**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #2,371 of 3,203
  I see the MDP as a good fit for me. I can be a little rough on hp's and the MD seems to be about as rugged as they come. They'll also save a little weight over the AD plus I'll be able to use a lightweight custom cable with them to save even a little more weight. The only question is how they'll sound. 

Postman should be here in about an hour. 

Nice. You seem to be up to date with all the latest releases :wink: Looking forward to reading your impressions.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,372 of 3,203
Sexy pic:

Weight is 423 grams for those who are interested. I will post some impressions this evening.

The weight of the MDP with my custom cable is able lighter than the original MD with stock cable, even though the MDP is heavier by 33 grams.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,374 of 3,203
Here are a few brief impressions on the Mad Dog Pro that I received today. Oddly enough it's signature is pretty much where Dan describes it...between the Mad Dog 3.2 and the Alpha. It's immediately appearent when you put on the Mad Dog Pro that you've got a different signature than the Mad Dog 3.2. It sounds more "finished" than the MD 3.2 and more natural. My initial impression is that it has a signature closer to the Alpha Dog than the MD 3.2 This is just what I was hoping for. 

The bass really hits the sweet spot for me. It gives up a bit of texture and tightness to the Alpha Dog but offers more weight and slam without ever getting sloppy. The decay is impressive and considerably better than the MD 3.2. Daft Punk sounds tremedous with these, but so does the new Beck album which has a heavy bass line. Pat Metheny: Kin was tremedous on the MDP. 

Mids are smooth and natural. I would have to say that the mids are a little closer to the MD 3.2 than the Alpha. So if you are serious about vocal centric music then the Alpha may be the better option. I listened to several jazz vocalist to test the mids...Diana Krall, Patricia Barber and KD Lang. The MDP reproduces vocals nicely with little noticeble grain or unnaturalness....just not as lifelike as the Alpha. I listen to a considerable amount of female jazz vocalist and the MDP left me impressed. 

And finally on to the treble. The part of the signature is always a real sticking point for me because I have always been sensitive to bright/harsh treble. I actually liked the treble best on the MDP, even over the Alpha. It has qualities of both smooth and detailed without ever sounding strident. I never picked up any silibance even on material I know to be harsh and bright. The treble is a breath of fresh air for me on the MDP. The Alpha was a little edgy on the treble for me. Please note that Dan tuned this MDP using the new Obedience kit and when I owned the Alpha it did not have the kit. 

Okay, that's all for now. I need to go through my battery of test tracks and gives these Dogs a real workout!! 

Thanks so much for the quick shipping Dan and a fine hp. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #2,376 of 3,203
Good grief man, the m50 was like the second hp I bought. Look at my feedback. That was several dozen hp's ago. 

Well, to the best of my recollection...the m50 was quite loose and boomy compared to the MDP. The bass on the Pro is audiophile quality getting dangerously close to my favorite sub bass hp of all time. 
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,378 of 3,203
The treble is smoothed because we have included the tuning dot from the Alpha in the MDP.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 10, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,379 of 3,203
The comfort strap seems shortened slightly. I like the fit of the pads and the attachment. Now if the sliders were powder coated black. Then she'd have some real sex appeal. 
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,380 of 3,203
Thanks for the impressions Matt, sounds pretty awesome. Pretty keen now haha.

Any chance you can compare them to any other PMs like the HE400 or 500? Cheers :)

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #2,381 of 3,203
Matt, how would you compare specifically bass impact between the MD32., MDP, Alpha Dog, and the HE500? I just got a newly acquired pair of HE500s in and while I only gave them a very short demo (need to de-stinkify them), the bass response was much more agreeable to my ears than the Mad Dogs. I think I might still be having some issues with sealing with the Alpha Pads on the MD3.2s, or subbass below ~60hz is just lower than I'm used to.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,382 of 3,203
All in good time. I need to sink my teeth into them for a day and really get to know them. Try them on a few different amps and do some critical listening. One things for certain, the MDP makes listening to music a lotta fun. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #2,383 of 3,203
  Matt, how would you compare specifically bass impact between the MD32., MDP, Alpha Dog, and the HE500? I just got a newly acquired pair of HE500s in and while I only gave them a very short demo (need to de-stinkify them), the bass response was much more agreeable to my ears than the Mad Dogs. I think I might still be having some issues with sealing with the Alpha Pads on the MD3.2s, or subbass below ~60hz is just lower than I'm used to.

I'd say that in general the HE-500's have a bloomier bass response that's just different from the cleaner, linear bass that characterizes the MD. It's great, and it's what gives the HE-500 its smooth timbre. You might just prefer that character more, but I'm just speculating, of course.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #2,384 of 3,203
Dan - is the wiring on the Mad Dog Pro the same as on the Mad Dog Universal ?   And so, use the same cables ?

If so, will there be a Universal-to-Pro upgrade that only adds the new baffle (and tuning) and allows the customer to just hold onto their existing cable for use with the Pro ?

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #2,385 of 3,203
Dan - is the wiring on the Mad Dog Pro the same as on the Mad Dog Universal ?   And so, use the same cables ?

If so, will there be a Universal-to-Pro upgrade that only adds the new baffle (and tuning) and allows the customer to just hold onto their existing cable for use with the Pro ?

Yes, yes and yes, I will post that tomorrow.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back