**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 11, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #2,386 of 3,203
A quick question to Dan or anyone else: would the Mad Dog Pro deliver an improvement over the standard 3.2's for classical music (especially orchestral), non electronic jazz and similar? I note the reference to EDM in the product description but do not see reference to these and other genres. Many thanks!

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #2,388 of 3,203
A quick question to Dan or anyone else: would the Mad Dog Pro deliver an improvement over the standard 3.2's for classical music (especially orchestral), non electronic jazz and similar? I note the reference to EDM in the product description but do not see reference to these and other genres. Many thanks!

I'd leave it to others to answer but most of the Pros that have shipped are still in the mail.  To my ear it does a better job on pretty much all source material.  I emphasized EDM because I get that question more than any other but we really do try to make all our phones good all-around instruments. 

The increase in clarity and bigger soundstage create a much better sense of being "in the hall" than the Mad Dog.  Tonally they are both a bit warm but the Pro is faster for transients (plucked strings, etc) and cleaner for a more detailed and natural presentation.  Double bass and tympani are detailed, solid and rather fun.

Hopelessly biased, I'm sure, so hopefully a few others will chime in later this week.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,389 of 3,203
Ugh. USPS is slacking. Ordered on Friday and it still hasn't moved according to the tracker. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #2,390 of 3,203
I got quite lucky on the shipping. I've been cooking the MDP all day while at work. Just put them on and cranked up the lyr. Man these are good. Listening to a new group I recently discovered called Brown Bird. They are indie folk I guess. The acoustic bass is rocking my sock off. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #2,391 of 3,203
  Ugh. USPS is slacking. Ordered on Friday and it still hasn't moved according to the tracker. 

Yours are ready for shipping today.  The tracker is generated when we print the label but we weren't ready to ship most until today.  They should update tonight and all the back orders should be cleared.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2,392 of 3,203

Yours are ready for shipping today.  The tracker is generated when we print the label but we weren't ready to ship most until today.  They should update tonight and all the back orders should be cleared.

Understood, thanks for clearing that up! I thought that you had dropped it off on Friday and USPS had been picking their nose since then. It was more an issue of principle; I shall patiently wait for them to arrive!

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2,393 of 3,203

Mad Dog Pro's!? I've been out of touch with the Head-Fi community the last few months due to work, etc. but I come back to see that there's a "middle of the road" Mad Dog that might be worth the upgrade from my Mad Dogs w/Alpha pads. I was considering a set of open headphones to complement the Mad Dogs but now it seems as if I don't need to get another pair, just upgrade what I have.

I just placed my order, but Dan, do I need to send you my Mad Dogs to get the Pros (I'm assuming so)? I don't need a different cable, just the small (regular) cable that I have with the Mad Dogs.

Looking forward to the improved sound!

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #2,395 of 3,203

Mad Dog Pro's!? I've been out of touch with the Head-Fi community the last few months due to work, etc. but I come back to see that there's a "middle of the road" Mad Dog that might be worth the upgrade from my Mad Dogs w/Alpha pads. I was considering a set of open headphones to complement the Mad Dogs but now it seems as if I don't need to get another pair, just upgrade what I have.

I just placed my order, but Dan, do I need to send you my Mad Dogs to get the Pros (I'm assuming so)? I don't need a different cable, just the small (regular) cable that I have with the Mad Dogs.

Looking forward to the improved sound!

The Mad Dog Pros updates them to a balanced configuration, so the old Mad Dog cables do not work, which is why the upgrade comes with the cable.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #2,396 of 3,203
  I got quite lucky on the shipping. I've been cooking the MDP all day while at work. Just put them on and cranked up the lyr. Man these are good. Listening to a new group I recently discovered called Brown Bird. They are indie folk I guess. The acoustic bass is rocking my sock off. 
biggrin.gif

Wow, Brown Bird is good...Thanks for the heads up on them!

I just ordered my Mad Dog Pro upgrade so am looking forward to hearing the improvement over the "regular" Mad Dogs.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2,397 of 3,203
Yes, when you order ship your phones with your purchase receipt in the box and send them to:

MrSpeakers
3366 Kurtz Street, Suite 200
San Diego, CA 92110

Users who are viewing this thread

Back