**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #2,221 of 3,203
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about buying some Mad Dog headphones and I have a question, how do these work with a Fiio e11? I will be saving up for a better amp in the future but will the e11 work for now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Silent. 
smile.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,222 of 3,203
  Hey everyone,

I am thinking about buying some Mad Dog headphones and I have a question, how do these work with a Fiio e11? I will be saving up for a better amp in the future but will the e11 work for now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Silent. 
smile.gif

Do you have the E11 already? I would atleast buy the e12. I had the e17 which has a similar output as the e11, and the e12 sounded much better to my ears.

The e11 works but it is far from optimal imo.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,224 of 3,203

Yes, I already have the e11. I was just wondering if they would work for the moment while I look for a more suitable amp. 

Yeah, it will work, but like I stated above it wont be optimal. By optimal I mean it wont get the widest sound stage, reach the best details, and the bass might be more present and uncontrolled. However it should drive them to a decent volume level, and it should sound hell of a lot better than just driving them out of an ipod.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2,225 of 3,203

Yes, I already have the e11. I was just wondering if they would work for the moment while I look for a more suitable amp. 

I was just talking about this in the amp recommendation thread, but I'm currently using an E12 Mont Blanc with my Mad Dogs, and I really enjoy the pairing. The amp does give it a warmer sound and closes off the soundstage a little bit, but it still sounds really nice. It also has a lot of power to push the mad dogs, even at higher volumes. I'd say the E12 is definitely worth checking out at it's price-point.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,226 of 3,203
  Yeah, it will work, but like I stated above it wont be optimal. By optimal I mean it wont get the widest sound stage, reach the best details, and the bass might be more present and uncontrolled. However it should drive them to a decent volume level, and it should sound hell of a lot better than just driving them out of an ipod.

Thanks for the reply, I will also be using these with my receiver as well at home. I won't be using the e11 all the time but I am glad to hear that they will work until I get a better amp. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #2,227 of 3,203

I was just talking about this in the amp recommendation thread, but I'm currently using an E12 Mont Blanc with my Mad Dogs, and I really enjoy the pairing. The amp does give it a warmer sound and closes off the soundstage a little bit, but it still sounds really nice. It also has a lot of power to push the mad dogs, even at higher volumes. I'd say the E12 is definitely worth checking out at it's price-point.

How much stronger is the E12 compared to the E11? 

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #2,228 of 3,203

How much stronger is the E12 compared to the E11? 

It's definitely a step up, but if you already have the E11 I'd consider making a larger step when you upgrade. Think something like a mid-range Schiit, if it doesn't need to be portable.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #2,229 of 3,203
  I would love to listen to music with my Mad Dogs paired with the WA6.  From what I have read about that Woo amp, it seems like it would be an excellent pairing, in the same way the Schiit Lyr makes these headphones shine.

I love country, but Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, and early Statler Brothers era coutry.

I had a WA6SE that I used for my Audezes.  I'm sure the regular WA6 is a different animal but that SE made the LCD-2's sing like no other amp I tried. 

I've had the WA6 for a few years and have thoroughly enjoyed it.  To be honest, I just got lucky in choosing it because I don't understand the specs of these electronic devices.

sonitus mirus, I have enjoyed much of the music recorded by Emmylou Harris.  I don't like the real twangy stuff, but I like her vocals.  If you're ever in the Houston area, you're welcome to come to my home and listen to the WA6.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #2,230 of 3,203
sonitus mirus, I have enjoyed much of the music recorded by Emmylou Harris.  I don't like the real twangy stuff, but I like her vocals.  If you're ever in the Houston area, you're welcome to come to my home and listen to the WA6.

I also don't really get all that into twangy guitar, but some of Emmylou Harris's collaborative work with Mark Knopfler is really nice.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2,232 of 3,203
  Is there a big difference in sound running them SE vs balanced (upgrading to the Universal version)?

Whether balanced is better than single ended is a function of the amp circuit.  You can have good or bad balanced amps, just like you can have good or bad single ended.  A good single ended can compare to a good balanced, it's not like one topology will always win out.   The universal does use nicer cables and jacks.  I'll let others comment on the sonics of that, as I have an obvious bias.  :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,233 of 3,203

Whether balanced is better than single ended is a function of the amp circuit.  You can have good or bad balanced amps, just like you can have good or bad single ended.  A good single ended can compare to a good balanced, it's not like one topology will always win out.   The universal does use nicer cables and jacks.  I'll let others comment on the sonics of that, as I have an obvious bias.  :)

Ahh I see. Any comments with regards to the ALO RX MK3?

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #2,234 of 3,203
  Is there a big difference in sound running them SE vs balanced (upgrading to the Universal version)?

I am quoting what I experienced with my universal (balanced) version versus regulard single ended on my audio-gd amp:

I just thought I would drop in with a quick note. I have been listening and burning in both my new balanced Mad Dogs 3.2 and my NFB-28. I recently switched back and plugged in my original Single Ended (1/4") Mad Dogs v3.2 to my new NFB-28.

I have only compared it with one song that I am really in love with (so I know alot of the cues and different parts of the song to look forward to) and what I immediately notice is that the single-ended version sounds a little bit dark, sort of cramped, or closed in whereas the balanced version sounds wider, having more room for minor details to be heard. I am not sure if this is what you guys refer to as a wider soundstage, but that was my impression. I am definitely thinking about an all balanced setup from now on, and will most likely be upgrading my single ended version of the Mad Dogs to the balanced version of the Alpha Dogs or something else.

Oh, also the bass is more present on the balanced version. I believe it is subtle, but noticeable. I will do more listening now that I was able to steal my single ended Mad dogs back from my fiancee 
smile.gif

EDIT: Had my fiancee listened to both and she can definitely hear a difference. Her words for the single ended version were "sounds muffled" and "I didn't realize something could sound better than these"

EDIT: I should also mentioned that I did compare with my Schiit Magni/Modi at the time that only offers single-ended. It may not have been a fair comparison, but our opinions did not change.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #2,235 of 3,203
The key thing to remember is that when you test a balanced amp in single-ended mode, THAT will often result in the balanced sounding better because the circuit is likely optimized for balanced use and single ended is the "for free" feature they can add.  I've heard that effect as well on some amps with dual mode outputs (and some I've not heard a material difference).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back