**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 12, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #2,401 of 3,203
Mar 12, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2,402 of 3,203
The fit on the MDP seems to be better for me. Maybe it's just luck of the draw as there will be some variance however small pair to pair. I haven't been able to spend much time listening since I received because of work, but starting Thursday I'll have some time off. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #2,403 of 3,203

Dan - is the wiring on the Mad Dog Pro the same as on the Mad Dog Universal ?   And so, use the same cables ?

If so, will there be a Universal-to-Pro upgrade that only adds the new baffle (and tuning) and allows the customer to just hold onto their existing cable for use with the Pro ?

Yes, yes and yes, I will post that tomorrow.

I know you are really busy, but I am eager to hear the Pro (and the Universal-to-Pro upgrade should be easier than the MD-to-Pro upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif
), so I am hoping that upgrade can appear on the web site soon !

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,404 of 3,203
So I just pulled the trigger on the MD PRO and will also be getting another ZMF modd
I know they all wont stay here but I will have at one time. MD3.2, MD Pro, ZMF V.2 Alo cryo copper, ZMF V.2 alo cryo silver. Thats 4 different mods of the same driver. I know I should try a paradox or alpha but the bass will most definitely be to shy for my liking. 

I was looking for some more information on the PRO before buying them but had to skim through this thead. That can be a bit tedious. I was hoping that someone more reputable than myself could start a new thread about the pro. I would but forgot to calculate the cable and am broke and wondering if I should start it without any impressions and no cable lol
frown.gif
 . I could do it later i guess.... I am just thinking out loud.

Reasons for new thread:

- I dont want the idea of the 3.2 to become obscured because of the overwhelming attention to the Pro on this thread.

- The Pro is going to go back up in price after this month (399.00) so the positive is that it will make the 3.2 the affordable option especially since you have to buy a cable for the pro so that will be 460.00 so it affords its own tier and thread to separate it. 

- make it easier to find information/impressions on the pro specifically.

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #2,405 of 3,203
I guess that I could start a Pro thread since I'm one of the first owners. I don't want to be an OP hog though. I've been listening to the Pro a little each evening and am planning to share some extended impressions soon. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #2,406 of 3,203
  I guess that I could start a Pro thread since I'm one of the first owners. I don't want to be an OP hog though. I've been listening to the Pro a little each evening and am planning to share some extended impressions soon. 

awesome. 

I need the freaking cable and didnt budget for it. bought the hp without it! wack!! too many bills

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #2,407 of 3,203

The Pro is really a new version of the Universal (the latter being the version of the Mad Dog that allows optional balanced use).  It has all the same wiring, connectors and cables of the Universal, and the web site has simply changed "Universal" to "Pro" in many places.

So, I don't think that a new thread is needed, it just makes things more complicated (just like the Mad Dog amp thread did not end up clarifying anything

It's good to have Pro discussion in this Mad Dog thread, so that people know it exists (I often find out about new releases because of mentions in other threads).

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2,409 of 3,203
It's out for delivery today! Will be driving it off my Emotiva mini-x and Bifrost. 
L3000.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,410 of 3,203
Well it certainly i
The Pro is really a new version of the Universal (the latter being the version of the Mad Dog that allows optional balanced use).  It has all the same wiring, connectors and cables of the Universal, and the web site has simply changed "Universal" to "Pro" in many places.

So, I don't think that a new thread is needed, it just makes things more complicated (just like the Mad Dog amp thread did not end up clarifying anything

It's good to have Pro discussion in this Mad Dog thread, so that people know it exists (I often find out about new releases because of mentions in other threads).

It is good to discuss here

But what you say and what mr speakers website says is totally dif. That would mean that the universal is to be the middle ground between the md and alpha as well sonically. I stand by my reasons even if I start it and it fails. I think my reasons are valid. I doubt the universal will sound a lot dif than the 3.2 where as the pro is advertised to sound dif and the universal is not.

The universal will be obsolete the 3.2 wont.

Since I will have both at the same time I can give impressions of the differences.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,413 of 3,203
  I'm thinking about doing the Pro upgrade on my MD Universals.  Is the upgrade price the same for upgrading the universals rather than the regular unbalanced version? 

The upgrade option is now listed, it's $60 (as you already have the right cable).  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back