**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #1,411 of 3,203
Quote:
I forgot to say thank you for your kind comment.
I do believe that that's what Head-Fi is all about.

Group hug? Seriously, though - there are a lot of very thoughtful and generous people on here, which is why, given the state of the world, we need to start our own country. I don't even think we would need a prison system - just confiscate gear and put them in "time out" for a couple of weeks. Anyways, back to Mad Dogs...I'm still on the lookout for a pair of 3.2s...

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #1,413 of 3,203
If you can wait a few weeks I have an amp being built by a gentleman here on head-fi. After trying out many portable and compact desktop amps I wanted to see what the diy community could build me, especially since I was looking for something so custom.

keep me posted with a PM if you remember

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #1,414 of 3,203
  ya mean the part about getting banned twice?
L3000.gif

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #1,415 of 3,203
An amp that flies a little under the radar is this simple tube amp: Rock'n Glass from Zigis Audio Lab.
It's very powerful. It can even drive small 8 ohm loudspeakers near computer at medium volume.

I like it a lot with my ZMF, and I suppose it'll be a good match with the Mad Dog as well.
Zigis is also a Headfi-er.

The amp is based of the concept in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/402067/a-super-simple-6dj8-headphone-amp

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,416 of 3,203
Quote:
An amp that flies a little under the radar is this simple tube amp: Rock'n Glass from Zigis Audio Lab.
It's very powerful. It can even drive small 8 ohm loudspeakers near computer at medium volume.

I like it a lot with my ZMF, and I suppose it'll be a good match with the Mad Dog as well.
Zigis is also a Headfi-er.

The amp is based of the concept in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/402067/a-super-simple-6dj8-headphone-amp

Have you done a comparison of the ZMF and the Mad Dog? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two if you have time.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,417 of 3,203
Quote:
Have you done a comparison of the ZMF and the Mad Dog? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two if you have time.

No, never heard the Mad Dog.
The two people who have heard both that I know of are Zach himself, and paradoxper.
The latter found the Mad Dog superior to the ZMF. See: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644634/paradox-and-mad-dog-comparison/60#post_9689173

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #1,418 of 3,203
I'm looking for leather ear pads for PRO900. Does Mad Dog have it?

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #1,419 of 3,203
I'm looking for leather ear pads for PRO900. Does Mad Dog have it?

If you are asking if the ear pads from the Mad Dog are good candidates for your Pro900, the answer is yes but it's not a direct and easy swap. I did it using the Alpha pads by taking the stock Pro900 snap lock pads and cutting off the velour pad, then gluing on the Alpha pad to the base. Worked great and I feel improved the comfort and sound of the Pro900.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #1,420 of 3,203
Quote:
If you are asking if the ear pads from the Mad Dog are good candidates for your Pro900, the answer is yes but it's not a direct and easy swap. I did it using the Alpha pads by taking the stock Pro900 snap lock pads and cutting off the velour pad, then gluing on the Alpha pad to the base. Worked great and I feel improved the comfort and sound of the Pro900.

Thanks a lot. Will try it.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #1,421 of 3,203
So my Mad Dogs arrived yesterday (FAST shipping, I ordered them Friday around noon central).  I feel like they're a little bass light but I'm not sure if its my overall setup or the headphones themselves and other changes wouldn't matter.

My setup is an iMac with a Modi/Magni stack.  Files vary but all are at least iTunes + quality.  Music varies from current pop/hip-hop/rap to singer songwriter type of stuff to older rock, jazz and blues.  I don't really listen to classical, heavy metal, or any of the electronica based genres. 

I don't consider myself a basshead but maybe I am.  I like bass to be tight, low distortion, and controlled.  I've always demanded high quality subwoofers like SVS, DIY infinite baffle, etc. in my stereo system.  I expected the Mad Dogs to have a little, but not a lot more bass than my Sennheiser HD 449s but instead I feel like the Senns might have a little more bass than the Mad Dogs. 

I left them running over night and today while I'm at work at a moderate volume with pink noise and will listen some more tonight.  I guess the only feedback I'm looking for is if people have felt like the bass response improves in quantity while not degrading in quality with a higher end amp.  If the answer is no, I might be a candidate for a return.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #1,423 of 3,203
I like the sonic character of the bass that IS there, but I feel there just isn't enough.  I don't like boomy, bloomy, tubby bass.  But I want a more visceral impact.  Maybe I'm a candidate for a return and will need to look elsewhere.  I'll see if anyone else has any input.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,424 of 3,203
How powerful is the Magni? I know that both of my headphones have better bass and more bass impact with my Pioneer than they did with the E17 alone. I'm blaming it on the Pioneer having a ton more power. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,425 of 3,203
I like the sonic character of the bass that IS there, but I feel there just isn't enough.  I don't like boomy, bloomy, tubby bass.  But I want a more visceral impact.  Maybe I'm a candidate for a return and will need to look elsewhere.  I'll see if anyone else has any input.

Well I am a confirmed basshead and I had the exact same experience you are having right now. And ended up sending them back. Great sounding headphones to be sure not enough bass for me. I'm hoping that somehow someway the Alpha dog has that bass that I'm missing but I'm skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back