MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,626 of 2,843
I got my new ether delivered yesterday, but I am just wondering if it is version 1 or 1.1. I think some people have mentioned that the new version says v1.1 on the box. I don't see it anywhere. Is it a sticker on the box? Is it printed on the box? Would someone share a picture of the box showing the "v1.1"?  

It's on the sticker, at the end of the serial number, like this:

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #2,627 of 2,843
A good amount of talk of the Mjolnir 2, little of the Mjolnir 1; with what there is of the latter not very positive.

The Mjolnir 1 arrives tomorrow. Just wondering what I am in for.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #2,629 of 2,843
A good amount of talk of the Mjolnir 2, little of the Mjolnir 1; with what there is of the latter not very positive.

The Mjolnir 1 arrives tomorrow. Just wondering what I am in for.
Well I'll just go ahead and reply to my own question if just to capture it in the archive. The amp/hp pair fairs quite well imo. Well worth the clearance price of admission ($500).

Right now driving the amp single ended from an Arcam CD92. Now, with brick wall compressed CDs of recent times, I had an experience with the Ether I never had before. I turned the music down ... then stopped the playback ... lol.

But with phenomenally recorded CDs, meaning my HDCD collection thru a phenomenal HDCD player (SACDS and DVD-As are at my other address at the moment), it brings everything out of the Ether that it has to offer.

BUT, this amp is brutally honest, uncolored, and uncongested in its drive of the Ether. If the player, and source material is not up to par, you'll notice, and probably not like it!

This becomes the most evident on something like the City of Angels sountrack. It's made of various great remastered HDCD tracks, that I must have listend to 100 times or more. The quality of each track contrasted to the next was never more prevalent to me than with this setup. You hear exactly what's in the recording, clearly, and nothing is made up, sharpened, softened, or masked.

Fantastic, if you like that sort of thing.

May 4, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #2,630 of 2,843
Recently got the Ether's with DUM cable in order to replace my LCD2 Rev 2 (which the left channel had died for the third time now.) I honestly don't know all the detail or jargon all I can say is I do like the headphones. I am running them with a Yulong Sabre d18 and Burson Soloist amp. If there are other recommendations for dac/amp combo with the headphones more than glad to take suggestions.

May 4, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #2,631 of 2,843
Bursons new V2+ is getting good reviews jump on and ask if they have ETHERS.
I am running mine off an OPPO HA1, now I cleaned the internals it's opened up the sound to a new level for me.
You do need the burn in time for the Ether to open up.
Dan show cases the Ether with the SCHITT high ends..

Do try the other option available with the ETHERS pads and foams..

Oh Gratz on the buy... There is a lot of options just enjoy Dan's work of art..

Good luck my friend
Dave

May 4, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #2,632 of 2,843
Posted on the wrong thread lmao. Seemed to skimmed through my subscription list previously incorrectly. But guys I do recommend trying out "Imagine the Fire" from the Dark Knight Rises soundtrack on the Ethers. Mad good.

May 4, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #2,633 of 2,843
  Recently got the Ether's with DUM cable in order to replace my LCD2 Rev 2 (which the left channel had died for the third time now.) I honestly don't know all the detail or jargon all I can say is I do like the headphones. I am running them with a Yulong Sabre d18 and Burson Soloist amp. If there are other recommendations for dac/amp combo with the headphones more than glad to take suggestions.

There are lots of great choices for ETHER. Consider:

1. Questyle cma600i. This headphones seems to love current mode amplification and has great synergy with this amp. Plus it's a dac/amp combo, full dsd support.  

2. Ether likes tubes. Try lyr2 or gungnir 2 with a set of NOS tubes and I think that you'll be pretty pleased. 

3. Woo makes good stuff (wa22) that pairs well with Ether but it's not cheap. 

4. On the DAC end, it's hard to go wrong with the Schiit dacs. I like the Gungnir MB personally with Ether, but the Bifrost 4490 ain't bad. 

May 4, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #2,634 of 2,843
Matt, you said: 

2. Ether likes tubes. Try lyr2 or gungnir 2 with a set of NOS tubes and I think that you'll be pretty pleased. 

I agree with your advice but I think you meant Mjolnir 2. 

