**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #2,296 of 3,203
  I'm curious if there's any way to tune up the bass like the Alpha Dogs.
I love almost everything about my Mad Dogs 3.2 except that I find the bass slam lacking in electronic genres (of which I primarily listen). 
I'm pairing mine with an iBasso D6. Would a more powerful amp help in this regard?

I am enjoying EDM much more since I've bought Vali to use with my Mad Dogs. Honestly, I didn't know MD was capable of such bass levels, until I paired it with Vali. But then again, this is not basshead kind of bass, and I don't think MD could ever be transformed into basshead headphone.

HRT microStreamer is used as an input to Vali. This is my work setup, nothing fancy :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #2,297 of 3,203

I'm curious if there's any way to tune up the bass like the Alpha Dogs.
I love almost everything about my Mad Dogs 3.2 except that I find the bass slam lacking in electronic genres (of which I primarily listen). 
I'm pairing mine with an iBasso D6. Would a more powerful amp help in this regard?

I am enjoying EDM much more since I've bought Vali to use with my Mad Dogs. Honestly, I didn't know MD was capable of such bass levels, until I paired it with Vali. But then again, this is not basshead kind of bass, and I don't think MD could ever be transformed into basshead headphone.

HRT microStreamer is used as an input to Vali. This is my work setup, nothing fancy :)

I also use a Vali with my Mad Dogs for EDM.  I do find the bass response on the Vali to be better than the Magni (for example).

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #2,298 of 3,203

Quote:
  I also use a Vali with my Mad Dogs for EDM.  I do find the bass response on the Vali to be better than the Magni (for example).

I wouldn't call myself a basshead, but, especially after comparing them with an ATH-M50, there's some bass to be desired.

I should have mentioned that I'm most interested in a portable amp/setup. Ideally I'd like to use a portable for home too as my current home amp source (a Saffire Pro audio interface) is even weaker than the D6, but I'll take a look at the Vali.

I guess I'm asking if there's a portable amp that can drive the bass enough to where it matches the bass presence of an ATH-M50 (or similar bass-range cans), and if not, is there any kind of mod/tuning to be done that could bring it to this level(?).

EDIT

Ah I found the search thread button and found other people have had similar impressions in this thread. Currently going through them.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #2,299 of 3,203
  I was almost ready to order Mad Dog plus Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround non-pro to game competitively, then mr eleventy told me i shouldnt need a dac or amp but murder mike said MD's would benefit greatly from using one and recommended me to come here. So here i am :)

What do you guys think?

if you're going to game I'd say order one of the creative Z series cards that has a built in amp, I'm using the mad dogs with a ZXR right now and they sound amazing

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,300 of 3,203
Anyone have experience with shipping to Canada?
What's the surcharge like? These run for 300$ but if I end up having to pay any extra 60-80$ I might have to look elsewhere.
Thanks all 
happy_face1.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #2,302 of 3,203
Mar 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,303 of 3,203
Well, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Mad Dogs today and anxiously await their arrival.  I purchased Denon AH-D600 a couple months back and in addition to the boomy bass and recessed mids, they were too big and sloppy on my head and I sent them back.  Then I picked up the NAD HP50 and listened to those (with much joy) for the last month.  Alas, I have to send the NAD’s back.  The sound is exquisite, I absolutely love it, they are just too uncomfortable to keep.  They pinch too hard right below my ears and fatigue my jaw.  I find when listening for long periods of time I am constantly playing with the fit to make them comfortable and they just aren’t.  I have a jaw/headache when I take them off.  I am really bummed because they sound so nice.  I am not panning these to be a prick, I am hoping NAD will see my comments and take action to correct this fit issue.  So I am giving the Mad Dogs a try.  Same price, same rave reviews.  Comfort appears to be stressed with the Mad Dogs, so hopefully I won’t be disappointed.  

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,304 of 3,203
  Well, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Mad Dogs today and anxiously await their arrival.  I purchased Denon AH-D600 a couple months back and in addition to the boomy bass and recessed mids, they were too big and sloppy on my head and I sent them back.  Then I picked up the NAD HP50 and listened to those (with much joy) for the last month.  Alas, I have to send the NAD’s back.  The sound is exquisite, I absolutely love it, they are just too uncomfortable to keep.  They pinch too hard right below my ears and fatigue my jaw.  I find when listening for long periods of time I am constantly playing with the fit to make them comfortable and they just aren’t.  I have a jaw/headache when I take them off.  I am really bummed because they sound so nice.  I am not panning these to be a prick, I am hoping NAD will see my comments and take action to correct this fit issue.  So I am giving the Mad Dogs a try.  Same price, same rave reviews.  Comfort appears to be stressed with the Mad Dogs, so hopefully I won’t be disappointed.  

Just FYI - the Mad Dog can be adjusted and MrSpeakers has a video online that shows how...

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,306 of 3,203
Two questions about the Mad Dogs.  How long does it usually take to ship/receive?  I haven't heard a word from Mr. Speakers yet. Also, which $100-$200 portable amp will drive them best?  I have my eye on the Fiio E12 and the JDS Labs C5.  Are there better ones out there for the same price with the same portability that make these cans shine?

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #2,307 of 3,203
Mad Dogs are in stock and ship right away.  The balanced Mad Dogs had a short delay but are all shipping today for the back orders.  Shipping within the US usually takes 3-4 days, if the order came after our daily cutoff for shipping.

FYI, we're rebuilding our store so we'll have an integrated shipping system that does a better job of notifications than PayPal (who handles our processing).  PayPal only sends shipping notices if you used an email when purchasing that is registered with PayPal (even if you paid by credit card) and even then their notification is flakey.  The shop updates should be live in April.

The new system will also include an option for Fedex shipping.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,308 of 3,203
We have a new phone out, the Mad Dog Pro.  It's an update to the balanced phone, using the Alpha Dog's baffle assembly.  It's another all 'rounder, but it's particularly fun for EDM.

It has the frequency response of the Mad Dog, e.g. a nice bump to the bass, but it throws in some of the improved soundstage, speed and transparency of the Alpha. For perspective, the bass has the frequency response of the Mad Dog, but it's faster and cleaner, so the sound is more articulate and the sub-bass pops out more clearly.   The soundstage and transparency pretty much fall right between the Mad Dog and the Alpha, doing really nicely for a closed headphone.  You won't ever mistake it for the Alpha, but you wouldn't mistake it for the Mad Dog, either.  It also looks really nice, as the Alpha's pad mounting system creates a cleaner mount and a nicer line. 

All the phones that were in house for upgrades to balanced have shipped today and are built to the new spec.  Because it's a more involved upgrade the price will be higher, but as an intro special, new orders and upgrades will be at the original Balanced Mad Dog price. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #2,310 of 3,203
Nope, this is a product between the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog.  It's the update to our Balanced/Universal product.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back