**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 8, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #2,656 of 3,203
Dan, I still have yet to ship out my mad dogs for the pro upgrade, but I'm thinking of ordering a 2nd cable already. Just curious though, since these are wired for single ended and balanced, this DOES mean that we can easily switch from a balanced xlr connection and, say, anyone else's single ended system? (and do you do fancy cable braiding? :> ) And does it also mean that some one else's cable won't work with the pro version?

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #2,659 of 3,203
Can anyone comment on how the MD 3.2 sound signature compares to the HD650s?  I currently own MD 3.2's and k701s. I  really like the MDs sound sig but I'm thinking about going to the HD650 because I have no need for a sealed can and I think I would appreciate the openness of the hds.  Coming from k701s the MD are fairly dark and laid back which I like, but its about as colored as I would want.  Are the 650s even more dark than the MD 3.2s?

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #2,660 of 3,203
  Can anyone comment on how the MD 3.2 sound signature compares to the HD650s?  I currently own MD 3.2's and k701s. I  really like the MDs sound sig but I'm thinking about going to the HD650 because I have no need for a sealed can and I think I would appreciate the openness of the hds.  Coming from k701s the MD are fairly dark and laid back which I like, but its about as colored as I would want.  Are the 650s even more dark than the MD 3.2s?

It will all come down to the amp that you use with the 650. It responds impressively with amp and source. On the crack with speedball it's tough to be the 650. For me, on this setup this is NO veil and No lack of sub bass. If you don't need to closed MD, I think that the 650 is a good move. Why not just keep both?

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,661 of 3,203

It will all come down to the amp that you use with the 650. It responds impressively with amp and source. On the crack with speedball it's tough to be the 650. For me, on this setup this is NO veil and No lack of sub bass. If you don't need to closed MD, I think that the 650 is a good move. Why not just keep both?

So is it safe to say they are close to equal in terms of neutrality/coloration?  Would I be correct in saying that in terms of neutrality it would go HD600 > MD3.2 > HD650?  

I noticed that a couple pages back you commented that the MDs with some mods (dog treats I think?) were about the same "darkness" as the hd650s does that mean that stock the MDs are a little brighter?

"Why not just keep both?" short answer is I cant afford it.

I actually bought the MDs based largely on your recommendation.  I just want to say that they have exceeded all of my expectations and I really enjoy listening to them.  I'm just getting the urge to try something new.  The idea of a headphone with the the FR of the MDs and the openness of a open can has me really curious about the 650s.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #2,662 of 3,203
While the hd600 is the more neutral between it and the hd650, I'd say that the 650 more closely resembles the MD in terms of voicing and tone. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #2,667 of 3,203
  I like the pilot pad better but its not by a lot. it gets hotter than the dog strap but is more soft on the head.

Wow, good deal Grizz. I'd be tempted if I didn't have the 3.2s already

http://www.head-fi.org/t/713135/mad-dog-pro-two-day-sale

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #2,668 of 3,203
Dan, I still have yet to ship out my mad dogs for the pro upgrade, but I'm thinking of ordering a 2nd cable already. Just curious though, since these are wired for single ended and balanced, this DOES mean that we can easily switch from a balanced xlr connection and, say, anyone else's single ended system? (and do you do fancy cable braiding? :> ) And does it also mean that some one else's cable won't work with the pro version?

Sorry, didn't see this.  A balanced headphone is universal, it will work with a single ended amp, provided the cable is correctly wired.  However, a single ended headphone won't work with some balanced amps, like a Mjolnir, that requires 4 active channels.   So yeah, if you own a Pro, it will work with anything you can plug it into.  

Cable braiding and DIY has a huge thread, I'd go there for braiding information, there are simple tricks to it...   Lastly, there are a number of third parties making cables for our phones now, most of the usual suspects produce them.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 10, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,670 of 3,203
If you would upgrade the mad dog pro to an alpha dog, would the price difference to upgrade be $150.

It will have to be more than that but right now it's not on the radar.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back