replace what you own.  :)

He was asking about Mad Dog vs DT880 and comparable, not the Alpha Dogs to which you are referring to.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,727 of 3,203

Lol the Alpha's are too expensive for me, can't afford that :D I was talking about he original Mad Dog.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,728 of 3,203
In short, yes. The DT880 are analytical and have a hot treble while the Mad Dogs are somewhat laid back with a neutral signature. If you like bass you might want to consider the Pros though, first thing that I noticed with the 3.2s were lack of bass. Not that it doesn't exist but it's on level with the mids and highs where as most phones have a slight emphasis on bass even on 'neutral' phones. It could seem unnatural at first but after a few sessions becomes part of brain burn-in.

Thanks for the feedback.
Im not looking for bass to be honest, I've got other headphones that deliver plenty of low end when I'm in the mood. The MD Pro's aren't an option unfortunately as it's a bit too much $$.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #2,730 of 3,203
How are the Mad Dogs with the Ibasso DX50 is it enough to power them alone or will I need an amp?

Personally, I don't find the Mad Dog 3,2's unamped to be very good sounding. I don't have an amp right now, so the mad dog's are just being used unamped. I would say they get drive to barely listenable levels, and I believe that they would benefit from a powerful amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back