May 4, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #2,635 of 2,843
Hi:blush:
I'm looking for a new HP and is now seriously considering the ETHER after reading the impressions in this thread. I'm streaming Tidal Hi Fi through Auralic Aries and use USB to connect with my Moon 430 Amp/DAC.
I have tried the HE1000, but returned them because imo, they need far to much volume to engage. It's like listening to music from a fare distance, and after 15-20 min my ears starts to hurt. In short the HEK is much to hard to my ears:fearful:
So here I am, looking for a HP that is organic, rich, musical, engaging, fun and entertaining even at lower volumes. I will happily sacrify the detailing, separation and wide soundstage of the HEK to achieve this:blush:
My question is how well do you think the ETHER will benefit from a relatively powerful Amp like the Moon 430? And to what degree do you think that the ETHER will meet my wish list mentioned above?

B/R
GB

May 4, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,636 of 2,843
  Matt, you said: 

I agree with your advice but I think you meant Mjolnir 2. 

Haha...I blame the fact that I was waiting at the fedex hub till way past my bedtime last night for my slip with terminology. 

Hi:blush:
I'm looking for a new HP and is now seriously considering the ETHER after reading the impressions in this thread. I'm streaming Tidal Hi Fi through Auralic Aries and use USB to connect with my Moon 430 Amp/DAC.
I have tried the HE1000, but returned them because imo, they need far to much volume to engage. It's like listening to music from a fare distance, and after 15-20 min my ears starts to hurt. In short the HEK is much to hard to my ears:fearful:
So here I am, looking for a HP that is organic, rich, musical, engaging, fun and entertaining even at lower volumes. I will happily sacrify the detailing, separation and wide soundstage of the HEK to achieve this:blush:
My question is how well do you think the ETHER will benefit from a relatively powerful Amp like the Moon 430? And to what degree do you think that the ETHER will meet my wish list mentioned above?

B/R
GB

IMO finesse is more important than power, although both are important. ETHER is WAAAY less demanding for power than the HEK. You won't need to get very deep into the volume knob to get ETHER rockin'. 

May 4, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #2,637 of 2,843
The most important thing for me gong forward is to be able to enjoy music without risking earbleed after 10-20 minutes. I did not feel that I was playing THAT high with the HEK, but they really hurt my ears, and I also have some tinnitus problem with one ear. Is the ETHER power hungy or will they offer a good and full musical experience also on lower listening levels? I understand that they are easy to drive:blush:

B/R
GB

May 4, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #2,638 of 2,843
The most important thing for me gong forward is to be able to enjoy music without risking earbleed after 10-20 minutes. I did not feel that I was playing THAT high with the HEK, but they really hurt my ears, and I also have some tinnitus problem with one ear. Is the ETHER power hungy or will they offer a good and full musical experience also on lower listening levels? I understand that they are easy to drive:blush:

B/R
GB

I also have tinnitus. I like to be able to play music and enjoy it at lower levels. Even though I listen at lower volume, I still want a dynamic and engaging experience. Ether does this well for me. 

But you have to know the cause of your tinnitus. If it's treble, you may want to look at a darker signature. For me, it's not treble but decibel level. 

May 4, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #2,639 of 2,843
Thanks again, my tinnitus is quite a resent problem, but I believe It is db related. I will have the opportunity to audition the ETHER paired with 430/Aries in a couple of weeks. Guess I will now after an hour or two of listening. Crossing my fingers, I really hope that ETHER is the answer, it sounds like a VERY comfortable HP with great sound qualities aswell:blush:

B/R
GB

May 4, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #2,640 of 2,843
Bursons new V2+ is getting good reviews jump on and ask if they have ETHERS.
I am running mine off an OPPO HA1, now I cleaned the internals it's opened up the sound to a new level for me.
You do need the burn in time for the Ether to open up.
Dan show cases the Ether with the SCHITT high ends..

Do try the other option available with the ETHERS pads and foams..

Oh Gratz on the buy... There is a lot of options just enjoy Dan's work of art..

Good luck my friend
Dave

Back then I was thinking between the oppo and the Taurus for an end game amp. I do remember people saying the oppo is a bit bright. Now that I changed from the LCD2s I didn't know what general direction to go. So thanks for the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back